DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/29 - 6/4/2024 - I'm Turning On Willow, I Really Think So!

6 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I'm going to try to be careful how I word this, because I mean no ill will towards the person behind the performer, but I don't understand the appeal of Kyle O'Reilly at all. Again, I'm glad he's healthy and he's able to ply his trade again, but that guy has the charisma of a manila envelope. Why are we using precious tv minutes featuring a guy that does not appear to have the ability to attract and maintain viewers?

I mean, if you watched the match with Ospreay and can't see what KOR brings to the table I don't know what to tell you. He's really good between the ropes. Unique striking offense and quick submissions, great timing, great mind for creative sequences utilizing his and his opponents' moves, etc. Yeah, he doesn't have the charisma of a top guy, but that's why he's putting over Ospreay not the other way around. He's an ideal midcarder for AEW who's always gonna give you a good match, can probably find tag chemistry with any number of people, and would be a solid secondary belt holder if they wanted. They aren't "wasting time" trying to get him to the next level, they're using him as they should making their tippy top guys look like tough bastards for beating him and giving the fans good back and forth matches.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

The problem with that is that beating Kyle means nothing and you can get, for lack of a better term, "just a good match" out of much of the roster as is. His biggest win since his return is what... Bryan Keith? He's very solid in the ring (I dug him pre-injury) but he's booked as a loser and he's not special enough in the ring to make up for that. If he was just in a sort of "finding his way post-injury" deal that'd be one thing; this was his 3rd title match in the past 5 or 6 weeks! They are running a deal with Garcia wanting to get some wins to prove he's worth a shot at Ospreay's belt the same time they are giving shots to guys coming off multiple high profile losses. Or to put it a better way... imagine how much better of a match it'd have been if they invested anything into Kyle first.

To be fair this was an amazingly throw away show, I had to go check if Johnny Lastname was under contract to figure out if the entire show pre-main was people under AEW contract vs people who don't work here. If one missed this show (and I missed solid stretches of it) you really missed nothing in the overall ongoing tale that is AEW.

• Like 1

Yeah, but that's a totally separate issue than "What does KOR bring to the table?"

Everyone knows there's too many belts and too many foregone conclusion matches that are presented as "not foregone conclusion matches" every (non-ppv) show in AEW. It's a totally valid criticism of TK's overall booking philosophy, but within that paradigm, KOR is a pretty good cog.

• Like 3

I'm really confused as to why Hechicero joined the Cage of Agony. And how exactly is he going to bring them to passion?

We BRIEFLY had a glimpse of a return of THE WINGMEN.

Speaking of returns, when Lio Rush showed up, I went "oh look, he's back to retire again."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Best parts of Collision:

• Cage of Agony's big alley oop finish where the guy went sailing into the lights.
  • Thunder Rosa hitting a dominator and then going "I can work with anyone." post match.
  • JD Drake toughing it out and getting rewarded by the fans popping huge for his moonsault.
  • The way they built to the giant swing in the Claudio match, including Johnny using the Fujiwara headstand escape (usually for a crab) and the awesome block of the low blow. 
  • Like 2

I noticed no mention of the main so I'm not sure if you're avoiding it.  But if so then I think it's worth a look.  I get that Ospreay can be maddening but the work Kyle did on the arm steered the match into pretty damn awesome territory.

• Like 1

Re: Rampage
Great mat action all over the Bs and Cs this week. Takeshita v Penta was the slick hard hitting sprint I hoped for. Brother Fenix v Brother Zay was a nice showcase for sensational Rey. The Learning Tree promo left a little to be desired. After a refreshing start with the new gimmick, Jericho continues to struggle to find a balance with his  goofy desires. Roddy/Kingdom promo was fine. Singh v Avalon provided a small thrill. Cage of Agony promo was good - as per usual now. Toa speaks! So... they're going with that name? Hechicero is an odd addition, but I'm up for whatever it takes to get more of this incredible talent on my TV. Toni v Viva Van was a terrific TV match. Toni's star is bursting. The Harley/Saraya promo that followed was good. The clapping was a touch awkward without a bed of crowd noise. The Storm/May promo rebuttal was perhaps the highlight of the show. Expectations are in check, but looking forward to Saraya v Mariah. O'Reilly squash was solid. It feels like Kyle's hard work and fun return run is slowly registering with the audience at large. Johnny TV/Taya promo was good. I like the modicum of steam Friday promoing provides for the Saturday matches. Very good Rampage as has become the norm save for a misfire here or there. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I noticed no mention of the main so I'm not sure if you're avoiding it.  But if so then I think it's worth a look.  I get that Ospreay can be maddening but the work Kyle did on the arm steered the match into pretty damn awesome territory.

