DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

He still writes some gems. Why do I value his opinion? Well... I don't.. except when it comes to basketball because he lives and breathes it. He adds a very different perspective that you don't get from anyone else on the four letter or other mainstream networks. There are better b-ball writers but I can still enjoy him.

Only when the storyline dictates we need weight classes will we have them. Do we really want more segments with Bully Ray or Matt Hardy trying to make weight? Matt v2.0 was fun but no thank you.

If WWE made Main Event more like all the WCW c-shows and had Justin Gabriel, The Usos, Tyson Kidd, Zack Ryder and everyone else not in the main event scene going nuts on each other I'd be all about that.

I feel like I am harder on Shoemaker than most, and every time I read one of his articles I end up having a Tina Fey level eye roll at something, but I think he is a victim of his audience in a lot of ways. He writes for a site where he clearly is told to speak towards non fans, lapsed fans, or casual fans, and while he tries valiantly to make wrestling seem worthy of discussion, a lot of times he comes across as someone who tries to shoehorn in data to fit his (really vague and uninteresting reality era) thesis. I will say that Shoemaker does what a lot of critics are unable to and what almost no wrestling writers are able to do, which is write about reasons to watch and like the program even when being critical.

Breaking Bad is over so Vince McMahon might discover that it was a thing sometime next year.  So when a Welterweight Championship gets pitched he'll get really confused and just have Jamie Noble and Hornswoggle wrestle in a ladder match for a bag of meth.

Stylish Alan Jones will show up to critique people's wardrobes.  "Hornswoggle, your leprechaun jammies make you look fat.  Your leprechaun fat also makes you look fat."

• Like 1

Only when the storyline dictates we need weight classes will we have them. Do we really want more segments with Bully Ray or Matt Hardy trying to make weight? Matt v2.0 was fun but no thank you.

No, but I'll definitely take more segments as good as Christian trying to cut weight in Kurt Angle's chicken suit.

• Like 1

I think the reason I dislike Shoemaker is because 75% of the time he's either (a) airing wrestlings dirty laundry (I.e. exploiting the deaths of wrestlers, racism in wrestling, famous shoots) or (b) trying to fit wrestling into the context of his imagined story lines/ subplots.

I don't have a problem with a writer letting an audience into our weird little world. However, he seems to spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on the negatives of the industry and not enough time explaining what makes wrestling great.

AJ Styles to win the new Light Heavyweight title tournament.

AJ would Jerry Lynn it and already be in ROH by the time the first brackets are shown on TV and then him and Matt Tavern would have a best of 20 series with Truth Martini playing the role of Jason.

No, but I'll definitely take more segments as good as Christian trying to cut weight in Kurt Angle's chicken suit.
Angle rolling with that setup into the punchline might be the best thing he ever did
  • Like 1

Why Angle stopped doing comedy ill never know he might be batshit insane but godammit if he aint a comedic genius 

Dork Angle from November 1999 to say August 2001 is my favourite version of Angle. The highlight of it were the brilliant comedic segments with Steve Austin and Vince McMahon.

• Like 2

"You must be this high to wrestle Kurt Angle" is an all-time great moment, too.

And now ... you must be THIS HIGH to wrestle Kurt Angle, amirite?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Up top?

Nate

*Wrestling Superstar*

:(

... sigh ...

• Like 6

they should try seeing what the History Channel could offer them

Five or six guest star spots for Big Show in that Bible miniseries?

to the disappointment of DVDVR board posters lobbying for Mark Henry to be in a History Channel miniseries

720px-John_Henry-27527.jpg

" ♪♫ Mark Henry was lifting on the mountain and his barbells were flashing fire... ♪♫ "

• Like 4