DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/15 - 5/21/2024 - Fear of a Malakai Black Planet

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Deonna Purazzo vs Robyn Renegade reminded us that there are three pushed women's matches going into Double or Nothing.

Has there ever been an AEW pay-per-view with three or more women's matches? Though I imagine at least one of these will be relegated to the pre-show.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Really they should put Deonna and Deeb against each other (or team up or something), so they can talk about what great wrestlers they are for a bit (without actually having any great matches to prove the point). Just feels a bit off, they're both doing an "I'm really good at wrestling" gimmick, when Emi Sakura works for the same company and actually has a character in addition to being a great(er) worker.

Not to single you out, Ax, but this kind of talk drives me crazy. Presumably when Deonna Purazzo and Serena Deeb talk on the shows about being great wrestlers, they mean that the characters are great at wrestling and at winning matches through their wrestling skill. Whether the performers who portray Deonna Purazzo and Serena Deeb are great at putting on exciting fake matches is semi-related at best. If you said "without having ever secured the AEW world title", that to me would be a more reasonable argument than their lack of "great matches".

And wrestling fans seem to conflate these two things all the time. Or even act like it's a given that if a performer is great at putting on exciting matches, their character should be portrayed as being a great wrestler. Like I said, it drives me crazy.

Kayfabe is dead, and it's been dead for so long most Wrestling fans don't even remember it was ever alive.

It just feels like, particularly in modern American wrestling, if you have a great body, you're a muscle wrestler. If you can do incredible feats of strength, you're a strength wrestler. If you can do feats of athleticism, you're a flyer. If you're a willing bleeder who'll take chairshots, you're a brawler. If you can throw a good-looking (or sounding) strike, you're a striker. And if you're none of those things, and you aren't willing to paint your face and be a character, we'll tell them you're a great technician, regardless of if you're actually good at technical wrestling or not. 

• Like 1

Toni totally upstaging Deeb, who at least put a little personality into her supreme lock this time.

Hook match sucked, he needs to work on more actual pro wrestling stuff like strikes and kicks. I was watching Tazmaniac late 1993 ECW matches and he could do basic wrestling stuff as well as his variety of throws.

Otherwise, decent night of wrestling with the Shibata match standing out.

• Like 1

The thing with Deeb is that she just doesn't strike me as all that technical.  She's playing technical, but I don't think her ring skill is top tier in AEW.

I mean, you've got Emi, Shida, Toni, Hayter all off the top of my heads, plus the visiting joshis.  Deeb just looks slow compared to them.  I mean, she's perfectly fine and acceptable in ring, but Deeb's Dojo should have been more of a Cobra Kai thing about ruthlessness than Deeb Malenko, when she doesn't feel like she's close to Malenko-level.

• Like 2

I was almost asleep watching the shows so my biggest takeaways are that I want Anna Jay to have a magician gimmick and that Jack Cartwheel is a bit for that Space Flying Tiger Drop to the floor. One of my favorite moves ever and his was beautiful. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Where would you like me to begin?  I can start by traveling all the way back to I believe it was 2018 when Mercedes was video taped rushing out of her hotel to get a Door Dash order and rushing back into her hotel without stopping to speak to the fans who were crowded outside. Around this same time she was photographed with a fan at an airport where she looked agitated because it was 3am and apparently these fans wait for wrestlers to get off the plane so they can have them sign a bunch of things (presumably to sell at a later date)

Bully Ray and Disco among others in the wrestling community including some lesser dirt sheet writers started an online smear campaign saying she has a "bad attitude" ...  coded language towards black women painting the picture of "the angry black woman)... (none of the wrestlers have ever said a bad word about her) and that she should feel "lucky" that fans are sitting outside her hotel and she needs to do better. 

Interestingly enough,  when other wrestlers were stalked at airports or just stalked in general... these same people who threw dirt on Mercedes said that the fans are "losers" and need to get a life.  So why are some wrestlers afforded that leeway but Mercedes was painted with the "angry black woman" brush? 

This is just the beginning of the online discourse that I've seen....  I can continue if you wish. 

Thanks.  Just sounds like a bunch of noise to me.  She's respected and well liked by her peers, that's what counts.  From interviews and stuff over the years, WWE profiles earlier in her career she always seemed pretty cool. 

I think the people who basically stalk wrestlers by knowing what flights they're on and where they're staying are creepy AF.  I'm sure she's had several bad interactions with fans over the years.  We know how bad it can get for female wrestlers and I think there's been multiple stalking incidents with WWE women in recent years.  If I were her I'd be traveling with a bodyguard or two.

I completely ignore Bully Ray, Disco, Bischoff, Russo etc. etc. etc.  Whenever I see their takes floating around somewhere they're reactionary, contrarian, WWE nut hugging, Anti-AEW or some mix of all of the above.  Thinly veiled racism isn't surprising from people like that.  Clearly going for the hot take model of generating attention by spouting off hot garbage.  Same reason I don't care what Stephen A or any of those types of dudes have to say

3 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Thanks.  Just sounds like a bunch of noise to me.  She's respected and well liked by her peers, that's what counts.  From interviews and stuff over the years, WWE profiles earlier in her career she always seemed pretty cool. 

