DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/12 - 6/18/2024 - It's Easy When You're Big Bill in Japan

48 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

HoB vs Patriarchy is fresh too.

Agreed - and even though I'm pretty sure we're gonna end up with an Edge/Christian reunion at the end of this, at least it's been a while and it's new-to-AEW.

• Like 1

Blackpool Combat Club came out right in front of us to start the show. Fortunately, they returned the same way, so I got to slap hands with Yuta and Danielson.

House of Black was really over! They had more signs and shirts than I thought. They were worthy main-event babyfaces.

Tony Khan said AEW would come back to Youngstown and teased that there was a big show in Pittsburgh coming up.

Pre-show matches for ROH were Marina Shafir vs. Erica Leigh and Lance Archer & The Righteous vs. Duke Davis, Ganon Jones Jr., and Victor Benjamin. My wife tapped out before the post-Collision ROH matches, but they said we were getting a Billie Starkz match and Taya Valkyrie vs. Trish Adora. The best-of-three-falls TV title match with Lee Johnson vs. Kyle Fletcher was on its way to the ring.

After the Cleveland Collision last year, Bobby Cruise told me to come down and say hi next time. So I did! I hadn't seen Bobby since my last ROH show (ROH Gold in 2004). I got pictures with him and Bryce Remsberg, who came up to say hello. Bryce and I worked together in IWC and Chikara. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I am only asking for one thing out of this EVP nonsense and that's Cutler vs Curry Man on a Zero Hour sometime.

Mostly good show, I like the quick pacing so nothing really had a chance to outstay its welcome.

• Like 6

Another good Collision this week.

I love the pivot to experimenting with HOB as faces. It'll be an easy transition in-ring as all 3 can do a killer hot tag. They'll need to tweak the gimmick a little, but it shouldn't be too hard to go less Ministry, more Brothers of Destruction. Feuding with BCG and the Patriarchy is pretty inspired booking. With the Bucks putting the tag titles in deep freeze, it's nice to see renewed focus on the trios division.

Deonna and Thunder had a nice garbage match. The table-run dropkick might have been Rosa's best executed high spot ever. Perfect video package/opening song material.

Hoping Lio Rush doesn't flake out this go around. He's such a great fit on the AEW roster. If Ogogo isn't gonna do anything but manage, following through on the tease last week of Andretti turning to join STP and keeping Lio in Top Flight would be a good idea.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The table-run dropkick might have been Rosa's best executed high spot ever.

I had to rewind that a few times because it was so well done.  Between the foot placement to 1) not break the table and 2) not flip it, and then landing sitting after the dropkick instead of laying out so as not to hit her head on it on the way down, just really well-executed.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed this order of events:

1. Mox starts cutting a post-match promo with a huge booger that has somehow made it to the outside of his nose, halfway up.
  2. Director frantically cuts to a longer shot.
  3. Promo continues.
  4. Director realizes the shot sucks, cuts back to closeup.
  5. Promo continues.
  6. "FUCK, it's still there!"  Cuts back to long shot.
  7. Bryce runs down to ringside, desperately trying to get Mox's attention, jumping up and down pantomiming "wipe your nose!"
  8. He fails, but Claudio notices.
  9. Claudio wipes the booger off.

Speaking of bodily fluids, it's not a Jay White match unless we get a massive gob of congealed spit on his lips or in his beard.  I'm convinced he can get dry mouth just walking 30 feet or so.

One other goofy thing on the show that happened right before coming out of a break: Buddy is beating up his opponent in the HoB corner.  Fans are barking.  Buddy tries to bark and it sounds weak as fuck.  Brody then barks incredibly loud, and turns, walks halfway down the steps, looks at the fans, and hits the shrug emoji ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  VPN and Triller are so worth it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2024 at 7:58 AM, AxB said:

Nigel McGuinness wins wrestling for the day, with this comment:

https://fxtwitter.com/futurafreesky/status/1802130113787723955

This was a good show. But figuring out if Buddy's Matthews' knee injury was a shoot, or a very well done work, that's a real headscratcher.

My wife asked me, "Is that real?" I took a while to answer but eventually said yes. Then we saw the angle at the end.

