DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

@WWEHOFerSunny

Great news! After a 3 1/2 hour wait at the docs today, my pathology report states that I AM CANCER FREE!!! NO RADIATION NEEDED!! Wooooooo!!

Similar "miraculous recovery" to Ian Rotten's.

How long until she starts selling copies of the pathology report and a pair of underwear she wore while ill for the low, low price of $99.99?

How long ago was she diagnosed?  This seems like a too quick turnaround, but I didn't pay much attention to the initial news, so maybe it's not as fast as it seems.

WCW's pay per view in December '94 was Starrcade that had Hogan/Butcher as the main event, Sting/Avalanche (ending in a DQ), Mr. T (!) vs. Kevin Sullivan, the 800th Nasty Boys vs. Harlem heat match, the dreadful Johnny B. Badd beating Arn and Vader vs. Jim Duggan.

Badd/Anderson was pretty good, and Vader vs. Duggan was the last good match of Duggan's career, and was shockingly excellent.  They just beat the living hell out of each other.

But, yeah, the rest of that show was garbage with a side of garbage.

Maybe I'm just tired of wrestling fans who constantly whine that wrestling needs the return of ECW, the NWO, and the Attitude Era and then everything will be great.

Personally I agree with this. But I don't mind folks talking about what happened during those eras, hell, lots of times I learn something I didn't previously know from the people here. It hasn't been bad on this particular board, but I've read others who are bad about wanting the good ole days back.

For example I had no idea Lita was in ECW

She was Miss Congeniality, a valet for Danny Doring. He proposed to her at a random PPV & used a condom instead of a ring on her finger. She wasn't around for long.

She also bit her toenails off on camera during a backstage segment.

Don't ask why I remember that.

I met her when she was working as Angelica/Angelina traveling with Christian York and Joey Matthews when they worked for MCW and other east coast indies.

WCW's pay per view in December '94 was Starrcade that had Hogan/Butcher as the main event, Sting/Avalanche (ending in a DQ), Mr. T (!) vs. Kevin Sullivan, the 800th Nasty Boys vs. Harlem heat match, the dreadful Johnny B. Badd beating Arn and Vader vs. Jim Duggan.

Badd/Anderson was pretty good, and Vader vs. Duggan was the last good match of Duggan's career, and was shockingly excellent.  They just beat the living hell out of each other.

Pretty much everything after Havoc 94, up to like, early 96 was buttcheeks.

• Like 1

I don't get why buttcheeks is a bad thing. Who doesn't like buttcheeks?

I don't get why buttcheeks is a bad thing. Who doesn't like buttcheeks?

It's what's in the middle.  (See, you can learn something on "Duck Dynasty.")

I can't remember the build-up to those matches at all. I assume they're terrible. I love Vader like everyone else but Hacksaw in that era was the pits. I'm sure the match was good but who cares? I'd rather watch Mikey Whipwreck and Foley.

I hate to sound stereotypical, but everything involving Hogan sucked. The rest of it was pretty entertaining.

Flair/Savage was definitely great overall, but whoever said Johnny B. Badd was dreadful is wrong. That dude was pretty good, and Badd/DDP was a really fun feud with a bunch of good matches. As for DDP, one of the pleasures of watching WCW in the mid-'90s is watching DDP get better with each match and start getting himself over with the crowd organically. 

Once Nitro hit in September of '95, they started working Malenko, Rey, Eddie, etc. into the shows so that the undercard gets really fun in a hurry, too. Lots more good matches than bad. 

It's just that the bad was comically bad (Hogan vs. Dungeon of Doom being the prime example). 

Back when people on this board were talking about how great Rock vs Brock would be (around Cena/Rock 2), I never really understood it.  The appeal of Cena vs Rock 1 was that it was stars from different eras going at it (like Rock vs Hogan).  The appeal of Cena vs Rock 2 was that you got to witness the culmination of the WWE's steadfastly-masturbatory storyline of how great John Cena is with absolutely no surprises along the way.  What's the appeal of Rock vs Lesnar?  We already got that match back when both were fulltime wrestlers.

Back when people on this board were talking about how great Rock vs Brock would be (around Cena/Rock 2), I never really understood it.  The appeal of Cena vs Rock 1 was that it was stars from different eras going at it (like Rock vs Hogan).  The appeal of Cena vs Rock 2 was that you got to witness the culmination of the WWE's steadfastly-masturbatory storyline of how great John Cena is with absolutely no surprises along the way.  What's the appeal of Rock vs Lesnar?  We already got that match back when both were fulltime wrestlers.

This is the exact reason I have no interest in Brock vs. Taker.

True, RandomAct. There were some good Nitro matches between the cruisers, however. Heck, the first Nitro kicked off with Liger/Pillman.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the "Luger is a heel and everyone knows it except for Sting" and Pillman/Horsemen vs. Sullivan/DoD quasi-feud that Benoit got slotted into within the Pillman role once the latter left for the WWF. Those were both hot angles looking back at those shows, and I liked how everything was interconnected.

Flair was busy dicking with Savage, but he also was dicking with Sting while at the same time trying to hold a Horsemen/DoD alliance together to take down Hulk Hogan. 

Sting was backing Luger as a changed man and was tag champs with him, but Luger was running with Jimmy Hart as manager right after Hart turned on Hogan and joined the DoD. Was Luger fooling Sting (probably)? Was Sting going to get turned to the DoD with Luger? Was Luger just dumb as a sack of rocks and making bad choices? 

Savage and Flair were at one another's throats, but Savage was also asked by Hogan for help against the DoD. 

The faces didn't know whether they could trust one another and there was some in-fighting, but the same was true of the heel alliance. It made for some damn fine pro-wrestling drama.

Add to that the juniors and some good undercard wrestlers doing their own thing like Alex Wright, Badd, DDP, Paul Orndorff getting a nice little push before he got hurt [see Badd/Orndorff on the 9/18/95 Nitro for a pretty nice TV match]. 

Plus the tag ranks were great because the Steiners and Road Warriors both came back around that time. I like bomb-throwing tag teams beating the shit out of each other with dangerous moves, so Steiners/Road Warriors/Harlem Heat/Public Enemy was basically pure joy to me. 

Some of this stuff happened in '95, so '94 and the first part of '95 did have some serious problems, but by mid-to-late '95, there is good stuff all over the weekly shows. Nitro in particular really saw a step up in game of both in-ring action and entertaining booking. It's total hindsight, but watching that stuff again, I was really sad that some of the ongoing angles got dropped abruptly (and others pushed to the side) for the all-encompassing nWo angle. I know that's just because the nWo thing didn't turn out very well in the end, but the pacing and development of the shows beforehand were hitting such a stride by early 1996. 

• Like 2

Facebook is especially irritating in this regard.

I had someone inform me that my statement that ECW was dead and gone was nothing more than my opinion.

Oh, the Facebook hate I got from people who think Davey Richards is anything other than fucking awful could write a book.

• Like 3