DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 33: Hunt vs. Bigfoot (12/6/2013) - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Entertainment Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_33_Hunt_vs._Bigfoot_Post

UFC Fight Night 33: Hunt vs. Bigfoot

December 6, 2013

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Entertainment Centre)

Mark Hunt (262) vs. Antônio Silva (264) - DRAW (majority)

Maurício Rua (205) vs. James Te Huna (205) - Rua, KO (punch), R1 (1:03)

Ryan Bader (205) vs. Anthony Perosh (205) - Bader, DEC (unanimous)

Pat Barry (237) vs. Soa Palelei (264) - Palelei, KO (punches), R1 (2:09)

Dylan Andrews (185) vs. Clint Hester (186) - Hester, TKO (referee stoppage - shoulder injury), R2 (5:00)

Julie Kedzie (135) vs. Bethe Correia (135) - Correia, DEC (split)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:

Takeya Mizugaki (135) vs. Nam Phan (135) - Mizugaki, DEC (unanimous)

Nick Ring (185) vs. Caio Magalhães (186) - Magalhães, DEC (unanimous)

Richie Vaculik (126) vs. Justin Scoggins (125) - Scoggins, TKO (punches), R1 (4:43)

Bruno Santos (185) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (185) - Jotko, DEC (unanimous)

Facebook Preliminary Card:

Ben Wall (168) vs. Alex Garcia (170) - Garcia, KO (punches), R1 (0:43)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Knockout of the Night: Maurício Rua

Submission of the Night: Not awarded

Fight of the Night: Mark Hunt vs. Antônio Silva (Silva forfeits $50k to Hunt due to failed drug test)

Attendance: 11,393 

Gate: $1.785 million

Rating: 755,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Alex Garcia vs. Andreas Stahl - Injury to Stahl

Julie Kedzie vs. Alexandra Albu - Injury to Albu

Robert Whitaker vs. Brian Melancon - Injury to Melancon (Kidney Problems)

Alex Caceres vs. Mitch Gagnon - Gagnon VISA Issues

Bader is right where he should be. He will lose to upper tier guys in ways that will allow them to get title shots and destroy lower tier gatekeepers. That's what you want out of someone like him.

• Like 1

Shogun being in a semi-main on a B (at best) TV card makes me sad. Hopefully this leads to bigger things for him, because if he loses this...yeah just retire man. Or take whatever dump truck full of money Viacom offers up and go to Bellator.

There aren't any bigger things for him on the horizon.  He's been done for a while now.  I don't even think the talent level matters as much any more.  Even in fights against a scrub that he might win he will take damage because his speed is completely gone and he has no defense. 

Mark Hunt really is the highlight of the heavyweight division. I can't think of anyone whose matches I anticipate more. Certainly there are better fighters, and I'd like to see how much success Werdum and Barnett can have, but in a division that promises a couple of years of JDS/Velasquez domination, Hunt is really the guy who makes things interesting.

Bader is right where he should be. He will lose to upper tier guys in ways that will allow them to get title shots and destroy lower tier gatekeepers. That's what you want out of someone like him.

Strictly speaking, doesn't that make him the gatekeeper? He keeps out the people who don't belong, but doesn't quite eat at the top table himself. 

Strictly speaking, doesn't that make him the gatekeeper? He keeps out the people who don't belong, but doesn't quite eat at the top table himself. 

I guess you could say that, but the turnover for gatekeepers in MMA is much higher now than six years ago. A guy can go from being a title contender to out of the UFC in a matter of two fights (see: Grispi, Josh). Gatekeepers in boxing would be able to stay on television for at least five or six years based on one or two performances. Ike Quartey fought Oscar and Fernando Vargas, took a long hiatus, and then came back to fight on HBO again. Also-ran would probably be a better term for Ryan Bader.