I shall live with my decision. I don't want to see anyone do limbwork with Ospreay. At this point, I kind of like the story based around him being afraid to do the Tiger Driver 91 or the Hidden Blade because he doesn't want to hurt people. He's going to drop his selling down the stretch. No one actually wants to see him sell anyway. Don't build matches around that. It's the old parable of me twenty years ago being frustrated when RVD didn't sell the leg when I should have been frustrated that Benoit had decided to spend ten minutes working it anyway. I'm into the idea that Ospreay is Wolverine or Kenshin and that you have to tell unique stories around him being able to win but not being willing to pay the cost or not wanting to lose his humanity. "Can he win without killing and while using the dull end of his blade?" etc. Otherwise, I like him up against the Jimmy Hart Family where a manager causes a bunch of interference thus causing him to lose the offense and get cut off on his comebacks. Anything but limbwork. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Makes sense to me.  I thought it was a good way to make Kyle look credible because he did recently challenge for the title and I honestly was focusing on that more than what you mentioned.    I also didn't think Will would need to go to that Wolverine/Kenshin mode for a match that had no doubt who would win.  So with that I thought it was an interesting approach and in a vacuum feel it worked quite well for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 9:50 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Thankfully whoever that dude was finally got yelled down by somebody. Then again FTR Gun is maybe one of the worst promos on the roster and he was just stumbling and bumbling like always out there. Hit all his marks, but there's no flow. 

I just got to Collision last night so I'm very late to this: when he said something like "Let me tell you something, the Elite..." I legit couldn't tell if it was a flub or a Bret tribute

Also, @Stefanie Sparklefacei absolutely love that Tito post - very well said. Kyle had a hell of a weekend. I completely understand where @Just Daveand @usernameare coming from because I found myself there for the first couple weeks of his return, but he hit another gear on Friday (even for a squash) and I can't say enough about the match Saturday - YMMV on whether that airtime could be "used" for a bigger star who might have a better chance at growing the audience I guess - but in the same way some guys have to be Tito, some shows have to be Thunder right?

Edit: I guess thinking more deeply, this goes back to a similar conversation here a while ago w Nikita and I think some others about the 'lack of stories' criticism - sometimes you get a hot, hate-filled Ravens/Steelers divisional game in prime time... and sometimes Houston's playing Indy just 'cause it's Thursday.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, last week. Yeah, The Gauntlet was indeed awesome, but I am not sure if I like Ospreay challenging for the World title THIS fast?

He had a great match with O'Reilly on Collision I was thinking, hey maybe this is where they take the International title from him, but that would kinda spoil the ending of the Forbidden Door main event! So, no. I really enjoyed Claudio vs Johnny TV and was looking forward to it as soon as it was announced.

Good to see Takeshita qualifying for the TNT-title Ladder Match.

Bunch of other exciting stuff happened. I liked the Jungle Turd promo in the showers.

Oh, and Swerve got his revenge on Killswitch, who later took it out on Cocaine Bear County! Why exactly does Killswitch have a problem with titty city?

Edited by Shartnado
Killswitch says no to titty city...
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 9:46 AM, Curt McGirt said:

There were no flubs or anything so I dunno what this green talk is.

Apparently the match was heavily edited.  What we saw was what they salvaged.

On 6/2/2024 at 9:50 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Thankfully whoever that dude was finally got yelled down by somebody. Then again FTR Gun is maybe one of the worst promos on the roster and he was just stumbling and bumbling like always out there. Hit all his marks, but there's no flow. 

FTR is sorely overdue for a heel turn.  They only have one babyface promo and "aw shucks we jus' luvvv rasslin' it's how ah feeds mah famleeee" is getting so old it's collecting social security. 

17 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Just nitpicking a bit, but would it be more accurate to specify "late era Tito Santana"?

