DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/5 - 6/11/2024 - Domo Arigato Deonna Purrazzo

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AxB said:

Saraya hitting a Fisherman's Buster that really made you appreciate how softly and safely Shinya Hashimoto used to do them. 

On a Luch

Holy fuck that move looked brutal.  It definitely looked like Mariah took it straight down on her head.

Speaking of things that looked like injuries, there were back to back spots in the Briscoe/Cage match when Cage was on the floor for an uncomfortably long time and it felt like Briscoe was stalling because Cage was hurt.  Glad that wasn't the case.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

DYNAMITE 6/5

Reveal hidden contents

- I muted the open after Max hit the totally expected "can't understand the Mexican" line. Rush isn't Andrade, also we know you love cheap heat/cheap pops and have an intentionally tired, corny promo style that for some reason people eat up but I don't need to hear more of it after running down all the main eventers. Swerve is fine on the mic too and probably will smoke you on it in the future. At the same time I'm down for this feud. Rush and Max kinda look like brothers so if you squint it'll be like somebody hitting their twin or something. 

- A four-way? With Jay Lethal? Can't we just get KOR vs. Orange? That sounds interesting at least. They start off like this is a Cibernetico with only two guys in the ring then they trade partners until everyone gets a turn. Then everyone runs in and they do the "everyone knocked down" spot that they always have to do in tags and multi-mans. It's like there having to be a rail ride in a NOAH match, or a kneebar spot in a UWF match. KOR blocks a dragon screw and drops into a cross armbreaker in a neat spot. They go home pretty soon after the commercials. Don't know what the hell Statlander is wearing, did she tear up a turtleneck to add to a bra? 

- Mark is probably gonna just be a good midcard hand the rest of his career but it doesn't matter. He is always gonna be over and fun to watch. We get a little extra redneck kung-fu tonight and a spot with the ref and a chair that may have been an ad-lib to let Cage recover initially, but got paid back later so I'm not sure. Forgot that Mark is the ROH champ though so hey, he's got a belt, he's still up there. 

- The 4-on-4 is really good. CMLL guys work just fine with BCC. Everything is fluid and there seemed to be no mistakes that I noticed. Esfinge does some neat stuff, Magnus eats most of the offense, but everybody gets a moment. They do a lot of team spots but it doesn't look contrived which is hard to do. It's got to have an edge of messiness and improvisation and that seems to be the case here; at the same time BCC look like they can finish each other's sentences which is also a big part. Most importantly, YUTER IS BACK baby! There are a lot of cool matches he could have now. 

- The Dangerous Alliance bit cracked me up 😄 Now I'm imagining an ECW DA. Who would Taz have been? Crusher Zbyszko? 

- Saraya does a lot of crowd work and general BS. It's quite nice for a change. Gnarly DDT from her too. I'm not even gonna speculate about the potential fanfic that the closing trio of women smooshing against each other in the middle of the ring encourages.

- Danielson promo makes it look like he's had a whole year of going out on his back, as tradition dictates. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan... that is, if he actually planned on retiring. Which I will believe when police officers bely the attraction of physical gravity. 

I'll report back on the main later. Oh, and this Jericho crap is really stupid. 

I've mentioned my amusement at bland wrestlers who get the "great technical wrestler" gimmick to the point where smart fans believe in it...well MJF got the "promo" version of that gimmick.  His gimmick is "I'm a guy who cuts charismatic, excellent heel promos."  Funny thing is, he's repeated it enough that smarts believe it.  It's maddening.  For every one really good promo he cuts, there are 5-6 that are cringey, or too insider, or "your local sports team sucks."  I really want to like the guy as a talent but when the best you got is "hurr hurr I can't understand the foreigner" and "you can't get a woman wet," that's fucked.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Saraya wasn't doing a fisherman's buster it's an elevated DDT that used to be called the Rampaige, unsure what it's called now. She won the title with it at Wembley. Unfortunately and this has happened twice now, some of the girls don't take a faceplant bump and take a flipbump and it looks nasty. Do love her submission though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I've mentioned my amusement at bland wrestlers who get the "great technical wrestler" gimmick to the point where smart fans believe in it...well MJF got the "promo" version of that gimmick.  His gimmick is "I'm a guy who cuts charismatic, excellent heel promos."  Funny thing is, he's repeated it enough that smarts believe it.  It's maddening.  For every one really good promo he cuts, there are 5-6 that are cringey, or too insider, or "your local sports team sucks."  I really want to like the guy as a talent but when the best you got is "hurr hurr I can't understand the foreigner" and "you can't get a woman wet," that's fucked.

