DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

You all hate ECW now but it's what you would love the most if you were smark-ish in the mid-90s.

ECW first got its major smark attention in '94 once it started getting on TV regionally and things like Prodigy and AOL and RSPW had the first online gatherings for diehard rasslin' fans. The big two were essentially worthless. December '94 was around the time ECW had Shane Douglass trashing the NWA Title and doing an entire episode based on one of his promos, Sabu and the Public Enemy tearing the house down, Sandman duping Tommy Dreamer with a cane, Terry Funk hiding in a box, Ian and Axl beating each other with glass, etc.

WCW's pay per view in December '94 was Starrcade that had Hogan/Butcher as the main event, Sting/Avalanche (ending in a DQ), Mr. T (!) vs. Kevin Sullivan, the 800th Nasty Boys vs. Harlem heat match, the dreadful Johnny B. Badd beating Arn and Vader vs. Jim Duggan.

The Survivor Series PPV in '94 had a main event of Undertaker vs. Yokozuna in a casket match. I know people retroactively like it but ugh. The only stuff worth watching in the WWF at the time was Bret vs. Backlund, which led to Diesel winning the belt, and he was super uninteresting and dumb.

Context is important. I like what we have on free TV a lot now but I can't really compare it to what was going on in ECW in 1994. It's a completely different landscape.

• Like 2

In Tommy's defense, if he did say such a thing to Dixie it was probably in a joking and sarcastic manner and as we know Dixie will believe anything.

Case and point Dusty saying "We should just have a whole damn PPV with cage matches" and Dixie loved it so much we got Lockdown.

You all hate ECW now but it's what you would love the most if you were smark-ish in the mid-90s.

ECW first got its major smark attention in '94 once it started getting on TV regionally and things like Prodigy and AOL and RSPW had the first online gatherings for diehard rasslin' fans. The big two were essentially worthless. December '94 was around the time ECW had Shane Douglass trashing the NWA Title and doing an entire episode based on one of his promos, Sabu and the Public Enemy tearing the house down, Sandman duping Tommy Dreamer with a cane, Terry Funk hiding in a box, Ian and Axl beating each other with glass, etc.

WCW's pay per view in December '94 was Starrcade that had Hogan/Butcher as the main event, Sting/Avalanche (ending in a DQ), Mr. T (!) vs. Kevin Sullivan, the 800th Nasty Boys vs. Harlem heat match, the dreadful Johnny B. Badd beating Arn and Vader vs. Jim Duggan.

The Survivor Series PPV in '94 had a main event of Undertaker vs. Yokozuna in a casket match. I know people retroactively like it but ugh. The only stuff worth watching in the WWF at the time was Bret vs. Backlund, which led to Diesel winning the belt, and he was super uninteresting and dumb.

Context is important. I like what we have on free TV a lot now but I can't really compare it to what was going on in ECW in 1994. It's a completely different landscape.

I don't hate ECW at all, though I wish some folks would just let it die already.  I loved it at the time and much of it still holds up.  

In Tommy's defense, if he did say such a thing to Dixie it was probably in a joking and sarcastic manner and as we know Dixie will believe anything.

Case and point Dusty saying "We should just have a whole damn PPV with cage matches" and Dixie loved it so much we got Lockdown.

Even if for some reason it was a joke, it is still wrong and if she believed him he should have corrected himself. We don't need anymore morons disbelieving the science of concussions. It is like the anti-vaccine crowd, dangerous, ignorant and loud.

I don't hate ECW at all, though I wish some folks would just let it die already.  I loved it at the time and much of it still holds up.  

Oh yeah, all of the reunion shows are the worst. But it's not really any different from guys like Tatanka still getting booked on the indies. It's just they collectively represent a brand that still carries a decent bit of value. Whoever is promoting these is smart to capitalize on that while he still can.

I've never been bothered by fans chanting anything other than Husky Harris. Who cares that's who the dude was for five weeks three years earlier in the dying days of the Nexus angle. Thankfully, his work is strong enough that's been long forgotten.

Why should anyone "just let ECW die already"?  Should we let the NWA "just die"?  Or Smokey Mountain, or WCW, or the glory days of AJPW?  I just don't get why there is the huge ECW backlash.  It was the best promotion going in the US for a while and people, like me, have very fond memories of the promotion.  Why should I let that "just die"?  The promotion is dead, but please.....LEAVE THE MEMORIES ALONE!!!!

• Like 1

Over-saturation from all the revival events maybe? It kind of cheapened all the memories when every one and their brother was promoting an ECW reunion and as they kept happening, they made less and less sense.

