DVDVR Message Board

June 2024 Wrestling Talk

Ricochet and Chuck Taylor had a touring match, I believe.

I think Jimmy Jacobs and Alex Shelley did, too. Although, it may have been Jacobs and someone else.

• Like 1

the talk on Between the Sheets about how long territory era shows went and when the cards started makes me think that some places either intentionally/unintentionally ran their shows more like a movie where it's under 2 hours and you can go out and catch a movie in the evening as opposed to a sporting event where even the short events are 2 1/2 hours

So, how short is too short for a show? or how much would you pay for a house show that goes under 2 hours

1. You didn't want to burn out those same fans coming back next week. 

2. Guys had to drive x hours to get home or to the next town after the show. Esp if you were in a place like Mid South, where you had to stay until the end of the show.

• Like 3

Don't ask me why, but lately, I've been thinking a lot about Hulk Hogan's color-schemes before he settled on the yellow tights/boots, red kneepad look for good.

I think I'm partial to the light blue tights/boots with red pads look, but the all white is nice, too.

I also have a soft spot for his New Japan black tights/pads with silver boots look.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Was Snuka vs Metal Maniac the pro wrestling version of Globetrotters vs Generals?

I called three of these matches in three different states in one weekend (Dover, OH; Buckhannon, WV; Mt. Washington, PA)

• Like 9

Log is right about Jacobs-Shelley, and I would add Sydal-Delirious. Of course, there's Punk-Cabana, as we drove them from Cleveland to Pittsburgh a few times. Good luck getting them in the same car now.

• Like 3

My absolutely favorite live wrestling experiences these last couple of years were the two Tokyo Joshi Pro shows that have come to Southern California recently. Each show Two hours long almost to the exact minute, match cards of 5 or 6 matches but with variety on all of them and the main event being the stand out match. Enough action and variety to feel like you got a full show but no points where the crowd burned out.

Oddly enough the other show that did that a little while back was a Circle 6 deathmatch show. That one was actually only 1 hour and 45 minutes but the violence escalated gradually from each match with the main event being an all out war and no one went home thinking they didn't see enough action. 

Of course they had to screw that up with their next local show being a bloated deathmatch tournament that was SIX HOURS to final bell, but at least they got the "leave them wanting more" right before. 

I really think a tight two hours is the absolute best way to save for 1 or 2 "super" shows a year, though I do think that places extra strain on making sure your main event/final match of the night REALLY connects, which to be fair the shows I mentioned previously did a fantastic job of doing so. 

• Like 3

I remember going to the first 1PW show here in the UK which started at 6pm and the main event (AJ Styles vs Abyss) went into the ring at 10 to midnight. A family sat near to us left at one point on the insistence of the dad despite the kids crying because they were desperate to see AJ Styles.

Speaking of TJPW, there was a TJPW match on a fashion show called Wangmania today:

wang-mania.jpeg

It also featured musical performances, one which was a surprise appearance by 

Spoiler

Kanye West

of all people.

Did they get a photo op like the Sukeban talent did with Saweetie?

Between Saweetie and Sexyy Red, pro wrestling is starting to get really out there with cameos. Also, it's my two worlds converging and I don't like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Between Saweetie and Sexyy Red, pro wrestling is starting to get really out there with cameos. Also, it's my two worlds converging and I don't like that.

If Tsukasa Fujimoto is the guest at a Beach Bunny concert, my brain will melt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

1. You didn't want to burn out those same fans coming back next week. 

2. Guys had to drive x hours to get home or to the next town after the show. Esp if you were in a place like Mid South, where you had to stay until the end of the show.

I wonder how much data would have been used in the territories if any.

I say that because for example watching Southeastern or Continental depending on what year it is, when they do the event rundown for the next cards the belltime was usually 8 p.m. However, depending on the market the show was taped for, it was likely a school night/weekday the day the most promoted card would be on. How much is that factoring in people getting off of work, going home and having dinner/supper, running whatever errands, and finally driving to said event? At the same time, if the show is Monday night, are you really going fuck around and be tired at work the next day cause of the wrestling show? Are you really getting home at around 11:30 or midnight cause you had to see the Rat Pack and also Mr. Olympia rassle Jimmy Golden? That goes especially since the very next week, you can see the same people in some of the same matches with different stipulations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The first promotion to score a cameo from RXKNephew will truly win the wrestling wars.