It was before my time, but my understanding is that when Tito was IC champ, the IC champ was generally the second biggest star in the company (or at least close to it); he was expected to draw crowds for the B-shows he headlined. Which would suggest mid-eighties Tito was a lot more over than the role players you're describing.

Eh, that's debatable.  I mean I guess when Warrior was champ, he was the #2 guy.  Was Savage the #2 guy after he beat Sanatana and before he lost it to Steamboat?  Not sure.  I guarantee Greg Valentine and Don Muraco never were.  Titles meant more then, though, so the the promise of a title match was probably enough to draw a B town back then.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

FTR is sorely overdue for a heel turn.  They only have one babyface promo and "aw shucks we jus' luvvv rasslin' it's how ah feeds mah famleeee" is getting so old it's collecting social security. 

Hard agree. Ever since Dax cut the (admittedly heartfelt) promo about his sick kid, I've always had this thought that when the heel turn comes, they should parlay the 'feeds mah famleee' thing into becoming almost APA-esque mercenaries for hire - it gives a nice out for an eventual baby re-turn if needed due to injuries or simply running it's course (it was jus' business!) Shit, if it wasn't for the learning tree stuff, you could have them take Bryan Keith under their wing as a literal bounty hunter, and send em on a trios run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:
  • Thunder Rosa hitting a dominator and then going "I can work with anyone." post match.

Plus stretching someone for kicking out of it haha

I swear I've seen Johnny Sunglasses bust out the cravate before this. Isn't that even a regular move of his?

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Toni's star is bursting.

"Of course it is dahling, you'd better stand back or you might get wet." 😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hard agree. Ever since Dax cut the (admittedly heartfelt) promo about his sick kid, I've always had this thought that when the heel turn comes, they should parlay the 'feeds mah famleee' thing into becoming almost APA-esque mercenaries for hire - it gives a nice out for an eventual baby re-turn if needed due to injuries or simply running it's course (it was jus' business!) Shit, if it wasn't for the learning tree stuff, you could have them take Bryan Keith under their wing as a literal bounty hunter, and send em on a trios run.

What if FTR joined the Learning Tree?  "We've always been great rasslers but we want to be rich and the only way to do that is to learn from a great sports entertainer!  We love Bobby Eaton but he died penniless."  HEAT

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Technico Support said:

What if FTR joined the Learning Tree?  "We've always been great rasslers but we want to be rich and the only way to do that is to learn from a great sports entertainer!  We love Bobby Eaton but he died penniless."  HEAT

Yooooo nice one. This has to happen

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Plus stretching someone for kicking out of it haha

I swear I've seen Johnny Sunglasses bust out the cravate before this. Isn't that even a regular move of his?

His finisher was a flipping cravate for a time, the Moonlight Drive.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Learning Tree, who knew Bryan Keith was such a great promo and character?  Him aggressively muttering "DISRESPECT!" under his breath as Jericho recounted his enemies' transgressions was amazing.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of the Learning Tree, who knew Bryan Keith was such a great promo and character?  Him aggressively muttering "DISRESPECT!" under his breath as Jericho recounted his enemies' transgressions was amazing.

I'm interested to see what a few Keith/Bill tags might look like.

• Like 5

On 6/1/2024 at 6:34 PM, JLowe said:

Hechicero vs. Brian Cage for control of a midcard stable is not what we wanted when Hechicero shows up, Coach Tony!

I'll take it, though!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"They look like those Russian dolls that can fit inside of each other". Nigel McGuinness on Danny Rose, Ricky Gee and KM, AEW Collison.

Nigel McGuinness is the best.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, The Natural said:

"They look like those Russian dolls that can fit inside of each other". Nigel McGuinness on Danny Rose, Ricky Gee and KM, AEW Collison.

Nigel McGuinness is the best.

My first thought was the famous Frost Report sketch on class. Kudos to those who get that reference here.

Edited by The Natural

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You savage.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I'm interested to see what a few Keith/Bill tags might look like.

Great call on that. Don't get me wrong: on the one hand, I hate relegating a monster like Bill to tag teams when he's obviously capable of a lot more (I actually thought he was a dark horse to get the nod over Finn Balor as first Universal Champion in that four way match way back when) - but on the other hand: I think you have a really nice built in story with him and Starks having just dropped the tags to Darby/Sting when their reign was still only getting going, and it sounds like a great way on paper to elevate your new signing in Keith. I say try it out