DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Something that's been on my mind for awhile ...

Everyone gives Paul Heyman shit for being a liar/conman/whatever.

Why do guys like Lawler and Jerry Jarrett get a pass though? I've never seen any guy take either of them to task considering they robbed alot of guys blind, conned and lied to alot of guys just as badly, and probably over a longer period of time, as Heyman did.

It's probably a combination of:

1) Paul Heyman will work any angle because he's one of the true fucking pros (although, I'd say that about Lawler as well).

2) Vince and Trips pretty clearly hate Heyman.

Vince clearly does not hate Heyman.

Why do guys like Lawler and Jerry Jarrett get a pass though? I've never seen any guy take either of them to task considering they robbed alot of guys blind, conned and lied to alot of guys just as badly, and probably over a longer period of time, as Heyman did.

1) Paul Heyman will work any angle because he's one of the true fucking pros (although, I'd say that about Lawler as well).

There was a segment to set up the Trips/Brock match where Heyman gave this long speech about being a promoter and how inherently dishonest that made you and you could see Vince looking at the guy with all sorts of pride in his eyes.

• Like 1

There was a segment to set up the Trips/Brock match where Heyman gave this long speech about being a promoter and how inherently dishonest that made you and you could see Vince looking at the guy with all sorts of pride in his eyes.
That was a great promo Paul looked Vince dead in the eyes and he said something like " I've lied every single day of my life" and then at the end Brock F'ing Lesnar came out of nowhere and F5ed 67 year old Vince. Such great television.
  • Like 1

There have been times (Vince on Off The Record, the December to Dismember PPV, etc.) where the subtext is that Vince doesn't really have much respect for Heyman.  I think Vince is capable of putting his personal feelings aside in order to do business, which is a real testament to his character, but everything I've seen would seem to imply that he doesn't hold Heyman in particularly high esteem, perhaps because Heyman has this reputation among fans as being a creative genius while Vince, who is far more successful, has a reputation of being completely disconnected with the American zeitgeist.

As for that comment that Heyman made to Vince in a promo about lying about anything, first, that was Vince on screen reacting to Heyman's remarks.  Second, I read that reaction far more as a sarcastic grin more than anything like pride.

I just got a bunch of dvd's from Goodhelmet and I'll be goddamned if Barry Windham isn't one of the top 5 in-ring guys I've ever seen in my life. Amazing.

I too need to know what set this is. Barry from 85 to 89 was easily my favorite wrestler on the planet. The dude was born to do it. Before the injuries and before he let himself go physically, Barry was damn near untouchable.

I hate Heyman because of ECW. For fuck's sake, it wasn't successful and those morons trying to say other wise are the same arseholes that would chant at every got damn thing instead of being genuinely excited or intrigued by what is presented to them. Sorry, but watching people get dropped on their goddamn heads isn't cool. Watching people shove a light bulb or some stupid shit other than a dick up/down the other person's ass/throat isn't awesome. Yeah, flaming tables and barbwire? No fucking shit that people who don't watch wrestling refers the most retarded bullshit as a reason as to why they don't watch.

AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHY ARE THE DOLPHINS LOSING TO THE FUCKING JETS?! I HATE YOU FOOTBALL AND I HATE YOU MIAMI DOLPHINS THE WHOLE DAMN TEAM NEEDS TO MARCHED TO A TUNA CANNERY FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

• Like 1

I just got a bunch of dvd's from Goodhelmet and I'll be goddamned if Barry Windham isn't one of the top 5 in-ring guys I've ever seen in my life. Amazing.

I too need to know what set this is. Barry from 85 to 89 was easily my favorite wrestler on the planet. The dude was born to do it. Before the injuries and before he let himself go physically, Barry was damn near untouchable.

It's the 11 disc set he offers.

I hate Heyman because of ECW. For fuck's sake, it wasn't successful and those morons trying to say other wise are the same arseholes that would chant at every got damn thing instead of being genuinely excited or intrigued by what is presented to them. Sorry, but watching people get dropped on their goddamn heads isn't cool. Watching people shove a light bulb or some stupid shit other than a dick up/down the other person's ass/throat isn't awesome. Yeah, flaming tables and barbwire? No fucking shit that people who don't watch wrestling refers the most retarded bullshit as a reason as to why they don't watch.

AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHY ARE THE DOLPHINS LOSING TO THE FUCKING JETS?! I HATE YOU FOOTBALL AND I HATE YOU MIAMI DOLPHINS THE WHOLE DAMN TEAM NEEDS TO MARCHED TO A TUNA CANNERY FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

You're pretty angry aren't ya? Seems like you'd fit right in with an ECW crowd.

It's like you're the anti-Victator.

As a Steelers' fan, I had to like this post just for the Dolphin commentary (Fish had to lose today for the Steelers to have a shot at the playoffs).  Besides, there's no reason a team with a shot at a playoff spot on the line should show up and job like that to the Jets.

It's like you're the anti-Victator.

Yeah I actually watched ECW. They never used light bulbs or even did head drops often. 

I find it strange hearing ECW was not successful. The company accomplished a good bit with very limited resources. It had enough of a fan following, that WWE continues putting out DVDs, did two successful PPV's in a market that was/is shrinking. They even attempted a revival. 

TNA did a knockoff reunion that got one of the only decent buyrates for that company. 

I guess they could have found a corporate backer and continued living as a shambling corpse of a promotion like TNA and ROH. But all in all, ECW was pretty successful. 

• Like 1

Hell, I'd say ECW has become even bigger since closing down.  The retrospective dvds sell well, the WWE brought in the new "ECW" brand for a few years, TNA did a decent buyrate with their ECW reunion ppv if I remember correctly.  It's a viable brand name that has only grown since folding which is pretty astonishing.

ECW has turned into a modern day tall tale.

ECW rejuvenated my interest in professional wrestling. Without ECW I don't know if I would still be a fan. I started with WWF during the height of Hulkamania. I remember watching the Mega-Powers explode at Wrestlemania V and all the build-up leading to it. I stopped watching wrestling sometime after Hogan took off, during all the steroid trial stuff. It was when I hit my teenage years & kinda discovered women anyway. Then I came back to wrestling with Hogan in WCW when the nWo took off. Wrestling exploded again when I was in high school, because of Stone Cold, The Rock, etc. That's when I started really getting into ECW. Time Warner Cable started carrying their PPVs in 1999. I watched them all. They had one every other month & they were only $20 each. It was great.

I would go to school (I graduated in 2000) and everyone would be talking about Stone Cold, Mankind, Miss Hancock or Kevin Nash & I was trying to sell people on The Dudley Boys, Taz, Sabu & Rob Van Dam. So then I was really wanting to know more about it. I first got internet right after Starcade 1998, when Nash beat Goldberg. I remember getting online & being super confused at people shitting on BOTH Nash & Goldberg, saying they both sucked, saying they both couldn't work, talking about politics & bookers... Ha! But then I started looking up more stuff on ECW & because of that, I found out about other wrestling, like Puro & stuff. Started doing the whole tape trading thing, then downloading thing. Educated myself on NJPW, AJPW, NOAH, started watching Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada & I became a fan of message forums & discussing wrestling with other like-minded people.

Nowadays, I enjoy talking about wrestling, or reminiscing about old wrestling, more than I do actually watching it. It's a bigger hobby for me now than it ever was. Without ECW, when my interest in WCW was waning, I would have never sought out more stuff. So ECW was a big deal to me.

From all the ECW that I watched, the craziest stuff I remember was always New Jack jumping off of a balcony. There were obviously hardcore spots & blood but the dives were what blew my mind. I sure don't remember anything that Ebbie is talking about though, not even from the Rottens. I must have missed the show with the light tube sodomy.

• Like 1

ECW had some awesome moments shows and matches the unqiueness of the characters for just being a rag tag group of misfits they had PPV's a national televised program two video games a magazine national DVD distrubution and has grown in folklore that seems like it was successful. Yeah it all fall apart but shit even when it grew into a national entity it was ran by one man of course it was gonna crash and burn it grew way too fast.