Now a King's Road AJPW reunion or WCW reunion show would be cool, but if they kept doing them people would get annoyed about those too.

In the mid-90s, my snarky taste was more SMW and NJPW and Mickinoku.

Maybe I'm just tired of wrestling fans who constantly whine that wrestling needs the return of ECW, the NWO, and the Attitude Era and then everything will be great.

Personally I agree with this.  But I don't mind folks talking about what happened during those eras, hell, lots of times I learn something I didn't previously know from the people here.  It hasn't been bad on this particular board, but I've read others who are bad about wanting the good ole days back.

Yeah but I didn't get into that whole thing until later, when the superworkers and the luchadores (and Jericho) were in WCW, Austin and Foley were in WWF, and what was left was just this cheap-looking super-indy with a lot of hardcore clusterfucks and the mutants talking it up like it was the best ever.

• Like 1

RE: Heyman. Only interesting part of Lita's book is when she talks about, when ECW was going down the tubes and checks were bouncing and whatnot, Heyman was giving yet another motivational speech to everyone in a meeting and how she instantly recognized how full of shit he was and that he'd pretty much built his company on lying to everyone . 

He's a great talker and talent obviously, but he strikes me as absolutely one of the last people you'd want in your life on a personal/professional level. I don't think he's that much different from Bischoff, whom he despises.  Can talk a good game, but not much else.

He has a lot of good ideas and knows how to do good episodic television. But he was bad with money and on delegating responsibility. 

Maybe I'm just tired of wrestling fans who constantly whine that wrestling needs the return of ECW, the NWO, and the Attitude Era and then everything will be great.

Personally I agree with this.  But I don't mind folks talking about what happened during those eras, hell, lots of times I learn something I didn't previously know from the people here.  It hasn't been bad on this particular board, but I've read others who are bad about wanting the good ole days back.

Facebook is especially irritating in this regard.

I had someone inform me that my statement that ECW was dead and gone was nothing more than my opinion.

• Like 1

didn't TNA start just randomly blading people more than usual around the time the WWE banned blading? did they ever go through a "WWE banned unprotected chair shots? we should do lots of unprotected chair shots" phase too?

didn't TNA start just randomly blading people more than usual around the time the WWE banned blading? did they ever go through a "WWE banned unprotected chair shots? we should do lots of unprotected chair shots" phase too?

The Homicide/Rob Terry one still pisses me off.

Yeah but I didn't get into that whole thing until later, when the superworkers and the luchadores (and Jericho) were in WCW, Austin and Foley were in WWF, and what was left was just this cheap-looking super-indy with a lot of hardcore clusterfucks and the mutants talking it up like it was the best ever.

Basically this. I never really got into anything ECW had to offer after Raven left for WCW.

Facebook is especially irritating in this regard.

I had someone inform me that my statement that ECW was dead and gone was nothing more than my opinion.

I blocked everyone's postings on Facebook except for six people; my wife, three relatives, a childhood friend that only posts about sports and one of my wife's "friends" that always posts multiple incredibly asinine updates about her life that we always read aloud in a wacky voice we have created for her pointless ramblings.

I also have 20 friends tied to my account and use the site about twice a month. It's awesome.

• Like 2

All three of those wore out their welcome by the end, and none were particularly good in their later years.  People want to copy things like ECW and the nWo without understanding what made them work to begin with (despite creating it (sorta), Bischoll seems to have no idea why the nWo angle took off).

A lot of what made those three work is that they were new and fresh.. 

ECW was actually really underrated in 2000. The in ring work tended to be good with guys like Corino and CW Anderson coming to the forefront, along with Tajiri, Kid Kash and the FBI. 

The booking got pretty bad* by the time the TNN show was ending. With main events ending in disqualifications and other non finishes. 

*Compared to modern booking by WWE and TNA, it is about average. 

• Like 2

I really liked Corino's run in the main event run in 2000.

On the ECW/NWO revivalists, a few years ago a bunch of regional theatres surveyed all their subscribers to see what sort of plays they wanted to see in the coming seasons. Almost all of the subscribers submitted a list of plays that they had recently seen or had fond memories of, but the theatres that embraced those results had poorer attendance because the subscriber bases all felt as though they had no reason to see the same things over again. I feel like the same thing is true for wrestling audiences right now. If polled, the majority of people would say they want things booked like they were when we first started watching, but if that actually happened, most long time fans would end up feeling alienated and the program would inevitably look worse because the viewer would constantly be comparing to an angle that has become untouchable in their eyes. Gosh, I hope that makes sense and doesn't come across as completely nonsensical.

• Like 2