DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

This does beg the question about who really should be the top heel in the company?

It pains me to say it because his spot feels like a result of booking decisions but the answer is HHH. He's the only main event heel (other than lesnar) who hasn't had to take credibility damaging losses to either Punk, Cena, Sheamus or Bryan in the last year.

Let him play the cowardly heel with an enormous ego who never wrestles. Have him use his position of power to avoid having defend the title. He'll be forced into wrestling once a month on ppv. His lineup of yes men and enforcers can fill up time on raw/smack down.

Every title match would actually matter and the heat would be nuclear.

• Like 3

Saw MsChif in a grocery store once.  Just a little bit awkward...kinda knew her from the indy promotion that I followed, but I figured I shouldn't bug her too much.

In a more tangential story, I've done local comedy shows with Randy Orton's brother.  He's apparently not too big on the wrestling thing though.

You know, I actually kind of like Pandering Punk. I felt like his babyface run before was a bit too forced with a bit too much pressure. He never seemed like he was enjoying himself because he was trying to be too cool (save for maybe when he brought Fink out). He actually seems to be having a ball now, especially on the apron in tags.

I nominate the SHIELD as an entity for top heel act. Reigns is in a great position right now, but the SHIELD could be a new style main event stable: One were they as a group have no long term top guy: it just changes all the time. All 3 can work, A feud with an individual member could elevate a midcarder to the title hunt, and I think the group as a unit talks well enough to make it work.

I'm not a fan of Randy Orton. The closest I've ever come to enjoying his work was the RNN updates on his shoulder injury.

As for my chance meeting w/ a wrestler, I met Devon Storm back in 2001-02 when I worked @ Suncoast Motion Picture Co. He was cool as hell, staying to talk for about 10-15 minutes aftet he made his purchase. I got his autograph on the back of a coupon.

If we're going with chance meetings of wrestlers, I almost ran over Harley Race at an indy show a couple years back. Not in a car, but I turned around right into him. I didn't even realize it was him at first as I was looking down. I was in the middle of apologizing when I looked up and realized who it was. My reaction was to completely deadpan and say 'Holy shit, you're Harley Race.' Totally awesome guy, and probably the only one the near mine or my brothers height. It was really awesome. Also met and talked to Shane Douglas, who seemed legitimately flattered when I told him he was one of the guys that made me fall in love with wrestling

Replace Harley Race with Rob Van Dam and that's my story.  Was going to the concession stand at the Terry Funk Amarillo Retirement show in 1997 and wasn't paying attention and smacked right into him.  I apologized, he said "It's cool" and that was it.

And I met Jonathan Coachman at a strip club after a RAW that was in our town.  The strippers were lining up to be around him (as were my drunken friends.)

I got to watch Summerslam 2001 with Steve Corino. A friend of mine was training with ECCW at the time and they brought Corino in for a few shows (when he was NWA champ). My friend invited Corino to watch Summerslam at his house with us. He was pretty cool, real laid back. Even when I asked him how Tajiri's english was (which he said was probably the question he gets asked the most). I also got to meet Tommy Dreamer and Christopher Daniels through the same friend, and they were both really nice too.

Well? How *is* Tajiri's English?

I got to watch Summerslam 2001 with Steve Corino. A friend of mine was training with ECCW at the time and they brought Corino in for a few shows (when he was NWA champ). My friend invited Corino to watch Summerslam at his house with us. He was pretty cool, real laid back. Even when I asked him how Tajiri's english was (which he said was probably the question he gets asked the most). I also got to meet Tommy Dreamer and Christopher Daniels through the same friend, and they were both really nice too.

Well? How *is* Tajiri's English?

Go ask Corino. Apparently everyone does.

If I could compare how I feel about bands to certain wrestlers:

1) JOHN CENA = GREEN DAY. I was already into punk when Dookie broke when I was in high school and naturally hated it. But I quickly came around a little bit later when my college friend, and not a punk, talked them up. I revisited my thoughts on Green Day quickly. Their early Lookout catalog is really solid. Dookie is a  really awesome album and deserves the popularity it had. The stuff after Dookie was really hit-or-miss but then they delivered big time with Warning and American Idiot. They then settled into writing a decent string of formula stuff that kids love that older folks usually hate, unless you actually break it down and realize they know songwriting and not deserving of the negative criticisms. I don't think I'll go out of my way to pick up any new Green Day records but I'll still listen to them and like them quite a bit. They aren't my favorite band but they have their moments that I will always love.

That's sort of Cena to me. His early stuff (the Angle match, the Thugonomics Eminem dipshit stuff into the diss raps) holds up really well and was exciting as anything. He had a lot of high-water marks (the Umaga match). A lot of folks hate him but when if you really break him down you realize he's awesome and can break out late-period classics. He's still for the kids and he'll never be my favorite -- I always love his opponents way more -- but, damn, do I appreciate what he's done.

I almost comped him to Pearl Jam. I'm not a Pearl Jam fan but I appreciate what they do. But if Green Day was playing by my house and tickets were affordable, I'd probably go and check it out. Pearl Jam probably puts on a better show but I wouldn't go.

2) RANDY ORTON = WEEZER -- Weezer's first two albums are perfect and always will be. I was a huge mark for Orton during his early RNN run and his death match stuff with Foley and when he punted Vince in the skull and made out with an unconscious Steph as HHH was forced to watch. I think the Green Album is a perfect formula of an album but not anything I truly love or will revisit. Then there's a few decent songs here and there among a sea of garbage. When inspired Rivers can write a great pop song (see: "I Was Wrong" and "Lemonade" from his solo stuff) but man are they a snooze a lot of times.

3) EDDIE GUERRERO = THE WHO -- I can consider The Who as maybe my favorite band of all-time. Their early stuff was amazing and great and popular but not as big as The Beatles or The Stones. Then they ran into some interpersonal troubles and also reinvented themselves when music changed. They still were the best, even though Who's Next and the like are essentially different styles of music from I Can't Explain. Eddie and Keith Moon also met an unfortunate demise.

4) THE ONLY ONES = EDDIE GILBERT -- The Only Ones wrote a bunch of blistering power-pop songs in the late 70s/80s, culminating with "Another Girl, Another Planet" which might be the greatest single ever recorded. However, their drug issues and the like (including a rumored drive-by shooting their lead singer committed) caused them to go into the forgotten bin. Eddie Gilbert friggin' RULED it during his short career and had one of wrestling's high-water marks when he buried Bill Watts under the Russian flag and/or mowed down Jerry Lawler. But his issues prevented him from becoming THE star he should have been and his last match came wrestling against a trained bear in Puerto Rico.

• Like 1

My only meeting with a wrestler is meeting Tony "Banger" Walsh at an FWA show. We had a nice chat, he put me in a headlock for a photo (which is, and will forever be, my Twitter profile pic) and then gave me an open invite to pop to his house to see his memorabilia from his World of Sports days. Never did take him up on it, sadly