DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

I remember reading the writers were trying to split the belts two days after Vengeance. Which is both terrible and explains a lot of the problems WWE has had for over a decade. 

This was the same writing staff that thought they could punish Steve Austin for bad mouthing them on Byte This. 

I picked up the new WWE comic today.

The cover I got is hideous, but the art inside isn't bad. It's biggest flaw is the same flaw that plagues any comic based on real people -- some of the characters look like their real-life counterparts (Dean Ambrose in particular is spot on, for instance) and others don't look at all like they're supposed to. For instance, I thought Ryback was Justin Credible, and I'm still not sure who he puts through a car window at one point.

For those of you who don't know about the comic, the first storyline (written by Mick Foley) recasts the WWE as "Titan City" and is a sort of gritty, neo-noir take on "What if the WWE were actually a city?" John Cena's a cop who spent the last year in jail after being framed for stealing money; Randy Orton and Alberto del Rio are running for DA while "The Authority" is really running things, CM Punk is a cryptoanarchist vigilante trying to "take back the city", Undertaker is... a tattoo artist? It's actually really clever, and if I understand the afterword correctly, with issue five they'll be doing a completely different take on the WWE, so it looks like a kind of Elseworlds type series that could be fun.

Foley and his co-author are pretty good; the script is a little talky, but it's nowhere near Brian Michael Bendis levels in that regard, and I'm more engaged in this storyline than most anything that's actually on their weekly tv shows.

If you already read comics, it could be worth the $3 to check it out. If you don't read comics, it won't make you change your mind. I'll probably be picking it up for a few months at least.

Random idea that won't happen, a WWE cross of the World Cup/Champions Carnival, with 12 wrestlers representing 12 countries in a round robin (10 WWE guys can fill 10 countries (US Canada Mexico Russia Switzerland Great Britain Ireland South Africa Ghana and Samoa, with imports or new guys representing Japan and China*) held over 5 episodes of Raw, 5 of Smackdown and a PPV

In the tournament, the US representative loses 2 of his first 3 and is tied for 7th after 3 rounds. After 8 rounds, he's tied for 3rd with the Russian. And in the last 3 matches, he defeats the Japanese, Russian and Chinese representatives, while the Japanese/Chinese wrestlers also drop matches to one of the guys at the bottom of the table. With the Japanese upset loss in the final round (round 11) making US/China a match for the tournament victory.

But looking up possible names for such a round robin made me notice that there's not really many prominent ethnic Chinese wrestlers, are there? You'd think there'd be a Chinese TV market to tap into if someone could be found to fit that role

Although thinking about it, pro wrestling has some obvious logistical problems in dictatorships too

Miz vs. Stubborn Five Year Old is WAY better than Miz/Kofi.

Whenever people wonder why Kofi Kingston is still employed because he's awful, midcard fodder, etc., I think we can point to this video as Exhibit A for why he's got a job with WWE.

Actually, the kids that I know love Kofi. I think WWE kinda missed the ball not pushing him to be more than what he is. 

I don't think elementary school kids care what position their favourite wrestler is on the card, which is sort of a blessing and a curse for Kofi.

I still think Kofi should have been pushed to the main event by now. Sure, he's a bit one dimensional and most of what he does in the ring is contrived, but WWE have done a lot more with a lot less when they've decided to really get behind someone. The Orton feud seems to be fondly remembered by people for the most part, but if you were writing a novelisation of Kofi's WWE career, it basically tails off completely at that point. What's his motivation now? Why is he satisfied to piss around in the mid card doing nothing when he had that taste of success? They have 500 PPVs a year, instead of constantly having feuds between established guys drag on for three in a row, they should give guys like Kofi shots in big title matches and see how they do. 

My take on Kofi is that he's really content doing what he likes and earning a nice paycheck. Whenever a JR type refers to wrestlers on the roster who don't have the desire to be champion and are happy making the money they're making he's one of the few people they could be referring to.

What's so interesting about it is Kofi is Punks road beef. You would think some of Punk would rub off on him by now.

Random idea that won't happen, a WWE cross of the World Cup/Champions Carnival, with 12 wrestlers representing 12 countries in a round robin (10 WWE guys can fill 10 countries (US Canada Mexico Russia Switzerland Great Britain Ireland South Africa Ghana and Samoa, with imports or new guys representing Japan and China*) held over 5 episodes of Raw, 5 of Smackdown and a PPV

In the tournament, the US representative loses 2 of his first 3 and is tied for 7th after 3 rounds. After 8 rounds, he's tied for 3rd with the Russian. And in the last 3 matches, he defeats the Japanese, Russian and Chinese representatives, while the Japanese/Chinese wrestlers also drop matches to one of the guys at the bottom of the table. With the Japanese upset loss in the final round (round 11) making US/China a match for the tournament victory.

But looking up possible names for such a round robin made me notice that there's not really many prominent ethnic Chinese wrestlers, are there? You'd think there'd be a Chinese TV market to tap into if someone could be found to fit that role

Although thinking about it, pro wrestling has some obvious logistical problems in dictatorships too

Change China to Mongolia and scour the entire country to see if you can find Blue Wolf.

Kofi is a perfect tag team guy. Too bad Bourne keeps getting in trouble, because AirBoom was great.

Except for that god-awful name.

'Kofi Evan' with a slightly skewed pronunciation would be much better. Imagine the treasure of UN references.

• Like 2

It has been reported that diva AJ Lee is in hot water with WWE Management. Last Wednesday during there show Tribute to the Troops AJ "caused a scene". The event happened in Pierce County, Washington.

Dave Meltzer reported in one of his podcasts which was posted on Sunday morning that AJ saw NBC personality Michelle Beadle who was also there to host the event speak with wrestler CM Punk at the event backstage and "freaked out" specifically. AJ threw " obscenity laced tired of the popular TV personality.

AJ had come off as being very close in her character just has she appears on WWE TV but this was not in a good way. Dave Meltzer reports that AJ has a lot of heat and may be facing punishment for her actions. - Luis A

source: Dave Meltzer

Ha.  That could explain those weird tweets earlier in the week from Beadle.

Lost another friend to CGFN....crazy girlfriend neutering. It's real people. Check your buddies. Affects everyone.

The disease affects men. They are castrated and become shells of their former selves. Hug your brother. ;-)

Hysterical if connected.

It has been reported that diva AJ Lee is in hot water with WWE Management. Last Wednesday during there show Tribute to the Troops AJ "caused a scene". The event happened in Pierce County, Washington.

Dave Meltzer reported in one of his podcasts which was posted on Sunday morning that AJ saw NBC personality Michelle Beadle who was also there to host the event speak with wrestler CM Punk at the event backstage and "freaked out" specifically. AJ threw " obscenity laced tired of the popular TV personality.

AJ had come off as being very close in her character just has she appears on WWE TV but this was not in a good way. Dave Meltzer reports that AJ has a lot of heat and may be facing punishment for her actions. - Luis A

source: Dave Meltzer

Mark and It's still real to her dammit ; )!!!

• Like 1