DVDVR Message Board

June 2024 Wrestling Talk

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I can't hear what Flair is saying, but he's using his real person voice, talking slow, and there seems to be a lot of awe and gravity behind it.  He's probably fixing to cry.  Meanwhile Mike is just "yeah yeah hi how ya doin'" and going back to greeting fans.

And that's always been Mike's demeanor. He isn't the mark out type of guy. 

• Like 1

I havent poked into the AEW thread so its entirely possible someone else already threw this out in there. 

I am wondering now if Will Ospreay taking the title from Swerve got bumped up to Forbidden Door so they can pull the trigger on the big Ospreay vs Ricochet rematch in AEW at Wembley. 

18 hours ago, Octopus said:

I think Ricochet in AEW could be a lot like Claudio. A great athlete and well respected worker who was looked at as uncharismatic and then in AEW finding a personality that fits them as they wrestle. 
Oh, and THE FLOOR IS OPEN FOR QUESTIONS

Serious question: is Claudio doing any better now than he did in WWE? To me it seems that he is about on the same level of push and overness as he was in WWE.

• Like 2

I’d have to see when Bruce MacArthur, who was friends with Flair in that military academy Flair was sent to as a teenager, got an executive position with the Blackhawks.  (Bill Wirtz died in 2007, so sometime I think around then).

of course, in Kayfabe, Flair was a Lakers fan, partially because of Worthy and partially it made sense for him gimmick, esp co trashed with Dusty and the Celtics. (See our historical basketball discussion about race in some other thread) 

34 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Serious question: is Claudio doing any better now than he did in WWE? To me it seems that he is about on the same level of push and overness as he was in WWE.

He had his run with the ROH title, but arguably that's a demotion from where he was in WWE. (Where the equivalent would probably be the NXT title.)  Has great matches, but doesn't seem to move up the card.  Which, you know, sounds familiar. 

Maybe he needs to reach out and grab that brass ring!  

• Haha 1

I thought it when he was in WWE, and I think it now, Claudio is in the spot he should be in. He’s just not a world title guy, IMO. He’s a perfect upper-card gatekeeper. The dude you need to beat before you can get to the champ’s level. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I havent poked into the AEW thread so its entirely possible someone else already threw this out in there. 

I am wondering now if Will Ospreay taking the title from Swerve got bumped up to Forbidden Door so they can pull the trigger on the big Ospreay vs Ricochet rematch in AEW at Wembley. 

That'd be the most TNA thing Tony could do, hot shoting the big belt off a hot hand to run back a highlight package from 10 years ago.  Especially when we know Ricochet 's going to end up in the "work Rampage ever 5 weeks" pile after the viral moment recreation period is over. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

Wrong thread. The questions go elsewhere, but that’s fine.

I was literally talking about appearing more comfortable as a character. I always thought he was awkward in WWE and he has a groove to him in AEW. Not about card placement.

• Like 3

I haven’t watched WWE in a long time so I haven’t seen Ricochet in a long time but has he gotten really over or developed into a great in ring guy?

Back in the day I always preferred him to Ospreay but Will bulked up to heavyweight and became a legitimate contender for best in the world. Unless Ricochet has stepped up his game in some ways to a great deal I’d say he’s a tv opponent for Ospreay to beat in 10 minutes and that’s that. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

In the 90s Flair always used Charles Barkley as his go-to NBA reference…I believe they were friends.

In fact, Barkley heeled it up on Suns fans alongside Flair during the 12/4/95 Nitro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Boy that'd be a mistake. I'm not sure I think Ospreay is going into All In as champion, but I definitely don't think he's getting Ricochet at All In. 

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

I haven’t watched WWE in a long time so I haven’t seen Ricochet in a long time but has he gotten really over or developed into a great in ring guy?

Back in the day I always preferred him to Ospreay but Will bulked up to heavyweight and became a legitimate contender for best in the world. Unless Ricochet has stepped up his game in some ways to a great deal I’d say he’s a tv opponent for Ospreay to beat in 10 minutes and that’s that. 

Both have grown, but Ospreay has gotten further ahead the past few years.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 11:18 PM, EVA said:

Counterpoint: Ricochet will not insist on doing a terrible politician gimmick that even WWE shitcanned.

I ain't gonna lie, five minutes after I hit post the same thought crossed my mind 😄

• Haha 1

Creed's contract is up this year, too. He's been treading water a long time. I wonder if he'd consider at least taking TK's call...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

Ricochet is jacked. He's a high flyer who looks like his shit actually hurts. He just needs somewhere new to reinvent. Vince flushed him away to Main Event so bad that even though HHH has been trying, it's time to go and be a star elsewhere. And he's one of HHH's guys. 

14 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Creed's contract is up this year, too. He's been treading water a long time. I wonder if he'd consider at least taking TK's call...

I could see Creed calling it a career to just be a full time streamer or doing whatever with his doctorate. The only place he’d be booked on top is TNA, which means fuck all. If he went to AEW, and that’s if Tony would even want him, then he’s basically taking a payday for less dates. With no more access to UUDD since I think WWE owns part of that now. Xavier just doesn’t work without Kofi. And UUDD is something of a pretty big brand. 

UUDD was at it's biggest in the pandemic, when their biggest show was Uno with Creed, Adam Cole, Claudio and Breeze as the regular players. Three quarters of that group is out of WWE now.

The six-man pitting The Elite vs The New Day is probably off the table with Big E's injury, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has nothing to offer as a singles guy. And taking a payday to work less dates would help with his love of doing things other than wrestling as well.

• Like 2