DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

HIAC and Battleground buyrates are in. HIAC did OKish, but Battleground was a total disaster. It looks to have done 125-130 domestic and worldwide and might end up the second lowest ppv ever, behind the ECW one in 2006.

It's almost like screwing your most over act out of your World Title twice in as many months would get under people's skin!

"It's this, that, this, and that." 

No, it's because Daniel Bryan doesn't make a dime for the Goddamn company. It's the reason he can't afford a tour bus for himself. CM Punk has only been a top star for a short period, and he can afford a bus. You know why? Because his T-Shirts make him, and the company money.

Four Horsemen have to be the Beatles, right? Ric Flair is Paul McCartney and still held up into old age. Also had problems with ex-wives.

Who's Paul Roma?
Some ungrateful idiot who performed at Wrestlemania and was a member of the Four Horsemen and still some how is bitter.

It's not his fault Flair and Anderson were jealous of his body.

They should've just paid Tully what he wanted I can't believe it was THAT unreasonable of a price that you replace him with Paul fucking Roma

I thought that Tully failed a drug test and that's why he didn't come back to be a Horseman. Or am I mixing this up with something else/getting my info wrong?

The first time was 1989, Tully failed a drug test with the WWF and that somehow cost him his new contract in WCW. Jim Herd then cut Arn Anderson's contract offer. 

In the end it hurt WCW more than it hurt Tully Blanchard. Besides ruining the Horsemen reunion, It showed that Jim Herd could not be trusted to keep his word and he was gone before WCW signed any more top level WWF talent. 

The second time is 1993 and yet another Horsemen Reunion. This was built up as the original Horsemen reuniting. Tully was set to come in and Ole Anderson gave what Tully called an insulting offer the week of Slamboree. 

So Tully said screw it and did not sign. So they grabbed Roma at the last minute. 

Tully said he actually ordered the show to see how WCW would get out of the mess they created and started laughing when he saw Roma. 

Personally I think it should have been Bobby Eaton. 

Wasn't Bobby supposed to join the Horsemen in '90?  Or did Herb Kunze just pull that out of his ass?

The Midnights were suppose to join the Horsemen in 1990. Jim Cornette would have sold their contracts to Woman and been an announcer exclusively. Then Jim Herd squashed it and that lead to Cornette and Lane quitting. He talked about it in the Midnight Express book. 

Cornette does hate a lot of people, but usually it is asshole hated by every one.

No, it's because Daniel Bryan doesn't make a dime for the Goddamn company. It's the reason he can't afford a tour bus for himself. CM Punk has only been a top star for a short period, and he can afford a bus. You know why? Because his T-Shirts make him, and the company money.

The bus is a specific contract perk though right?

CM Punk is the problem, I see

Or it could just be that PPV buyrates have been going down steadily for a while now and instead of picking one person as an excuse for it instead of attempting to actually address the problem, but eh, I see your point.

Seriously, here lets look at December ppvs:

Vengeance 2001: 315,000

Armageddon 2002: 335,000

Armageddon 2003: 200,000-240,000 (couldn't find one solid answer)

Armageddon 2004: 242,000

Armageddon 2005: 280,000

Armageddon 2006: 239,000

Armageddon 2007: 237,000

Armageddon 2008: 193,000

TLC 2009: 228,000

TLC 2010: 195,000

TLC 2011: 179,000

TLC 2012: 175,000

The bus is a specific contract perk though right?

Yes, and the idea that no one buys Bryan's merch is bullshit, too.

• Like 1

I ran into Tommy Dreamer at the last KOTR PPV at Nationwide Arena in Columbus when he was doing that eat and drink odd shit gimmick. He had a booth in the bathroom by the urinals. He had different wrestlers "pee" on display. I asked hin to drink Hogan's so he could Hulk Up for a victory in his match. Warrior's "pee" was on display as well. It was a tough choice.

Oh man, I read this as that "eat and drink and shit odd gimmick" and couldn't remember Dreamer fake and/or shoot-pooping in WWE.

So,wait, Bryan reversed a multi-year trend of dropping buyrates for HIAC?

It's like, after I read this, I was waiting for the "whoosh" effect used when you answer a question wrong at the Gorge of Eternal Peril ...

- Here are some updated numbers from recent WWE Studios projects:

* The Marine: Homefront sold $2,570,365 worth of DVD units and $730,820 worth of Blu-ray units since its release in March.

* 12 Rounds: Reloaded sold $919,421 worth of DVD units and $584,831 in Blu-ray units since June.

* The Call sold 468,917 DVD units from June 30th through August 4th for $8,513,782 and 133,371 Blu-ray units for $3,142,841.

* Dead Man Down sold 188,501 DVD units from July 14th through August 4th for a gross of $3,418,711. During the same period, the movie sold 94,905 Blu-ray units for $1,824,178.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/1202/567895/wwe-diva-gives-back-on-thanksgiving/#rIVbgUr1KEMYQBKY.99

* The Marine: Homefront sold $2,570,365 worth of DVD units and $730,820 worth of Blu-ray units since its release in March.

* 12 Rounds: Reloaded sold $919,421 worth of DVD units and $584,831 in Blu-ray units since June.

* The Call sold 468,917 DVD units from June 30th through August 4th for $8,513,782 and 133,371 Blu-ray units for $3,142,841.

* Dead Man Down sold 188,501 DVD units from July 14th through August 4th for a gross of $3,418,711. During the same period, the movie sold 94,905 Blu-ray units for $1,824,178.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/1202/567895/wwe-diva-gives-back-on-thanksgiving/#rIVbgUr1KEMYQBKY.99

So, clearly, Wade Barrett should be the Face of the WWE.

So,wait, Bryan reversed a multi-year trend of dropping buyrates for HIAC?

No, the return of Cena, and Punk finally getting his hands on Heyman did.

So two guys whose main events contributed to that multi-year trend vs. the guy main eventing it for the first time.  This is weak even by your generally pathetic standards.

• Like 1

So, clearly, Wade Barrett should be the Face of the WWE.

I know that's a joke, but even with better-than-usual DVD sales, Dead Man Down still lost a ton when all is said and done.

Film cost $30 million, millions more in marketing and totally flopped in theaters. It would have to have been a Dredd-sized hit to make back it's money, and it hasn't been.

Maybe with TV rights, rentals and Netflix it could possibly break even, but I don't know.