DVDVR Message Board

WWE Money In The Bank 2013

Big Z

He didn't Giant Swing him though, did he? I guess that was sort of my point, though. I get the physics behind Henry doing that to Cena being insanely difficult, but visually, it didn't seem worth the effort to me. Which isn't to say I didn't love a lot of the other parts of the beatdown nor that I didn't appreciate the feat itself. It was just a cost/effort thing where something less difficult might have actually looked more impressive.

I thought he did giant swing him at some point?

Regardless, Mark Henry clearly reads this board.  He saw how far Cesaro got in March Madness by swinging Miz into the wall, and figured doing that to John Cena would finally lead him to victory.

Thinking about it, I feel like Sandow's superior intelligence leading to the perfect cash in time can lead to some really fun promos and storylines, but it has to eventually lead to him failing and having egg on his face, right?

Orton having the briefcase is great for one simple reason: the pop that will happen when he lines up for the punt on a fallen champion will be insane. I'm not crazy about the idea of an Orton title reign, but that moment will be one that can go on video packages and the like for years.

Is it more annoying that Jericho breaks kayfabe to explain the finish, or that he has to explain the finish to the marks that follow him on twitter?

Jericho is pretty loose with kayfabe on his twitter anyway, although not usually this blatant.

He has a history of having passive aggressive hissy fits though. Honestly the best response to him in this case is to just tweet #xpacheat at him. (which does not mean we need to get into a five page discussion on whether it exists or not). 

1) I didn't see the Ryback/Jericho match but the end sounds hilarious and amazing -- the lunkhead crybaby who has been taken down a peg by actual wrestlers (as much as one can consider The Miz that) beating a veteran like Jericho via a cheap roll-up. Did he put his feet up on the ropes? Great troll work either way.

2) They've already teased Orton/Bryan animosity and Bryan got a huge win on Randy. We all thought that was the build to a Bryan win last night but events have shown otherwise. Bryan beating Cena for the belt and then getting punted in the face right after his huge win is great and makes Randy Orton interesting once again after an endless run of DOA feuds. If that was a long-term plan, than kudos because going that route will work.

Man, this was like "Hardway Bleeding: The PPV". So many guys getting busted open legit.Of course, it was also "The Land of Shitty Finishes" so there's that.

Smackdown Money in the Bank was easily the best match of its kind in years. Stuff like Ambrose's variation on the Funk spot/skinning the cat ruled along with the Shield's involvement. Cody going nuts and busting out a fucking MUSCLE BUSTER was astounding along with him hitting the Cross Rhodes on everyone. Sandow winning does little for me, but the finish was pretty much perfect for what they're going for and I'm looking forward to the feud. Claudio was just insane throughout and the bit with him standing on Swagger's shoulders ruled, not least of which because Swagger was CLEARLY CONTENT to let Claudio win, a great character point and contrast to the match ending. Awesome match. Highlight of the whole show.

Axel vs. Miz felt a lot fucking longer than nine minutes, was agonizingly boring, and amounted to nothing. Miz is the worst face ever and while Axel has a solid moveset, neither guy knows how to build a match around the moves they're doing. Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards with a third of the time and less indy movez bullshit, but seriously no psychology whatsoever here. Just stuff happening endlessly.AJ vs. Kaitlyn was great. I loved AJ working Kaitlyn's head with heelery and working her arm, Kaitlyn sold it pretty well, AJ bumps like a CHAMP. I mean, fuck, hire back Kong just so AJ can do those folded impact bumps for her endlessly. She makes Kaitlyn's Spear look BRUTAL and the armwork sold me on Kaitlyn not being able to follow up. AJ could have sold the Spear longer and the Black Widow was applied to the stronger arm, but those are quibbles. These two are clearly the ones to build the division around, as they're 2 for 2 with great PPV outings.Jericho vs. Ryback was its own level of hell. Again, I can't believe that was anything less than fifteen hours long. At some point, Jericho just stopped giving a fuck and went from being one of the best in the world to absolute liquid dogshit in the ring. He doesn't even jump for his babyface flying forearm, for christ's sake. Ryback was trying hard but clearly got gassed and they ended up doing sloppy, slow motion renditions of better finishing sequences. And all of that for THAT bullshit finish? Nah. Fuck this match. Best thing about it was the part where it was over.