It's funny that the word on MJF was that he was this amazing promo talent but a little lacking in-ring. I find him to be waaaaay better of a wrestler than a promo. He can bring the fire when he wants to, but so much of the time he goes for the lazy punchline/payoff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Log said:

It's funny that the word on MJF was that he was this amazing promo talent but a little lacking in-ring. I find him to be waaaaay better of a wrestler than a promo. He can bring the fire when he wants to, but so much of the time he goes for the lazy punchline/payoff.

It's insane.  There's this whole storyline where he was redeemed from being a complete piece of shit via the power of friendship, where Adam Cole became the only friend he ever had in his whole life, which made him a better person.  And that guy betrayed him.  There's so much incredible shit to mine from that.  Cole can't work right now but shit, have MJF battle his way through Cole's goons for six months.  Use the pathos of this incredible story.

Instead, the Cole thing is blown off and we get an insta-program with Rush and "you can't get a lady to self-lubricate."  Sweet Jesus what the everloving fuck?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

Re: MJF the big problem for me is that he hasn't really evolved or developed his promos at all.  It's pretty much always the same points delivered in the same way.  The other big problem is he badly needs an editor.  His shit is repetitive and would be more effective at half the length.

I think the CM Punk program probably hurt his character in the long run.  It took the obvious subtext of his character, that his ego and bravado mask deep insecurity, and didn't just make it text, but made it big blinking neon text over and over again.

• Like 5

Someone on Bluesky called MJF “Andrew Dice Friedman” and it’s fucking perfect. The MJF who talks forever and has lame, racist insults is back, joy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

What if the story ends up being Ospreay wins at Forbidden Door, Danielson wins the Owen Cup, Danielson beats Ospreay at Wembley after Osprey refuses to do the Tiger Driver 91, then at WrestleDream Ospreay wins the belt back hitting the ultimate “death move” and ending Bryan’s full time career? There needs to be a big payoff to eliminating the Tiger Driver 91, and having it cost Ospreay everything at Wembley seems perfect to me.

I love this idea and I am the captain of Team Short-Title-Reigns-Are-Actually-Fine, but I have a hard time imagining AEW booking Ospreay’s first reign to last less than 2 months.

It would be Fine if they did, though! Especially with a good story like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Someone on Bluesky called MJF “Andrew Dice Friedman” and it’s fucking perfect. The MJF who talks forever and has lame, racist insults is back, joy...

Holy fuck, Dice was the first thing I thought when he showed up in that custom leather jacket last night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the show last night and it looks like they are building towards The Young Bucks becoming Mr Burns when tried to block out the sun. This has to be leading to Hangman returning and becoming the unlikely hero for AEW fighting The Bucks.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Acceptable TV main event. Hands were a-slappin' on them thighs though. The powerbomb-into-powerslam was neat. 

I have no shame in saying 'I very much like the slap sound effect when performed with precision.' 

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

You make an excellent point. Consistency is lacking, but I'd need to see a list of promos with brief descriptions to work out a number of hits to misses. The 5-6 number is a bit high. 

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Re: MJF the big problem for me is that he hasn't really evolved or developed his promos at all.  It's pretty much always the same points delivered in the same way.  The other big problem is he badly needs an editor.  His shit is repetitive and would be more effective at half the length.

I think the CM Punk program probably hurt his character in the long run.  It took the obvious subtext of his character, that his ego and bravado mask deep insecurity, and didn't just make it text, but made it big blinking neon text over and over again.

It would be hard to agree that the Punk feud was anything but a huge positive for Friedman. That said, you make a helluva point and the aftermath seems pretty accurate. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'd rather they keep the Continental since it has the built in gimmick of going to someone new every year in the CC.  That's at least a twist that sets it apart from the other titles.

I liked the LU gimmick with the "Gift of the Gods" title, where when you won all the medallions for the belt, you could cash it in for a title shot.

They should've ripped that off where TK or someone puts 11 mcguffins in play, and whomever has them when the CC starts get in the tournament along with whomever holds the title.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

MJF was blessed with great timing, but cursed with poor common sense. That's why most of his promos (nothing more than lines lifted from Twitter trolls) stand out to some, because he has the timing to make the delivery sound good. It's Eddie Izzard's old tenet; it's 70% how you look, 20% how you sound, 10% what you say.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

With the finals on July 10, I assume the Owen Cup starts before Forbidden Door so the loser of Swerve/Ospreay wouldn't be in it to win the Wembley shot (Last year's started the night before FD). Bryan's promo was excellent and I'd be down with him winning it, but I could see him ultimately losing in the final too.

