DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

That left hook that dropped Cornelius for the second time I believe it was, was brutal.

Mikey Garcia schools Burgos as expected and a shit storm follows cause most people like 50 Cent considered his performance being unimpressive.

What... Why the hell isn't HBO showing this? Dammit. It's not like it's THAT bad of a fight. Shit at least put it on HBO2 or HBO Latino or something. I totally thought this would be on later... I wonder why NBC Sports or ESPN2 didn't try and pick it up...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana, 3rd May in a title unification bout. As somebody who rarely watches boxing compared to MMA and only watched one Maidana fight (vs. Amir Khan), what's the chances of him becoming the first to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Slim to none. I like Maidana a lot, but he's slow and he's a brawler. This will look like Mayweather vs. Baldomir or Guerrero. I mean there's always the chance Floyd got old overnight, or Maidana lands something lucky, but I doubt it. Mayweather by Unanimous, lopsided Decision.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana, 3rd May in a title unification bout. As somebody who rarely watches boxing compared to MMA and only watched one Maidana fight (vs. Amir Khan), what's the chances of him becoming the first to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr?

I already posted this 1 post above you and someone followed up saying Thurman vs. Matthyse is going to be on the undercard.

You should definitely check out Maidana vs. Broner.

I highly doubt Maidana beats Mayweather.

Some people are fooling themselves by saying Madaina can do the same thing to Mayweather that he did to Broner, but Broner was nowhere near Floyd's level.  I think it will be an interesting fight for 4 rounds though, because I feel like Maidana's pressure attack will allow him to get some shots in that time.

Guest Edwin

Khan still trying to push for decent fights which he should loss to try and keep himself relevant.

I hope it happens and Broner beats the crap out of him in a fight between 2 of most currently disliked boxers in the sport.

Guest Edwin

So far I got Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Brian Vera II as my FOTY, Marvin Sonsona's KO of Akifumi Shimoda as KOTY and round 1 of Thomas Williams Jr. vs. Cornelius White as ROTY and it's going to be pretty hard to beat them.

I disagree that it will hard to beat JCC/Vera 2 as FOTY. There was no real drama and at no time during the fight did I think that Vera could win it. Vera hit some combos but Chavez' chin is great and it didn't look like he was hurt it all.