• Like 1

I called angle pretty early.  They usually go out of their way not to show the medical staff working on actually injured folks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

My wife asked me, "Is that real?" I took a while to answer but eventually said yes. Then we saw the angle at the end.

The thing is, we've seen the fake 'legit injury' angle so many times, and usually when it's an angle the don't have the whole match just stop. Which this did. And they did an aborted restart before properly getting underway, which really made it look like they'd gone off script. And usually when you see the fake real injury, the heel team then jumps the injured face as they're being helped to the back. Which they pointedly didn't do.

Now they did make a big show of shooting the ringside doctor trying to evaluate Buddy on the floor, but it was during PinP, so to anyone watching the TV feed (rather than the Fite feed I was on), it wouldn't seem like "Hey, they're lingering on this quite a bit".

I'm leaning towards very well done work, but there is a possibility that Buddy is really hurt, and the closing angle with Christian was hastily improvised. Which if it was, was a genius play.

Now, we know Buddy's other half is legit injured, so possibly he's taking time off to look after her a bit. But also... when Eddie Kingston made his AEW debut against Cody Rhodes and 'hurt his leg' during the match, everyone in chat (besides me) who didn't know his style thought that was real. I knew that it was just how Eddie sells. But, we know how Buddy sells. And he hasn't ever sold damage as well as he did on Saturday.

So like I said, it's confounding.

• Like 1

I liked this Collision show, but not without pining for some future adjustments. First off, the Anniversary production felt incredibly lazy. I'll take the blame for expecting a modicum of pageantry. The anniversary video was near seizure inducing in it's attempt to put every single clip into such a short amount of time. UGH! All said, they overlooked a nice opportunity to celebrate what was an interesting and at times excellent year for this the B+/- show. I do appreciate turning the show into Christian Cage's Father's Day Special. Unfortunately, the oversell of his opening promo and the dodgy live segment later didn't help. Easily Christian's weakest live segment, tho not without some nice moments. Mother Wayne's introduction was particularly wonderful. Speaking of wonderful, so too the BCC v Lio Rush/Romero/TMDK opener. Shane Haste pretending to stagger for far too long in front of a Danielson dropkick was a terrific bit of horseshit. Haste is a bit much at moments, like an Ass Boy, but I generally like this team with Nicholls. Lio Rush continues this fascinating streak. I really hope he can keep it together this time around. The Mox promo that followed was a bit goofy, but delievered well enough to look passed the lame claim of MURDER! The MJF/Rush and Shida 'Owen' Videos were well done. More, more, more! Sell, sell, sell! Deonna v Thunder was very up and down. Deonna's presentation here was so much better than her regular run of tacky cuts and unflattering designs. This was a better fit, better look. Thunder looked kinda cool in the Hardcore Wrestler gear too. In ring, Rosa looks so bad at times, but moments later she's running up a table delivering an interesting and brutal looking spot. Using a table unfolded was also an interesting idea, but maybe a bit of a (hurty) fail. I love Deonna winning. Deonna v Mercedes please! Dalton v Hechicero felt like a nice gift from the Coach, and it was. We may all have wanted more, but it was a good strong TV showcase for Hechicero. Can I order a video package on him please? And slow it down. The Outrunners and Dalton as a trio was a bit of a happy accident there. I also like the Upstate New York pairing of Garcia/Castle for the upcoming Buffalo show. Lee v Dante completely failed to excite. Both are guys I like, but both are spinning their wheels. The wrestling was fine but needed to be better. Lio Rush completely stole the quarter hour. Big Shane looks so much cooler in his non-wrestling gear. I wish he could see that and adjust. My eyes are open for STP/Flights/Rush. Build it, they will come. Being a fan of both, O'Reilly v Henry felt like a missed opportunity. If this match happened on some local Indy it would, without a shadow of a doubt, be far far better. A bit of a bummer, but I guess it was still an okay TV showcase. I wish they'd gotten 5 minutes of the House of Black v Bang Bang Gang's 18 plus. Not to say the Trios wasted their time. It was a mostly fun 'Main Event in Any Arena in the World' on Prime Time Wrestling in Future 24. Like others have mentioned on the board, I'm very pleased with the booking of the three colliding trios. I was also well satisfied with the injury angle. Totally bought it. Curious if Buddy's contract is due? AEDub-ya continues to chug along and provide an excellent weekly platform on Saturday Nights (Sunday afternoons for me). I rate it: a fair amount of customer satisfaction.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

The funny thing about this is that earlier in the match, Matthews had a bit where the Gunns fed that looked way better.

