DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I'm really interested to see how Texas plays this out now. Do they have the patience, and the confidence, to play the long game and wait until after the title game to talk to Jimbo and/or Gus? Or are they going to feel the pressure to move quickly, knowing that the longer they wait, more and more of their other options are going to fall off the board?

If they choose to move quickly, watch out for Les Miles. There aren't many jobs he'd leave LSU for, but this is one he'd listen to, and this might be a "right place, right time" scenario for him. He's the biggest college name they have a realistic shot at, so he'd make a huge, face-saving splash.

Army fired Rich Ellerson after 5 seasons.

That is always an interesting job since it's all "Yeah - none of your kids are on scholarship but you better damn beat Navy"

With as much glee as I've shown over the whole Texas fiasco, I ought to mention that Brown showed a lot of class in his resignation.  Specifically, he said his two regrets from his time at Texas were the death of Cole Pittman (a Texas defensive lineman killed in a 1 car wreck), and the Bonfire collapse in 99.

I graduated from A&M in 94, and happened to know Cole personally (my wife was the main math tutor for the Texas football team at the time).  There aren't many events that I can remember exactly where I was when I heard about them.  Those are two.  I remember spending all day after the stack fell trying to make sure friends' younger brothers were ok, and eventually learning that one wasn't.  I also remember how much my wife had liked Cole, and how broken up she was about his death.

Brown could easily have said his big regret was McCoy getting hurt in the NC game with Alabama.  He didn't mention that, and I've got to give him respect for it.

Raekwon MacMillan chooses OSU over Bama

VaBBJlk.gif

My favorite part of this isn't even that he is playing for my favorite college team, it is that we are finally getting to the point were high profile athletes are named after members of the Wu-Tang Clan.  Can I get a SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO?

• Like 1

Notre Dame are supposedly ripping out their natural grass field and are going with artificial turf, adding two videoboards at the NE and SW corners of the stadium. There will be a tunnel at the south end of the stadium with the visiting teams locker room moving there.

And they are dropping Adidas at the end of 2014 season - they will be going with Under Armour

Yeah, if you're not going to actually take care of your field - and Notre Dame really doesn't - then you gotta get FieldTurf. 

Under Armour must have backed up the brinks truck big-time to get ND to switch. 

The "regular" UA stuff looks awesome - but is so expensive. The stuff they've done for Northwestern (patriot jerseys aside) has largely been great, but I'm not paying $70 for a jersey or $30 for a t-shirt. That's just silly. All I've gotten sine the switchover is a beanie, which I won on a Twitter giveaway. For what its worth, it *is* an awesome and warm piece of headwear.

Yeah, if you're not going to actually take care of your field - and Notre Dame really doesn't - then you gotta get FieldTurf. 

Under Armour must have backed up the brinks truck big-time to get ND to switch. 

I'm also guessing this is something Coach Kelly pushed for, much like many other changes that have come about. With the way Kelly has been recruiting, and now with a better field, man, ND's offense is about to start torching opposing defenses. Of course, they still need to win away from home.

First bowl game of the season turned out to be a good one, with Colorado State coming back at the end to beat the Pirate. Very happy for Jim McElwain, who did great work at Bama and now seems to have CSU heading in the right direction.

The "quadruple option" already kinda exists. It's not all 100% classic option with just handoffs and laterals, but a lot of the spread run teams run plays where the QB has 4 options. Auburn does it a bit. Ole Miss does it a ton.

The "quadruple option" already kinda exists. It's not all 100% classic option with just handoffs and laterals, but a lot of the spread run teams run plays where the QB has 4 options. Auburn does it a bit. Ole Miss does it a ton.

I know it's probably a pipe dream, but I'd love to see a team bring back the pro-style offense (not as in current professional football offense, but the two back/two wide/one TE pro-formation) with the old school triple option attack being a centerpiece of it.

Unless there is somebody running that and I'm not aware of it...

As mentioned in the NFL thread too - Bill O'Brien is the overwhelming favorite to become the Texans next head coach per ESPN sources

Apparently O'Brien met with the Texans shortly after Christmas and the two sides are working on a deal