DVDVR Message Board

2024 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

24 minutes ago, colonial said:

Deadline is reporting that documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock has died at 53.

I just got the People News alert about it

Complications from Cancer

Kind of odd how the last few days on Twitter have been filled with people remembering how full of shit the SSM  documentary was, and the baffling nature of the SSM2 documentary.   (And then, yes, the sexual misconduct stuff)

• Thanks 1

IIRC, Spurlock never released a food log listing what he specifically ate and drank during his month-long "McDonald's diet" and critics alleged what he was claiming about how the diet was affecting his health didn't add up. (When he said during his sexual misconduct confession that he was an alcoholic, that had more than a few people think he was washing down his Extra Value meals with vodka and scotch instead of Coke.)

Some early food bloggers were publicized doing their own McDonald's diets after the film was released and showed that they actually lost weight, albeit they were regularly working out and staying active.

1 hour ago, colonial said:

IIRC, Spurlock never released a food log listing what he specifically ate and drank during his month-long "McDonald's diet" and critics alleged what he was claiming about how the diet was affecting his health didn't add up. (When he said during his sexual misconduct confession that he was an alcoholic, that had more than a few people think he was washing down his Extra Value meals with vodka and scotch instead of Coke.)

Some early food bloggers were publicized doing their own McDonald's diets after the film was released and showed that they actually lost weight, albeit they were regularly working out and staying active.

The way various bloggers or whoever kind of defended McD’s always had me thinking they were getting some sort of payoff. The Super Sized fries and Coke’s are going to mess your system up over time, there’s no way that much frying oil, salt, and sugar aren’t going to f you up over 30 days. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Deadline is reporting that Teila Tuli, the sumo wrestler who competed in UFC 1 and then became a popular character actor, died Thursday at 56.

Credited as Taylor Wily, he appeared on the Hawaii 5-0 revival for 10 years and popped up on both the MacGyver and Magnum reboots.

• Sad 1

I went right out and cruised through Citizen X on Youtube after I found out, and watched all of Donald's parts. Golden Globe and an Emmy for that one. But what a murderer's row: Don't Look Now, Body Snatchers '78, Klute, he was even in The Kentucky Fried Movie. It feels almost rare that an actor gets such a long run and isn't out of the running much if at all, and doesn't have something bad happen... especially from that era. The ones that make it to 90 or close are big, big winners, in life. 

Rest in peace.

I am sure this will get mentioned over in the wrestling folder but Jamie Kellner died at the age of 77

For wrestling fans - Kellner will be known as the (or one of the reasons) WCW died

He also helped launch FOX and the WB

Character actor Bill Cobbs has passed away.

He was in a million things (Brother From Another Planet, Night at the Museum, Sopranos, Demolition Man) but I mostly remember him from being in my favorite Six Feet Under episode as a grieving widower.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Boy did I misread THAT name.  

And that sucks, because unlike the other one, this Bill was great in everything he was in.