Malakai can go when he wants to, then he takes 6 weeks “off”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I called angle pretty early.  They usually go out of their way not to show the medical staff working on actually injured folks.

Yeah, the bar I went to Saturday night (neighborhood guy opens a cross between hipster dive, cocktail lounge and tiki bar so you can get a $2 mug of Hamms beer, a mai tai or some rotating cocktail he came up with all in the same place or cheap pours of tons of whiskey, tequila, scotch, bourbon, rum, etc all in the same place) had Collison on their patio TV with no sound so I kept flip flopping on if it was real or not deciding on if they're showing it like that then it's a work especially compared to how WWE treated Damien Priest getting caught on the ropes earlier in the day with tight shots on Drew.

• Like 2

Haven’t finished collision but I share @HarryArchieGusthoughts on the Deonna-Rosa no DQ match. It paled in comparison to some of the other recent street fights/No DQ matches the women have had (and not just on the lack of color. Both had great street fight looks going, and I agree that Deonna might consider something along those lines for ring gear. The table ramp dropkick spot was innovative and well-executed, I was terrified when I saw what Rosa was going to do. Nailed it perfectly. And the right woman went over.

• Like 1

I'll say this... Rosa makes Deonna's submission look like the most painful submission I've seen in a good long time. Deonna does a good job of selling the move herself (and wrestlers selling their own offense is a lost art), but when Rosa was fighting to get to the ropes while in the hold, it looked brutal.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 8:35 PM, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I'd have zero problems with Hangman and Swerve letting bygones be gone and realize they're better friends than enemies

They're all garbage, but HANGMAN IS A TERRIBLE FRIEND.

Also, THE OUTRUNNERS ARE THE NEW BOYS.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

Re: Rampage
Toni Storm v Alex Windsor with the Timeless entrance was a nice start to the show. Windsor has been quietly an excellent addition to the Division. Definitely someone to develop. Not a blowaway bout, but a strong TV showcase for both. It's neat seeing Toni using the Storm Zero 'out of nowhere'. Harley Cameron promo was wacky and delightful as per usual. Nice Deonna-Thunder Video to build to their no DQ. I skipped the Gates squash. Big preference for Gates in competitive matches to squashes. Creative badly needs to move passed 'In Action' for every big guy they don't push but don't want to beat. Death to 'In Action' on TBS and TNT. Romero v Umino was another strong TV bout. No complaints about Competitive enhancement matches. Ffwd Satnam squash. Jay Lethal v Pac was an excellent competitive TV match. Nice win for Pac. Lethal continues to provide nothing but quality enhancement. Great, great hand. Terrific mechanic. I like reheating Pac, but I want a bigger win on a bigger stage this next time around. A real lack of backstage promos on the weekend shows this week. The flow of the shows benefit from more promos, but nice to see more and more videos. Slowing down said videos to show actual action and letting them breathe would be a steady improvement. As is they're a lot ADD. Minor qualm aside, I didn't not have fun. 

• Like 1

They really nailed the street fight outfits in the Deonna/Thunder match. I think I've actually seen two women wearing those exact clothes fight in a bar before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Yeah, the bar I went to Saturday night (neighborhood guy opens a cross between hipster dive, cocktail lounge and tiki bar so you can get a $2 mug of Hamms beer, a mai tai or some rotating cocktail he came up with all in the same place or cheap pours of tons of whiskey, tequila, scotch, bourbon, rum, etc all in the same place) had Collison on their patio TV with no sound so I kept flip flopping on if it was real or not deciding on if they're showing it like that then it's a work especially compared to how WWE treated Damien Priest getting caught on the ropes earlier in the day with tight shots on Drew.

Damn, that sounds awesome.  Next time I'm down Milwaukee way I'll buy you a mai tai.

• Like 2