DVDVR Message Board

Getting back to Orton and whether or not he is underachieving , to me it seems like he is quite far removed from his real life personality whenever he is performing. Granted, I haven't a clue what his real life personality is, he just doesn't come off as "natural" in anything he does. Seems like it would be hard to be "The Guy" playing something as off type as he seems to be.

Punk debuted on the roster in 06, won the ECW Title in 07, won his first World Title in 08 and beat the Undertaker* by submission in 09. 

He was WWE champion for over a year, how much longer is he going to be thought of as a new guy that needs to be elevated? 

*It was some bullshit, but nobody else can claim that. 

If Orton wasn't always playing second fiddle to someone else he'd be worth watching. For a psychopath with anger problems he is sure tame, especially when crying to
The Authority and The Shield. When Stephanie and HHH said they wanted the crazy Orton back a few months ago I thought we would get psyco Orton punting people left and right. Instead it's "Well we all get a mildly irritated with other guys now and then". Darn you PG Era!

Orton has always looked magnificently phony, stale and manufactured. For me, he was always a symbol of inauthenticity in wrestling. The best was when he covered his dated tribal tattoos with those corny Ed Hardy skulls, which ended up nearly as dated right away. I'm thankful Cena is/was around to overshadow him. Dude is just boring.

• Like 2

I think what is being lost in all of this talk of Orton Under/Over acheiving is that he was pushed way too soon just so Vince could get the "Youngest WWE/World Champion" tag off Brock Lesnar. I dont think Orton would've been pushed as quickly if they didn't need to do that. Once they put him in the main event they just let him stay there and so from 24 or 25 he has been in the mix at the top of the card instead of working his way up gradually.

This can make him look just as stale to people as Cena does.

If Orton came into the company now he would float around, win MITB and the title on a cash in and then wrestle Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler every week for 2 years straight to see if he really wants to be there.

The real issue though is the lack of Batista. He had some great highs but I honestly believe he was hitting his peak when he was hating on 'Corporate' Cena and how John was always pushed as the face of the company when Dave had bested him every time they were in the ring. Batista coming back as the 'face of the WWE' and the new, hand picked, unified champion would be an amazing piece of story telling. It would tie in perfectly.

Big Show doesn't get nearly enough credit for the little things he does. The headbutt he did while having Ambrose in a headlock at the start of the match was awesome. The way he repositioned Rollins for an elbow drop by basically palming his face/eyes and putting him down was a great little touch as was him holding him by the riot gear as he tried to run away. He's a great foil for Ambrose to do crazy facial expressions (and Rollins' shouting "Pull on his beard" from the outside was funny). I really liked him in his FIP segment too when he was giving Rollins exactly as much as he should have.

Orton has always looked magnificently phony, stale and manufactured. For me, he was always a symbol of inauthenticity in wrestling. The best was when he covered his dated tribal tattoos with those corny Ed Hardy skulls, which ended up nearly as dated right away. I'm thankful Cena is/was around to overshadow him. Dude is just boring.

That is the best summary of Randy Orton yet. Orton is a great wrestler, but personality wise he's dead as a door knob. He is his father's son. Ace was great as the muscle and standing there and looking imposing. Randy has the same thing. He looks great and pretty imposing...but once he talks...ehhhh. Everything being PG doesn't help him either. Orton is the kind of guy who should be leaving guys in a pool of blood while he takes a preverse pleasure watching the life slowly bleed out of them.

It's a shame there aren't any Gary Hart's around anymore. Orton needs a mouth piece.

It's funny, when Orton was doing his intense crazy thing during the contract thingy on RAW, his delivery was almost rhythm for rhythm the same as AJ Lee when she does her crazy talk thing.  It was kind of eerie how close it was.

Now, I'm not saying AJ is a shitty promo.  For a diva she's really good.  But on the scale of everyone to everyone "right there with AJ" is pretty far down the list.  And after over a decade as a top guy, Orton is right there with her.

Agreed on Punk. Love him or hate him, he's clearly about as big as a wrestler not named John Cena is gonna get in this era. He's doing great.

But he's also done as a main eventer.

Nah. Around WM 31 or 32 when they can no longer rely on 'Taker, Brock, Rock.... Cena vs. Punk is gonna main event one of those shows.