DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 33: Hunt vs. Bigfoot (12/6/2013) - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Entertainment Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

We are about to enter 2014 with Mark Hunt being a legitimate UFC heavyweight.  Between 2006 and 2010 he lost 6 straight fights, this resurgence makes no sense, but I'm enjoying every second of it.  I have no idea what was holding Bigfoot up, especially after Hunt started hitting him with those Misawa elbows.  Silva isn't known to have the best chin, but he took some absolutely brutal shots from one of the hardest hitting guys in the sport and somehow kept coming forward. 

While he was walking to the cage I made a joke about being surprised that the athletic commission would let Shogun fight with that giant fork in his back.  I'll shut up now.

Anthony Perosh asked to fight Ryan Bader.  Anthony Perosh won't be asking for seconds.  Every round of that fight could have been scored 10-8 and I wouldn't have questioned it.  Bader is about as good as a fighter can be and not be a contender.  What the fuck was he thinking when he asked for that fight?  You think by the time you turn 41 you would have some sense of self-awareness.

Awesome fight, and I don't really have a problem with the fight being scored a draw.  Honestly, the fight could've been stopped in round 4 really.  

I imagine both guys will rematch at some point in 2014.  

Shogun done killed Mrs. Te Huna's baby boy.  Good for Shogun, looks like he came in shape for once.  But he beat an unranked light heavyweight he should've beaten.  I don't see him really beating anyone in the top 10 though.  If Shogun does stay at light heavyweight, I think they might want to consider a rematch with Henderson, which realistically would probably be Henderson's swan song for MMA.

I mean it's not like many guys in the top 10 are lighting the world on fire. 

1 Alexander Gustafsson 

2 Glover Teixeira 

3 Rashad Evans 

4 Phil Davis 

5 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira 

6 Dan Henderson 

7 Chael Sonnen 

8 Gegard Mousasi 

9 Mauricio Rua 

10 Lyoto Machida 

I mean looking at it. Shoguna has basically fought everybody on the list save Glover, Davis, Rashad, & Gegard. I don't like his chances any of those guys. Maybe, Mousasi & Evans. 

SO glad i watched the event this morning without reading spoilers.

the main was absolute insanity and i loved every damned second of it.

the Shogun KO was just brutal. especially the punch afterwards.

Bader dominated and showed why he's "the guy" to beat en route to a title shot.

who saw Soa Palelei winning that fight? biggest shocker to me.

Barry's chin might be destroyed. Super Hulk was dribbling his head off the canvas like a basketball in that fight. I think he needs to hang em up. Everytime Pat gets knocked out it's in scary fashion. 

GPt9avM.gif

Barry's chin might be destroyed. Super Hulk was dribbling his head off the canvas like a basketball in that fight. I think he needs to hang em up. Everytime Pat gets knocked out it's in scary fashion. 

It might be that, but Barry gives his opponents nothing to fear really. This definitely applies to anyone who knows not be a stationary target for leg kicks. They know his grappling is horrendous, and it takes him a whole round to break down his opponent because he isn't a one shot KO striker. That one shot KO power allows Mark Hunt to still be semi-relevant in 2013. When you're a 5'10" heavyweight without it, you are definitely up Shit Creek. No doubt about it.  I think everyone who made picks was thinking that Soa was more a guy that Barry would have faced earlier in his UFC run. However, that clearly isn't the case and I don't know if UFC heavyweights are even that awful anymore as Dan Evensen and Tim Hague (who beat Barry BTW) are.

Joe Silva should say to Barry that we will only keep you around if you cut down to 205.  Barry has been resistant to it for years, but it needs to happen.

I saw a person bring this up on Twitter last night. He is fighting OTHER underskilled heavyweights. What the hell is going to do with even slighty competent light heavyweights? I don't even think he beats someone like Daniel Omielanczuk at heavyweight. The best Barry could hope for is a back-and-forth, war-of-attrition fight where he could at least wear him down with low kicks . If that's the case, what the fuck is going to do against Gian Villante other than get taken down and smashed? Even if he somehow won a LHW fight of that caliber, he would have to fight someone better than that also coming off a win because the UFC light heavyweight roster isn't big. It's better to cut him and spare him the brain damage.

• Like 1

GPt9avM.gif

Barry may be punch drunk, but he still sees the humor in things:

Y'all crazy!!! I didn't fall.

I saw a gold tooth on the mat and went for it, but the janitor got there first, picked it up, bit it, then wiped up the blood!!! 

The fifth round of Hunt-Bigfoot was exactly like I've always imagined two giant grizzly bears fighting to the death would look like. 

First fight I've seen where everyone, including me, is perfectly fine with the draw. I had Bigfoot winning when I watched for the first time Friday night, then had Hunt winning after the replay tonight, but I'm now starting to think it was really a 47-47 draw. The hardest rounds to score are the ones that weren't completely crazy, rounds 1 and 2.

I'm inclined to give 1 and 2 to Silva 10-9, round 3 to Hunt 10-8, round 4 to Silva 10-9 and round 5 to Hunt 10-9, so it's 47-47. 

I rewatched most of Bigfoot vs. Hunt last night while waiting for WSOF to get to their main event.  It is just insane how dramatic the momentum shifts are in this fight.  I honestly hope they never do a rematch as it will just diminish from the greatness of this fight.  Who am I kidding?  Dana probably already has the second one planned, followed by a season of Australia TUF, followed by a third match.

Jesus christ, that was hard to watch. Don't get me wrong, what a fight, but I couldn't help but think the amount of brain damage these guys have. Same feeling I got with Rua/Henderson. Round 4 with Big Foot raining down on Hunt and Round 5 with Hunt with the powershots to the face and body were something else.