DVDVR Message Board

WWE and Pro-Wrestling NOAH to make major announcement this Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, you beat me to it by seconds. Here's what I was writing:

Also, they steal away Morishima and let's say... Go? Maybe just Morishima as their Adjucated Token Japanese Wrestler. Or if Vince says "HE'S FAT!" then Go.

We're talking about Vince McMahon. He would have been absolutely enamored with him being fat. Matter of fact, the fatter the better.

Hell, I was watching the 6/12/1995 Raw yesterday as part of my 95 rewatch. There is a whole minute or two devoted to Owen and Cornette cheering on Yoko eating a comically sized bowl of white rice in preparation for his match with Lex Luger later that night. This is several months after Rodney had took four whole months off to get his weight under control THE FIRST TIME. And he's somehow fatter now than before he left the previous November after Survivor Series. 

Vince picks and chooses when he gives a shit. One day he loves it. Next day, take your fat ass to this weight loss clinic.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m imagining Vince giving the Rockabilly Honky Tonk Man protege gimmick to Shinya Hashimoto and Hash beating people with the Shake Rattle and Roll

Oh lord, Hashimoto as a silly Japanese Elvis impersonator.  "NO GODDAMIT PAL, SAY RUV!  RUV ME TENDER!  RUV!  IT'S FUNNY! HAHAHAHA"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, you beat me to it by seconds. Here's what I was writing:

Also, they steal away Morishima and let's say... Go? Maybe just Morishima as their Adjucated Token Japanese Wrestler. Or if Vince says "HE'S FAT!" then Go.

Morishima had a tryout with WWE in 2008. From what I can remember - or at least what I read between the lines - especially Hayes was very negative on him because Morishima was sold to the WWE office as Terry Gordy-like and Hayes saw it as an insult that people compared that fat Japanese guy to his "brother".

• Thanks 1

...As opposed to the sad shell of former self that Terry Gordy was the last years of his career. Wouldn't want to ruin those memories.

I think I remember that BTW. Didn't Morishima go through WLW at some point? WLW basically had an unofficial relationship with WWE at one point. 

• Like 1

It really sucks that it’s come to this for NOAH. There was a point around 2018 or so where it really seemed like they were turning a corner toward relevance again with Kiyomiya as the future ace. Obviously COVID fucked up business for everybody in Japan, but they have made one unforced error after another ever since. Someone should go to jail for the way they let Kiyomiya get chumped out on New Japan shows for the past couple of years.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 11:03 PM, Go2Sleep said:

Imagine how awesome this would've been in 2005.

Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuharu Misawa, KENTA, Naomichi Marufuji, Kensuke Sasaki, Go Shiosaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Takeshi Morishima and Akira Taue.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 5:03 PM, Go2Sleep said:

Imagine how awesome this would've been in 2005.

It’s definitely fun to fantasy book that era, but it absolutely wouldn’t have happened in 2005 because NOAH was strong and WWE wouldn’t do anything to help a competitor. It’s happening now explicitly because NOAH is weak and vulnerable to influence and therefore easy prey for WWE’s long-term efforts to get a foothold for NXT Japan (or whatever Paul ends up calling it this time around).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

It’s definitely fun to fantasy book that era, but it absolutely wouldn’t have happened in 2005 because NOAH was strong and WWE wouldn’t do anything to help a competitor. It’s happening now explicitly because NOAH is weak and vulnerable to influence and therefore easy prey for WWE’s long-term efforts to get a foothold for NXT Japan (or whatever Paul ends up calling it this time around).

No shit? You're telling me Kenta Kobashi vs. Batista wasn't going happen on a random Smackdown? Jun Akiyama wasn't going to go one on one with the Undertaker (playa)?

But yeah, I don't think NXT Japan is going to happen on any serious level when it makes more sense to spread your influence everywhere especially when other companies are working with each other. Also, that would be extremely tough if you're not going to have an official staff overseeing everything. That takes money that the parent company probably doesn't want to spend when they're already axing folks who been working with the WWE for years cause their jobs have been made redundant. Also, what means of financial support are you getting running regularly in Japan where the main companies don't even sell tickets like that? 

Work with NOAH, work with Marigold, work with this and that company over here to get folks ring time and a different look they otherwise wouldn't get just wrestling in NXT or on the main roster. That makes the most sense. You're also not committing serious money to something that's ultimately never really going to make money.

• Like 1

It’s been Paul’s dream for years. It will be a folly in much the same way NXT: UK proved to be a folly as an ongoing business concern, but it could also prove to be just as destructive to Japan as it was to the UK, which is the real shame of it all.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

I don't see how the investment in buying a Japanese promotion would pay off for TKO in the long run. You'd have to get a main event star and I doubt you could get a foreign star over as a mega star to the average  American viewer. 

6 hours ago, Robert S said:

Morishima had a tryout with WWE in 2008. From what I can remember - or at least what I read between the lines - especially Hayes was very negative on him because Morishima was sold to the WWE office as Terry Gordy-like and Hayes saw it as an insult that people compared that fat Japanese guy to his "brother".

Thank you. I totally remember that now. 

It was especially stupid to use Terry as a reference point because not only did they do the Executioner gimmick that failed but I think Vince didn't even know it was Terry? They said something to that effect on the Dark Side episode IIRC. So, "let's compare this guy to a wrestler that Vince had hired but didn't even know he hired", plus Hayes being touchy, not a good idea.

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don't see how the investment in buying a Japanese promotion would pay off for TKO in the long run. You'd have to get a main event star and I doubt you could get a foreign star over as a mega star to the average  American viewer. 

Nakamura going back to be the big cheese in NOAH would at least get them going for a few years, right? Give them a couple years to build things up...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

It’s been Paul’s dream for years. It will be a folly in much the same way NXT: UK proved to be a folly, but it could also prove to be just as destructive to Japan as it was to the UK, which is the real shame of it all.

Well guess what? It's going to to stay a dream.

Logistically and financially it would be too tough to pull off. He also wouldn't be able to convince anyone it would be successful. If he did, I would be extremely impressed cause that is the gift of gab and prowess I wouldn't expect from him working with actual successful businessmen.

It's much easier to form an alliance with already existing companies and do your own Forbidden Door type events every calendar year.

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

why buy something when you can do everything except buy it... in the spirit of how the WWE never actually owned OVW but provided talent and worked with them

• Like 3

You know, we keep seeing videos about Asuka buying stuff for a new house/flat and some kind of gaming thing. Maybe she is gearing up to moving back home and having some kind of office job with a sister company. Well, as long as it’s not working with Rossy. 

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://twitter.com/Abema_wrestling/status/1802228231241900494

AJ Styles vs. Naomichi Marufuji at Pro-Wrestling NOAH Departure 2024.

Oof, speaking of things that would've been way better in 2005.

I mean I'm glad WWE is open to working with other promotions finally, but this seems like a rare instance of them desperately playing catch-up to AEW. Good for NOAH, though, getting someone of AJ's status working for them in 2024.

Edited by Go2Sleep

Marafuji was apparently WWE's (and/or specifically PL's) choice.  NOAH gave them the option of AJ vs. whomever they wanted.