Enjoyed Saraya/Mariah and yeah the old Rampaige finish, snap version, was memorable. Looking forward to both Toni/Mina and Mone/Vaquer a lot. Good to see Yuta, and Mark Briscoe too, back.  Thought Swerve/Strong was pretty great, dug the earlier Strong video promo for it.  Rush/MJF should be a fun feud.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

MJF was blessed with great timing, but cursed with poor common sense. That's why most of his promos (nothing more than lines lifted from Twitter trolls) stand out to some, because he has the timing to make the delivery sound good. It's Eddie Izzard's old tenet; it's 70% how you look, 20% how you sound, 10% what you say.

You get a like for metioning Eddie Izzard. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I approach all Saraya matches assuming lots of character work. I'm a fan of said character and thought she brought it very well here. Dynamic offense isn't her game, but I'd say the Buster and submission fit that bill.

Saraya & Harley would be a perfect old school heel tag team.  Harley just oozes charisma, and Saraya has character work and working a crowd down. They would be perfect to run roughshod over a ladies tag division, cheating their hearts out and stealing wins.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Really need womens tag belts.  I really hope that the mixed tag belts aren't happening, because it would be a travesty for a niche belt liked mixed tag happening before womens tag 

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

DYNAMITE 6/5

- A four-way? With Jay Lethal? Can't we just get KOR vs. Orange? That sounds interesting at least.

Coach Tony hears you and has made that match for Collision!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

I liked the LU gimmick with the "Gift of the Gods" title, where when you won all the medallions for the belt, you could cash it in for a title shot.

They should've ripped that off where TK or someone puts 11 mcguffins in play, and whomever has them when the CC starts get in the tournament along with whomever holds the title.

The rankings could have been used- top willing entrants (folks could opt out- like if they had a world title shot/are hurt/etc) , the champ, and whoever else wants to put their belt on the line for 11 of the entrants, and then a last chance battle royal to get in.   The other 10 entrants are put into blocks, the champ gets to choose his block, and the battle royal winner goes in the other block.

I'm all in on MJF being much better in ring than on mic, though he can deliver on the mic when he's got the right material and someone who can get him to not be lazy.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

What if the story ends up being Ospreay wins at Forbidden Door, Danielson wins the Owen Cup, Danielson beats Ospreay at Wembley after Osprey refuses to do the Tiger Driver 91, then at WrestleDream Ospreay wins the belt back hitting the ultimate “death move” and ending Bryan’s full time career? There needs to be a big payoff to eliminating the Tiger Driver 91, and having it cost Ospreay everything at Wembley seems perfect to me.

I kinda feel like the TD91 thing should bite him against Swerve at Forbidden Door if they're gonna follow up on that as an angle. You can't have him beat Swerve giving less than 100%, then all of a sudden he needs higher quality stuff to beat other guys.

10 hours ago, WebConn89 said:

I watched the show last night and it looks like they are building towards The Young Bucks becoming Mr Burns when tried to block out the sun. This has to be leading to Hangman returning and becoming the unlikely hero for AEW fighting The Bucks.

Yes, but when he was last seen, there were clear signs of a heel turn, and with Swerve as the World Champion at the moment, it would make those signs hard to ignore going forward. But yes, otherwise it sounds exactly the logical way to go. If Kenny is well enough at some point, those guys can even join forces again, to beat The Bucks.

• Like 2

I still wanna see Hangman reunite with Silver and Reynolds. Let them rebuild their friendship and build up Hangman once again who clearly lost his way. I know Silver and Reynolds are way down the card (if they even make it onto a card) but they are good and funny enough too warrant tv time and side by side with Hangman they could clearly regain enough credibility to challenge for tag team gold and win trios gold together with Hangman. Behind Best Friends never winning gold, one of AEWs biggest feel-good-misses still is that Silver-Reynolds-Hangman didn't win the trios titles together.

• Like 3

Toni going silver instead of blonde, falling on her way up to the ring, and the chunky necklace all seemed intended to evoke being older, in contrast to Mina... and Mariah taking a step forward in her Toni attire to the Outcasts period... I think the catalyst for breaking up Toni and Mariah will be a combination of Mariah 1) in some way overtly choosing Mina over Toni, and 2) doing so as "Timeless" Mariah May.

I cannot tell if that's Mariah turning heel on Toni and incapacitating her with the goal of replacing her, or Toni waking up and seeing Mariah as a threat to her place atop the division and incapacitating her, and I appreciate that either possibility makes sense.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

Saraya & Harley would be a perfect old school heel tag team.  Harley just oozes charisma, and Saraya has character work and working a crowd down. They would be perfect to run roughshod over a ladies tag division, cheating their hearts out and stealing wins.

I wouldn't mind seeing them add a third, a technician, somebody to carry the work load. Deeb? Hirsh?

• Like 2