I think the people who basically stalk wrestlers by knowing what flights they're on and where they're staying are creepy AF.  I'm sure she's had several bad interactions with fans over the years.  We know how bad it can get for female wrestlers and I think there's been multiple stalking incidents with WWE women in recent years.  If I were her I'd be traveling with a bodyguard or two.

I completely ignore Bully Ray, Disco, Bischoff, Russo etc. etc. etc.  Whenever I see their takes floating around somewhere they're reactionary, contrarian, WWE nut hugging, Anti-AEW or some mix of all of the above.  Thinly veiled racism isn't surprising from people like that.  Clearly going for the hot take model of generating attention by spouting off hot garbage.  Same reason I don't care what Stephen A or any of those types of dudes have to say

There's been several instances over the years where I've seen some very suspect comments about her but instead of going through every instance,  the one that was maybe the most disgusting was when Sasha/Naomi walked out of WWE in 2021.  Sasha has never said a word about it. She's told a few people who have asked about it "don't believe everything you read" but it's clear she doesn't want to discuss it. 

But some people close to Naomi did discuss it at the time and it was revealed at least in part that they walked out due to a conflict with a producer who used some really coded language towards them and so the amount of vitriol I saw launched at them after experiencing some veiled racism at their own workplace... it's pretty sad.  

Also, they never refused to do jobs.  Their point was hey... we just won the tag titles and we are trying to get these titles over... we already took a backseat to some other talents,  why are you going to continue to beat us into the ground and you guys also told us there is a story for us and you aren't keeping that promise.  They apparently wanted both of them to lose singles matches at the next PPV to both of the champions.  I can see Sasha's point because there was a long history of broken promises from Vince, Johnny, Prichard, etc.. and she had proven herself time and time again that she deserved to be treated better than they were.  Charlotte even wrote in her own book that they were always using Sasha to get her over and it wasn't right.   Becky wrote in her own book that Sasha took her under her wing in NXT and helped her the most out of anyone when she was feeling lost. 

A lot of hate and veiled racism thrown at her over the years.  

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's been several instances over the years where I've seen some very suspect comments about her but instead of going through every instance,  the one that was maybe the most disgusting was when Sasha/Naomi walked out of WWE in 2021.  Sasha has never said a word about it. She's told a few people who have asked about it "don't believe everything you read" but it's clear she doesn't want to discuss it. 

But some people close to Naomi did discuss it at the time and it was revealed at least in part that they walked out due to a conflict with a producer who used some really coded language towards them and so the amount of vitriol I saw launched at them after experiencing some veiled racism at their own workplace... it's pretty sad.  

Also, they never refused to do jobs.  Their point was hey... we just won the tag titles and we are trying to get these titles over... we already took a backseat to some other talents,  why are you going to continue to beat us into the ground and you guys also told us there is a story for us and you aren't keeping that promise. They apparently wanted both of them to lose singles matches at the next PPV to both of the champions.  I can see Sasha's point because there was a long history of broken promises from Vince, Johnny, Prichard, etc.. and she had proven herself time and time again that she deserved to be treated better than they were.  Charlotte even wrote in her own book that they were always using Sasha to get her over and it wasn't right.   Becky wrote in her own book that Sasha took her under her wing in NXT and helped her the most out of anyone when she was feeling lost. 

A lot of hate and veiled racism thrown at her over the years.  

Not for nothing, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but walking out because the front office wanted them to lose singles matches is the definition of "they refused to do jobs." I'm not saying their opinion was wrong. I am saying that you're blinded by your fandom.

Mercedes isn't having the impact on AEW's business that I'm sure she thought she would. FTR, I still think they were right to sign her. She has her army of Stans and there is about a half thimble-full of mainstream fame that AEW can maximize. But I continue to mock the notion that she's some transcendent, crossover star that is gonna carry a promotion on her back. She had the WWE hype machine screaming from the mountaintops that it was "BOSS TIME" and without that, she's turned into "just another performer" real quick. I say all that to say that AEW should offer Becky Lynch more than Mercedes is making if they have the chance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Not for nothing, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but walking out because the front office wanted them to lose singles matches is the definition of "they refused to do jobs." I'm not saying their opinion was wrong. I am saying that you're blinded by your fandom

You're blinded by your hate.  I just described what one of the main driving forces was behind them walking out,  veiled racism from a producer,  and the best you can come up with is "you're blind..."  

You aren't exactly dispelling the idea that the IWC has a terrible track record when it comes to race. 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You're blinded by your hate.  I just described what one of the main driving forces was behind them walking out,  veiled racism from a producer,  and the best you can come up with is "you're blind..."  

You aren't exactly dispelling the idea that the IWC has a terrible track record when it comes to race. 

You literally said “they didn’t refuse to do jobs” and then implied that they were right to refuse to do jobs. Where was race even mentioned?

Posted (edited)

I'm absolutely positive that producers working for Vince McMahon (a guy who had Apollo Crews running around carrying a spear in 2021) felt completely empowered to use racist language, both coded and overt, and that's some bullshit.  It's completely unacceptable.  

