DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

For the record, my "exactly" was at Tabe about Mariotta's college course load. I care not a single bit what the field at ND is.

Quote feature, pal. Clarifying internet discourse since, well, ever.

Tabe, flinging crap even at those who agree with him.

What am I missing about that Notre Dame pic?

The ND logo is at mid-field.

Yeah, I'm not seeing cause for any hand-wringing.

Considering that the tradition for over 130 years for the team, or over 80 years in that stadium, has been that there is nothing on that field except for the hash lines, it's something of a big deal. I wouldn't expect you to understand, but to many, that's important. :/

Considering that the tradition for over 130 years for the team, or over 80 years in that stadium, has been that there is nothing on that field except for the hash lines, it's something of a big deal. I wouldn't expect you to understand, but to many, that's important. :/

I think I'd understand the uproar if it was a sponsor logo or something - but the school logo?  Not a big deal.  I get it, it's a tradition for nothing to be there, etc, but...yeah, a year from now, nobody will care.

I think I'd understand the uproar if it was a sponsor logo or something - but the school logo?  Not a big deal.  I get it, it's a tradition for nothing to be there, etc, but...yeah, a year from now, nobody will care.

To clarify, the "ugh" wasn't for their logo- it was for the surface said logo was being laid down on.

• Like 2

I'm betting that a year from now that logo won't return. Call it a hunch.

I'll take that bet.

Caveat: Bet is off if they go back to natural grass.

When the past is all you have to hang your hat on it becomes a big deal......just ask Clemson.

The new turf and the logo isn't going anywhere as long as Kelly is there. This is another example of him dragging Notre Dame football into the new millennium. Their turf has been sub-par by the standards of modern college football for years now. If they couldn't keep it in good condition, there was no excuse for not going to field turf. Can't be a first-class program with shitty grass. They'll be able to play faster now, which is what Kelly wants.

The logo is a selling point for recruits, so the field looks like an actual big-time college field and not a decrepit high school field in the bad part of town. Kelly will get those diagonal lines out of the endzone before he's done.

These traditional programs often need an outsider to come in and point out ingrained stupidity. "Why are we doing this?" If they don't have a better answer than "Because it's tradition!," then it probably needs to go. Saban junked all kinds of stuff when he got to Alabama.

The field turf I'm fine with. I think that was necessary. The diagonal lines in the endzones will never change. I can see the logo fitting in, but there needs to be some kind of tradition left and there's only so far that the Brothers of the Holy Cross will allow Kelly to go. However, are you saying Notre Dame is in a shitty part of town?

No, I'm saying the way the field used to look with nothing on it but the lines and hashes looked like the sort of shitty field you'd find in "the bad part of town," that, like, a youth league would play on or something.

I would be inclined to agree with you if that plain jane football field weren't housed inside of a massive stadium or TV shots didn't show Touchdown Jesus in the background or there wasn't b-roll footage of the area around the stadium or Notre Dame didn't have a national broadcast network showing their home games. Ultimately, it's a football field and given many camera shots, you don't even see much of that field. If you're someone being scouted, are you going to care more about the field or are you going to care more about wearing the gold helmet?

Michigan finally broke down and put in field turf in I think 2003?  It was after they expanded the stadium (to end the blasphemy of Tennessee temporarily having a bigger capacity) and lowered the field, only to cause massive drainage problems that left the field just absolute garbage.  It was really weird to see for a year or so, but then you just kinda stop noticing.

Michigan finally broke down and put in field turf in I think 2003?  It was after they expanded the stadium (to end the blasphemy of Tennessee temporarily having a bigger capacity) and lowered the field, only to cause massive drainage problems that left the field just absolute garbage.  It was really weird to see for a year or so, but then you just kinda stop noticing.

They also had astro-turf from the late 60's to early 90's.

Yeah.  69-91, I believe.  But I turned 10 during the '91 season, so I don't have a ton of memories from the astroturf era.

Plus, we all know that astroturf is an abomination.

The NCAA has granted the "Power 5" conferences autonomy on a number of issues (staff sizes, contact between players and agents, financial stipends, etc).  This could be the first step in the crumbling of college football as we know it...