DVDVR Message Board

Comic Convention Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I went to Dragon Con one year,  I had a great time, but it was too much for me. 

Though I do love the exclusive toys that Mattel are doing this year at SDCC and I wish I could be there for the Robotech panel.  But it probably is too big it'll take too much effort to get to all that great stuff.

For me, the annoying thing about 21st SD is that there is still a great comics convention amidst the twilight fans, movie panels, b-list TV stars and the 125,000 people.

In 2013, i think most if not all panels should be podcast and big media companies should stream theirs. It's not like 1999, when you could not even get a cell phone signal in the convention center. Wouldnt fans be greatly appreciative to see the [tv show of choice] panel when theres so little chance of them going to the show?

Yes, most of this is me being a miserable misanthrope.

It also bugs me that since Petco is next to the convention center, the Padres are now always away during the convention. And its too dangerous to go to TJ to see Lucha.

I went to Dragon Con one year, I had a great time, but it was too much for me. Though I do love the exclusive toys that Mattel are doing this year at SDCC and I wish I could be there for the Robotech panel. But it probably is too big it'll take too much effort to get to all that great stuff.

Well, see, the thing about Dragoncon is that it ian't so much a convention as it is a five day bender with authors and actors doing panels.

I stick to Heroes Con (Charlotte) and Baltimore Comicon.  Since i am centrally located to both being in VA.  One of these days I might try to make it to Mid Ohio Con (Columbus) or WizardWorld Philly (even though I feel I will be underwhelmed by a Wizard convention)

No SDCC for us this year as we got shut out of the badge process. I'd already decided not to go because it fell on my SO's 40th birthday (thankfully no such issue in 2014 and she wants to go anyway) but it still sucks for my buds who couldn't go. San Diego --> Phoenix.

I went to Niagara Falls Comic Con with a friend this year. It was a good time, got comics signed by George Perez and Marc Silvestri, and bought a couple art prints. We went to a small con close to me in Altoona that wasn't bad.

• 1 month later...

Baltimore Comic Con is coming up this weekend.  My highlight last year was running into Ophidian and Saturyne on the con floor, promoting for Chikara.  I am planning on going , barring anything catastrophic?  Anyone else going -   Matt D, Odessa?

• 1 month later...

I stick to Heroes Con (Charlotte) and Baltimore Comicon.  Since i am centrally located to both being in VA.  One of these days I might try to make it to Mid Ohio Con (Columbus) or WizardWorld Philly (even though I feel I will be underwhelmed by a Wizard convention)

Sorry to bump an old post, but I went to Mid Ohio last year.  It wasn't a bad time, although I was disappointed that Stan Lee wasn't there.  Still got to meet Mike McKone, Humberto Ramos, and Tony Isabella, so mission accomplished there, but I was really looking forward to seeing Stan.  Then I found out that was the weekend he had a pacemaker put in, so it's impossible to stay upset about it.  Hoping to catch him next year in Louisville.

I wonder how mid ohio is now that roger price no longer runs it.It was a great show in the 90s

It wasn't bad.  I went for 2 days (Friday and Saturday) and wished I'd only gone Friday night.  The crowds were smaller and I was able to see most of the people I wanted to.  Only exception was that I don't believe that Alan Davis's line closed down until they turned out the lights for the night.