F1rst Wrestling does a pretty good job making an event a fun experience. Especially their Wrestlepalooza or other bigger shows. They’ll usually break the wrestling matches up with two different burlesque dancers and then either a band or rapper for the intermission. It really fits the scene here. Very fun.

• Like 1

Hadn't checked this thread in a few days, so I kinda missed the "customs" conversations...

When I was working the Ohio indies hard from 2007-2011, customs were a big thing that the females did, and a select few of the guy did.  When Cody Hawk was in charge of HWA, they were absolutely using their arena to shoot customs.

I was never involved so I don't know how risque they got with them, but what went on was pretty secretive. I think Lady Victoria was pretty heavily involved with setting things up.  HWA also had a pretty strong drug culture, and I always kid of assumed that went hand in hand with the customs stuff...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gorman said:

I called three of these matches in three different states in one weekend (Dover, OH; Buckhannon, WV; Mt. Washington, PA)

Wow! I know it's been a while, but do you remember who won those matches? I'm sure it must have been pretty even, right? ...Right?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Speaking of TJPW, there was a TJPW match on a fashion show called Wangmania today:

wang-mania.jpeg

It also featured musical performances, one which was a surprise appearance by 

Reveal hidden contents

Kanye West

of all people.

They couldn’t get Puffy? Oh wait this was a Joshi show. On that note are we sure we wanted Kanye there? He probably told people he was there “Geisha shopping”.

Unrelatd note how long would Cody have had to stay in AEW before we got something like this? 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the talk on Between the Sheets about how long territory era shows went and when the cards started makes me think that some places either intentionally/unintentionally ran their shows more like a movie where it's under 2 hours and you can go out and catch a movie in the evening as opposed to a sporting event where even the short events are 2 1/2 hours

So, how short is too short for a show? or how much would you pay for a house show that goes under 2 hours

When I started going to house shows at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in the spring of 1982, they started at 8:00 and were over between 10:45 and 11:00. I've seen ads from a year or two before that where they started at 8:30 and I'm assuming they still ended between 10:45 and 11:00, due to the "curfew". The "Main Event" wasn't the last match of the show in the WWF, so people would start leaving before the last match which usually featured Ivan Putski or Backlund vs. a lower level challenger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

When I started going to house shows at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in the spring of 1982, they started at 8:00 and were over between 10:45 and 11:00. I've seen ads from a year or two before that where they started at 8:30 and I'm assuming they still ended between 10:45 and 11:00, due to the "curfew". The "Main Event" wasn't the last match of the show in the WWF, so people would start leaving before the last match which usually featured Ivan Putski or Backlund vs. a lower level challenger.

did Pennsylvania have the same thing about paying overtime to union workers or did they just export the concept to other parts of the WWWF/WWF to give people an idea of when the show ends?

Speaking of Unions.. the Smoky Mountain segment on BTS about the formation of the Federation of International Thugs and Eliminators makes me wonder how Cornette doing a heel Union gimmick went over in the parts of Kentucky which are pretty heavily unionized by Mine Workers. That would just be more of an issue for the parts of the territory that are in Kentucky since I think he wasn't exactly going into West Virginia by that time for several reasons. "Thugs claiming to be a Union" would have went over a little worse in West Virginia than Kentucky. He might has well have just run a Pinkertons gimmick to see if he could get a wrestler stabbed in some part of WV where everything is named after Robert C. Byrd.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

did Pennsylvania have the same thing about paying overtime to union workers or did they just export the concept to other parts of the WWWF/WWF to give people an idea of when the show ends?

Yeah it was not wanting to pay overtime along with kind of knowing when things will wrap up, remember a segment of fans especially at MSG took public transportation to and from the arena, in Pittsburgh they needed to make sure people would be able to get out and to the PAT Buses before say 11:30.

After the expansion I think they were fine with going past 11PM on Saturday nights, since they were running double shots and not everyone was at the building on time, that's why there were endless opening matches.

• Like 1