Now, their reason for refusing to do the job is hilarious because it's WWE.  I stopped watching in 2016 due to, let's say their rather overt political ties to a very awful person.  But by that point, they'd buried their men's tag belts so far down you'd need Steve and Alex to go look for them.  Jobbing your tag champs to elevate singles stars was standard operating procedure.

So Sasha and Naomi were kind of ridiculous to refuse to job in those circumstances.  HOWEVER, pushing back against that refusal by being a racist, sexist piece of shit is a zillion times worse.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Has there ever been an AEW pay-per-view with three or more women's matches? Though I imagine at least one of these will be relegated to the pre-show.

Yes, Full Gear 2022 Jade vs. Nyla, Saraya vs. Britt & Storm vs. Hayter 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Kayfabe is dead, and it's been dead for so long most Wrestling fans don't even remember it was ever alive.

It is, or at least it bloody well should be. But as I've said before, its ghost still haunts wrestling in various ways, and I think this is one of them.

Posted (edited)

I really wish the 2nd last quarter of every AEW TV show featured a ‘What’s Coming Up On(Wednesday or Saturday/Friday)’ segment hosted by Renee, Lexi or Arkady. A rundown of the matches, or wrestlers appearing, with a sprinkling of essential highlights. Going in, this week’s Collision felt like a completely unnecessary and skippable show. I assume for most it was.

Ospreay v Taylor was a good TV showcase. That finish really oughtta be replayed on Wednesday and in future packages. My expectations were a bit lofty going in here. Taylor provided a solid vehicle for star ‘spray. The post match was an excellent way to feature your top guy. Well done. Mox/Claudio promo was tremendous! Claudio’s best? Takeshita v Mox! Jericho/Bill promo was kinda shitty. Jericho seems to be still finding his feet with this endeavour. Hook v Johnny TV was another solid showcase. TV is a very stale act, but he did a terrific job here. Get him a tag team partner. Shibata v Romero was a pretty strong TV match. Bryan Keith v Boulder was kinda the opposite. Not a fan of Boulder’s comedy act. This is barely funny to those who like it and a total waste of his potential. Dying for the Bears to go overseas for a year. I do like seeing Keith get TV wins, but that Flipping Stunner finish is not sufficient. Qualifying matches for the FTW TITLE is as they say 'a choice'. The Pac promo was really good. He ended up looking a bit weak with getting his comeuppance so soon after. Jay White/Asses attack made Jay look strong, and I back that play. Christian/Nick Wayne promo was good. Nick looked confident. I couldn't get into Cassidy v Kassidy. Rare for an Orange match. Quen must be injured again. Kassidy continues to quietly improve, but badly needs an excursion and presentation refresh. His attire looks like a cheap Halloween costume. Deeb v Jay was solid. The post match was terribly entertaining, as is most anything involving Mariah May and Toni Storm. That said, Deeb playing babyface feels like a a bad joke. Nick Wayne v Jack Cartwheel was a fine TV enhancement match, but a total waste of potential. Wayne v Cartwheel having a sprint could’ve changed the complexion of this show. Nick needs to have some good matches. Cartwheel made the most of minutes, and deserved better for what he provided. FTR/Danielson v Righteous/Archer was a fun TV match as expected. Neat seeing Garcia go all superman in the post match. The Elite/Team AEW Recap Video to kick off Rampage was solid. I like seeing AEW commit to following up on their PPV feuds with video packages on all the TV shows. This is a positive direction. Kyle v Lee was excellent. O’Reilly is on a nice little run. I skimmed the Acclaimed promo. They’re a cold act, but they're doing the best they can. Rush squash was on point and how you make the most of your 'In Action' minutes. Goddamn do I ever miss Jose. Danielson promo was his special blend of corny-awesome. I missed much of Deonna v Robyn, but really liked the post match angle with Rosa. Is the Scorpio Sky promo suggesting a disingenuous heel or lame babyface? Sonjay promo was a lot of fun – as is booking Danielson v Satnam! I skimmed Brian Cage v Bowens. I enjoyed the finish and Cage win. This layout of diminishing starpower over the course of 3 hours is a great example of AEW's regular live tapings. I'd argue it's one of the greatest reasons why they're having so much trouble selling tickets. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 7:25 PM, AxB said:

Broken leg, apparently.

On 5/18/2024 at 1:44 AM, The Natural said:

How long would that put you out? 5+ months would be my guess. Considering what I've got and the falls I've had, I've been really lucky I haven't broken anything serious. Just a finger, thumb and two toes.

On 5/18/2024 at 5:39 AM, Go2Sleep said:

I'd say 6+ months, if it's a complete fracture. That's the bigger, more load-bearing bone in the lower leg. Kingston being a bigger a guy, in his 40s, and trying to get back to pro wrestling instead of just everyday mobility are all things working against him here.

Eddie Kingston suffered torn ACL and meniscus in addition to broken tibula. Eddie's going to be out a long time. Get well soon.

• Like 1