DVDVR Message Board

King of the Hill is the best animated show ever

Fat Spanish Waiter

I always saw Hank as kind of a problem and an asset to the show if that makes any sense.

Yeah, it's refreshing to have a TV husband/father not portrayed as simply a beer-drinking slob propped up by a much-smarter wife. Heck, he was more smarter than Peggy and came off as a really nice guy.

But as a character he was a bit on the dull side and lacked the spark Homer Simpson (at his best) or Daria or any other great cartoon character has.

I always saw Hank as kind of a problem and an asset to the show if that makes any sense.

Yeah, it's refreshing to have a TV husband/father not portrayed as simply a beer-drinking slob propped up by a much-smarter wife. Heck, he was more smarter than Peggy and came off as a really nice guy.

But as a character he was a bit on the dull side and lacked the spark Homer Simpson (at his best) or Daria or any other great cartoon character has.

He isn't dull, that's the great thing. He's just restrained. And when he tries to cut loose it goes horribly wrong.

"It was a coincidence Dad!"

"No Bobby - it was God"

• Like 1

He isn't dull, that's the great thing. He's just restrained. And when he tries to cut loose it goes horribly wrong.

"It was a coincidence Dad!"

"No Bobby - it was God"

[PH]Don't be a try-baby Hank. Be a do-baby![/PH]

• Like 1

This new subversive Matt that talks about Neo-McCarthyism is exciting to me.

Almost as exciting as the PROPANIACS! Remember that one guys?!

The Propane Maniacs!

You must try, you must try, you must try. . .propane!

"If you're going to shoot me, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, because he'll put me down clean!"

And then Bobby says okay and reaches for the rifle.

This is the very best episode of the show, I won't hear any other suggestions.  I'm a huge fan of the show, but as good as it was, nothing touches seasons 2-9 of The Simpsons.  The Simpsons was legitamately the funniest thing ever on TV at its peak. 

"If you're going to shoot me, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, because he'll put me down clean!"

And then Bobby says okay and reaches for the rifle.

This is the very best episode of the show, I won't hear any other suggestions.  I'm a huge fan of the show, but as good as it was, nothing touches seasons 2-9 of The Simpsons.  The Simpsons was legitamately the funniest thing ever on TV at its peak. 

My favorite episode of The Simpsons was 8-22 (In Marge We Trust). That was the episode when Rev Lovejoy loses his faith because people looked to Marge for their answers. The sermon at the end with Lovejoy talks about how he took on the apes was probably the best 30 seconds or so in the history of that show for me.

But I agree about The Simpsons and its peak. It gave up this:

Spoiler'd for those who don't want to cry..

The biggest point in King Of The Hill's favor is how long its run was and how good/great it was. I love Boondocks and Venture Brothers. But with the time it takes for for them to do so few episodes, they should be pure gold. 

King Of The Hill produced more episodes a year of equal or superior quality for over a decade. 

The biggest point in King Of The Hill's favor is how long its run was and how good/great it was. I love Boondocks and Venture Brothers. But with the time it takes for for them to do so few episodes, they should be pure gold. 

King Of The Hill produced more episodes a year of equal or superior quality for over a decade. 

That was the best part of the South Park Cartoon Wars episodes. Trey and Matt acknowledging in a subtle quick scene that while people argue about Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park...King of the Hill quietly plugs along winning awards and being quality.  

• Like 2

1) When I teach the chapter on "Emotions Stress and Health" in my Psych 101s, I almost always feel like I'm saying "ha-penis" inadvertently. Then I have the urge to yell, "VAGINA!"

2) Greatest line. Ever: "Just when I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, you keep talking." (And fuck Junie Harper.)

• Like 2

1) When I teach the chapter on "Emotions Stress and Health" in my Psych 101s, I almost always feel like I'm saying "ha-penis" inadvertently. Then I have the urge to yell, "VAGINA!"

2) Greatest line. Ever: "Just when I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, you keep talking." (And fuck Junie Harper.)

One of my favorite exchanges in KOTH was when they're standing in the alley and Bill says something about ordering pizza and Dale goes, "Pizza?! You always order pizza! That's why your wife left you!" I really wish I could remember the episode and the exact context but I remember cracking up at Dale's delivery of the line.

• Like 1