DVDVR Message Board

2024 in Pro Wrestling Podcasts

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's more than enough. If they can do John Tenta just because they wanted to show the Shockmaster, they can do that.

Eh...I mean it's fair to say the dark side element for the Tenta is the fact a guy who was still relatively young kinda washed out and wrestling really didn't have a place for him. Same for Ottman, who was pegged to be a star and then by the time he was Shockmaster/Uncle Fred in WCW, there was no real place for him.

I think the one that probably doesn't fit is probably Chris Colt just because it has a lot less to do with wrestling and more about American culture in general and how we looked at homosexuality in the 60s and 70s. Otherwise, you probably didn't give a damn about that episode.

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Eh...I mean it's fair to say the dark side element for the Tenta is the fact a guy who was still relatively young kinda washed out and wrestling really didn't have a place for him. Same for Ottman, who was pegged to be a star and then by the time he was Shockmaster/Uncle Fred in WCW, there was no real place for him.

I think the one that probably doesn't fit is probably Chris Colt just because it has a lot less to do with wrestling and more about American culture in general and how we looked at homosexuality in the 60s and 70s. Otherwise, you probably didn't give a damn about that episode.

Cornette was a big fan of Chris Colt, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the Chris Colt episode as a favor to Cornette for all the contributions and promotion he's done for the series, similar to why they did a Bruiser Bedlam episode.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Cornette was a big fan of Chris Colt, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the Chris Colt episode as a favor to Cornette for all the contributions and promotion he's done for the series, similar to why they did a Bruiser Bedlam episode.

You're telling me the person who said "Chris Colt is the best wrestler people never heard of" might have had something to do with this? You don't say?

Jim can be pretty lax hurling around these superlatives.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You're telling me the person who said "Chris Colt is the best wrestler people never heard of" might have had something to do with this? You don't say?

Jim can be pretty lax hurling around these superlatives.

Shocking but true! I wonder when we'll get a Dirty White Boy episode.

• Haha 1

Wouldn’t all the crazy drug stuff with Colt and some of his gimmicks have warranted a Chris Colt episode even without his being gay? The spider story alone is right up their alley, with their love of reenactments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Wouldn’t all the crazy drug stuff with Colt and some of his gimmicks have warranted a Chris Colt episode even without his being gay? The spider story alone is right up their alley, with their love of reenactments. 

I feel like if these a like a mini version of DSotR that was like 10-15 minutes long, Chris Colt would certainly qualify. There would be a whole bunch of people that probably don't have enough material for an hour who would qualify. As is, I don't know if the Chris Colt story is intriguing to justify an entire episode. I'm saying that as someone who defended the episode and mostly because I only knew bits and pieces about Chris Colt. So for me, learning about him was my justification for caring.

On 5/20/2024 at 9:56 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

If anything it feels like WCW was caught between two worlds of trying to play catch up but with all these old characters like Flair, Piper, Nash, Hogan, Sting, etc. They were also hoping to recapture the magic of 96-97 of being new and exciting. Meanwhile outside of Vince, everyone on WWF TV at the top is 35 years old and younger. They were trying do all WWF storylines and angles at the time, but characters that didn't fit.

yeah, i think you're on to something here. maybe a good idea would be to take a bunch of the younger, unpushed talent, and really give them a spotlight. really focus on the New Blood. instead of all these aging rich guys. i think we're all getting a little sick of this Millionaire's Club

This is tremendous. Bret over here breaking kayfabe in the world of leg ‘rasslin. Seriously though, it’s great to see Bret in such a happy place. Be on the lookout for Bret doing a Joey Diaz wheez laugh!

Eric Bischoff is mostly telling the truth about most things concerning his instructions from Turner and Turner execs and many others things. I say mostly because he’s leaving out the parts about how he ignored what he was being told by them whenever he knew Hogan wouldn’t like it. Then if there was ever any question he would run it by Hogan first. Hogan wasn’t Eric’s boss, but he was his master. He can spin it however else he wants but that’s how it went. The reason it’s still talked about so much is because the truth has never flat out been said even though we all know it. And that’s why it all went to hell. Nobody ever turned off a WCW show because they didn’t cuss enough and they weren’t ever going to because if they were they would have done it a long time ago when bloody vein popping Ric Flair yell out GOSH DANG IT TO HECK AND BACK!!!!!!!!!! Or that time Sting got mad and called the chick in the box a BROAD!!!!!!!!!!!

What a surprise to see Luger and Brody come up here. Saying Luger was wise and classy at that point might be a stretch, but if nothing else he was like yeah eff this. He looked at Brody like I’d look at a crazy person in the park at night and walked away from him like I would. Brody was good in the ring from what I’ve seen and a unique, special kind of those old mysterious wrestlers. Unfortunately some aggravation always came with that territory. Him, Abdullah, Billy Jack, etc.

• Like 2

Definitely a deep dive episode at around 3.5 hours. Lots more than just the tournament. Come for the wrestling, stay for the mid 1880s DC/Baltimore wrestling TV channel breakdown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Definitely a deep dive episode at around 3.5 hours. Lots more than just the tournament. Come for the wrestling, stay for the mid 1880s DC/Baltimore wrestling TV channel breakdown. 

Great listen so far!!

• Like 1

if you don't think there's enough BTS podcasts, they just dropped the newest version of doing a WCW podcast (after the first one petered out due to Dylan's schedule).. this time it's Kris, Loss, and Naylor

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:16 PM, odessasteps said:

Listened while doing my route today. It flowed really well.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:16 PM, odessasteps said:

I haven't got to dive in yet, but I'm just shocked to learn that the DC/Baltimore area had television in the late 19th century!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Log said:

I haven't got to dive in yet, but I'm just shocked to learn that the DC/Baltimore area had television in the late 19th century!

We’re pretty advanced, hon!

I was born and raised in Baltimore and my fandom started in early ‘85, so this is my jam.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

the Shane Douglas "Franchise University" podcast is done due to things like "Shane and the other guy not having schedules that aligned to record" and "I was losing money" and "my wife is pregnant"

but don't worry... the same guy is gonna launch a new podcast with Stevie Richards next week, thus keeping our quota of former wrestler podcasts up

• Haha 1

I wish someone with most of a historical grounding co hosted Dutch’s podcast instead of James. 

In a way, him hosting pods with a short shelf life is prob a better market than just running a guy like Douglas into the ground or wearing out his welcome.