Del Rio vs. Ziggler ruled the roost. Two newer guys showing they can put on an awesome main event match without the current gen holding their hands. I'm mostly cold on Del Rio but he's been better than ever in 2013 and Dolph was just on fire throughout. Great match full of hot nearfalls and believable false finishes. Finish worked for what it was, playing the angle to draw out the chase and bridge to Dolph flying solo in a way that works in the context of the characters and story. Unsatisfying as hell obviously, but it's growing on me.Cena vs. Henry...oh man. Talk about a great match just fucking RUINED by the finish. Henry looked like a killer throughout, effortlessly shitting on Cena's superhero antics only for Cena to make him tap clean with minimal effort? Christ. The use of finisher kickouts, the dominance from Henry...shit, his trash talk and effortless crushing was SCARY in a way most monster heels aren't. The finisher trade didn't feel like the usual WWE "k my turn lol" kickouts...it was a GREAT MATCH, but it lost momentum toward the end and that finish just made Henry look like crap in a way that largely undid all the great work rebuilding him as a monster. At least have him pass out dammit.Then the Raw Money in the Bank...what a slow-ass, plodding ladder match this started out as. It had too many guys to be a story-based show and too many brawlers to be an effective spotfest. RVD did his stuff and everyone else did their stuff and it was just kinda happening until Daniel Bryan decided come hell or high water he wasn't going to let this dip below ***, lighting the whole thing on fire and making the crowd go crazy and having that useless fuck Sheamus die for his sins. Course, then there was the Axel bit. Heyman yelling at Axel for interfering was absolutely hilarious and perfect, as was the silent exchange with Punk before the final ladder hit. Orton's RKO on RVD was admittedly the best, most beautiful RKO he's hit in probably five years. I just...god, I don't care about Orton. He's a bland, CAW-esque wrestler whose idea of depth is to randomly add MOVEZ that he doesn't know how to build a match around. That's not to say he can't be involved in good matches...the Bryan series proves otherwise, as does his stuff with the Shield. But he's not a guy I want within a mile of the WWE Title anymore and the fact he's going to be in the mix again put a huge damper on my enjoyment at the end of the show.Kind of a blend of good and bad, with some bad finishes. Three legit great matches with a good women's match though, so all is not lost.

Cena vs. Henry...oh man. Talk about a great match just fucking RUINED by the finish. Henry looked like a killer throughout, effortlessly shitting on Cena's superhero antics only for Cena to make him tap clean with minimal effort? Christ. The use of finisher kickouts, the dominance from Henry...shit, his trash talk and effortless crushing was SCARY in a way most monster heels aren't. The finisher trade didn't feel like the usual WWE "k my turn lol" kickouts...it was a GREAT MATCH, but it lost momentum toward the end and that finish just made Henry look like crap in a way that largely undid all the great work rebuilding him as a monster. At least have him pass out dammit.

I liked that ending a lot, actually. Henry's a bully who cheapshot Cena left-and-right headed into this. He pulled the best fake-out in years in his retirement to lure John in (using his family to do so, which they played up as disgusting). He intimidated him non-stop with his "two for flinching" deals. He got the better of Cena one last time when he sucker punched him before working him over. But like all bullies, as soon as the odds turned against him, he cowardly got out ASAP.

Raw needs to start with Mark Henry coming up and saying he was robbed and that his losing was a bigger travesty of justice than George Zimmerman being found not guilty, so he should get a rematch.  Followed by a train of people who also say they should get a title shot, with Daniel Bryan being one of them.  Then Brad Maddox comes out and does his Mike Adamle Jr. act, and comes up with a wacky way to determine a #1 contender.

Mark Henry even had the ref help him leave; I admire the sell-job but I think Mark Henry is basically finished as a main-event monster. I wasn't in love with the match as I just see Henry as smarter than thinking one WSS would put Cena down.

I agree that Sandow will quite likely be the first to cash-in and fail. Ziggler's been getting over by escaping beatdowns - he can just walk out of the match and noone will hate on him for it too much.

I'm not 100% sure they'll rush to Cena vs Bryan, it wouldn't surprise me if they run Cena vs Henry vs Ryback or somesuch at SummerSlam. 

I enjoyed much of the PPV, though some of it made me want to smash my head against the wall.

I agree that Sandow will quite likely be the first to cash-in and fail. Ziggler's been getting over by escaping beatdowns - he can just walk out of the match and noone will hate on him for it too much.

Cena cashed in and failed.

It finally sunk in that they are really going to run with Cena vs. Orton. God that crowd tonight here in Brooklyn is going to be down right nuclear in their hatred towards that.

Considering over the years the only two people to stop Cena are Orton and Punk it makes sense to have him in the WWE title hunt. Also its been years since they fueded so its fresher than Punk/Cena
  • Like 1

I think Mark Henry is basically finished as a main-event monster.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ.

I thought the show was disappointing-ish, but looking back that's really just a reaction to the results.  Each match but the IC and Ryback matches was pretty enjoyable action.  Didn't expect Henry to win for a second, but enjoyed the hell out of the match all the same.  Would have loved a Wyatt or Brock interaction in the main.  I have nothing new to add.

Other than to point out the "I came for Katelyn" sign.  Which had me laughing hysterically.  I don't think it was a joke.

Considering over the years the only two people to stop Cena are Orton and Punk it makes sense to have him in the WWE title hunt. Also its been years since they fueded so its fresher than Punk/Cena

It's fresher, but Randy Orton is so bland right now. Unless he goes back to being a full blown sociopath its' going to be a few months of Michael Cole yelling THE VIPER IS LAYING IN WAIT TO STRIKE AND CASH IN.