DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Why does ROH even bother doing the MYSTERY wrestler thing? It always disappoints. The speculation runs wild and we get left let down by whoever it is. Earlier this year when they ran their tournament they hyped the last name to be announced as someone special and it ended up Mark Briscoe.

Watch it be Johnny Gargano.

2014 inductees named for Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame in Amsterdam, N.Y.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

By Edward Munger Jr.

Gazette Reporter  

AMSTERDAM — Eleven athletes who helped feed society’s age-old lust for physical combat have been named as the newest stars headed for recognition by the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame.

The Amsterdam-based PWHF last week announced plans for a weekend ceremony to be held in May to celebrate its 13th induction of professional wrestlers, the hall’s Class of 2014.

The PWHF is not affiliated with pro wrestling organizations past or present but it strives to recognize those who made a living entertaining a mass of fans that stretch around the globe.

There are more than 20 halls of fame in the state, PWHF board of directors President Tony Vellano noted. Among them, baseball, boxing, horse racing and dancing all have halls that draw guests with specific interests to New York.

He said the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum is cementing its place among fans of the spectacle, which traces its roots to the original Olympics in Greece.

Though less regulated than amateur wrestling, professional wrestling has given many individuals a chance to continue their sport — even though they sometimes employ folding chairs or drop their opponent onto a table.

Vellano said a large percentage of the pro wrestling stars people see on TV were high school and college wrestling champions for whom there are few avenues to continue competing.

Pro wrestling opened up that window, he said, but, “there is a cost to bear when that happens.”

Unlike amateur wrestlers who train for a month or more for a meet, pros may wrestle many dozens of times per year, sometimes as much as twice a day.

The late Walter “Killer” Kowalski, a legendary pro wrestler who later started a professional wrestling school, had about 15,000 matches during his career, Vellano said.

Kowalski was inducted by the PWHF into the class of 2003, along with Hulk Hogan.

The Amsterdam-based hall of fame draws support from events that stretch as far away as Japan, Vellano said. The advent of the social networking site Facebook makes it possible to identify followers, and their whereabouts, and the PWHF now boasts more than 9,000 friends from nearly 80 counties.

Last week’s announcement of 2014 inductees marks the unofficial start to planning for a two-day ceremony to center on the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum in downtown Amsterdam, which now contains about 5,000 square feet of professional memorabilia dating from the mid-1800s.

Vellano said more details of the events planned for the spring will be announced as they are developed.

Many of the old-timers have died. For some of the inductees, being recognized is an emotional event, Vellano said.

He said many have told him they figured they were simply forgotten by the masses who once chanted their names.

The wrestlers chosen for induction are all selected by their peers — fellow professional wrestlers.

The Class of 2014 is:

Pioneer Era (Pre–1946): Stu Hart and Leroy McGuirk

Television Era (1943–1984): Bruiser Brody and Johnny Walker, aka Mr. Wrestling # 2

Modern Era (1985–present) Don Muraco and Bill Eadie, aka The Masked Superstar

Ladies: Sheri Martel

Tag Team: Don and Jackie Fargo, aka The Fargos

Colleague: Gary Hart

International: Lord Alfred Hayes

More information about the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum is online at www.pwhf.org.

I know nothing about ROH but I assume this would be Chris Hero?

I forgot about him, that would work too. If it is going to be him, just announce it so people don't think Low Ki, KENTA, Samoa Joe or something else crazy and improbable. Don't hype matches like this. It is Eddie Edwards last match potentially, that should be all people need.

The Onita = Loudness comparison doesn't work because his later days were better than his pre-injury career as a junior. Loudness was so much better pre-Thunder it's mindblowing. Onita ain't got no Devil Soldier or Disillusion from his AJPW days.

Then again, I guess you can equate the success of Thunder to the success of the Thunder Fire Powerbomb. 

Back to the Horsemen of 93....

Bobby Eaton would have been a logical pick, coming off his team with Arn. I would have went with Steve Austin honestly - his gimmick at the time was perfect for a Horseman. 

Really, if you look at the WCW roster at the time there were so many guys who could have been a Horseman other than Roma. Even Orndorff would have been a better choice. Bagwell. The list goes on. I just can't imagine the line of thinking of "Hey, you know that guy who has been jobbing for the past 6 years to everybody in WWF.. yeah let's make him a Horseman!"

I saw a thing on my FB feed that made me realize the greatest indy dream match ever suggested:

Davey Richards vs. Lo Ki vs. Teddy Hart

Only problem is, there's probably no company that would host it.

I saw a thing on my FB feed that made me realize the greatest indy dream match ever suggested:

Davey Richards vs. Lo Ki vs. Teddy Hart

Only problem is, there's probably no company that would host it.

The Clowns could make that happen at a Gathering surely.  Unless there is heat between them and any of the above.

Also, catching up on last weeks SD...

I think the Uso's are my favourite thing in wrestling at the minute.

The Sons of 'Kish have been awesome pretty much all year.

Back to the Horsemen of 93....

Bobby Eaton would have been a logical pick, coming off his team with Arn. I would have went with Steve Austin honestly - his gimmick at the time was perfect for a Horseman. 

Really, if you look at the WCW roster at the time there were so many guys who could have been a Horseman other than Roma. Even Orndorff would have been a better choice. Bagwell. The list goes on. I just can't imagine the line of thinking of "Hey, you know that guy who has been jobbing for the past 6 years to everybody in WWF.. yeah let's make him a Horseman!"

Tom Zenk? Erik Watts?

HIAC and Battleground buyrates are in. HIAC did OKish, but Battleground was a total disaster. It looks to have done 125-130 domestic and worldwide and might end up the second lowest ppv ever, behind the ECW one in 2006.

HIAC and Battleground buyrates are in. HIAC did OKish, but Battleground was a total disaster. It looks to have done 125-130 domestic and worldwide and might end up the second lowest ppv ever, behind the ECW one in 2006.

Maybe if WWE would stop running three PPVs in the span of 7-8 weeks every September/October...

I mean really. One per month is plenty. But the months where they only have 2-3 week builds are always going to bomb. The bad thing is, they end up bombing and the guys who headline them take the heat for it. Really they could have put Cena vs. Austin out there and it would do disappointing numbers on a 2 week build. 

• Like 3

Battleground? The PPV with main eventer Daniel Bryan and no John Cena? That Battleground?

Battleground? The PPV with main eventer Daniel Bryan and no John Cena? That Battleground?

Randy Orton really is an underachiever. He's invisible even to low buyrates!

• Like 1

Hell in a Cell

2009: 283,000

DX vs. The Legacy/John Cena vs. Randy Orton

2010: 210,000

Kane vs. The Undertaker/John Cena vs. Wade Barrett

2011: 182,000

John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk/Randy Orton vs. Mark Henry

2012: 199,000

CM Punk vs. Ryback

2013: 205,000

Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan/Alberto Del Rio vs. John Cena

I give up.

I ran into Tommy Dreamer at the last KOTR PPV at Nationwide Arena in Columbus when he was doing that eat and drink odd shit gimmick. He had a booth in the bathroom by the urinals. He had different wrestlers "pee" on display. I asked hin to drink Hogan's so he could Hulk Up for a victory in his match. Warrior's "pee" was on display as well. It was a tough choice.

It's almost like screwing your most over act out of your World Title twice in as many months would get under people's skin!