DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Ugly ass tattoo's haven't kept dudes out of WWE before, and I don't see why AJ can't be called AJ Styles.

Well, unless I didn't use the Trademark Electronic Search System correctly.. the reason why he can't be called AJ Styles is because TNA owns the trademark on that name. So that might be a solid reason.

How is that, he was using that name as a rookie in NWA Wildside. 

I gotta wonder how much raw/unaired footage is in the WWE vault these days? did they wind up acquiring unseen matches with WCW Champion Sid from 1994? or was the unaired footage scrapped and the WWE only got the master tapes of the stuff that aired

Ugly ass tattoo's haven't kept dudes out of WWE before, and I don't see why AJ can't be called AJ Styles.

Well, unless I didn't use the Trademark Electronic Search System correctly.. the reason why he can't be called AJ Styles is because TNA owns the trademark on that name. So that might be a solid reason.

Some stuff copied and pasted from TESS

Owner (REGISTRANT) TNA Entertainment, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY CORPORATION DELAWARE 4100 Spring Valley Road Dallas TEXAS 75244

Other Data The name(s), portrait(s), and/or signature(s) shown in the mark identifies Allen Jones, whose consent(s) to register is submitted.

so.. I don't know how consent would work if he unconsented about 6/7 years after everything was finalized

I gotta wonder how much raw/unaired footage is in the WWE vault these days? did they wind up acquiring unseen matches with WCW Champion Sid from 1994? or was the unaired footage scrapped and the WWE only got the master tapes of the stuff that aired

Owner (REGISTRANT) TNA Entertainment, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY CORPORATION DELAWARE 4100 Spring Valley Road Dallas TEXAS 75244

Other Data The name(s), portrait(s), and/or signature(s) shown in the mark identifies Allen Jones, whose consent(s) to register is submitted.

so.. I don't know how consent would work if he unconsented about 6/7 years after everything was finalized

Well, worst case scenario, He's AJ Stylez.

So a certain tape dealer whose name is frowned upon in these parts just released the long lost final ECW Arena show. Was actually a pretty good show, especially when you consider the promotion was just weeks from dying. One last Unholy Alliance vs. FBI match made my day, as did a sweet Jerry Lynn vs. Spike Dudley match. I'm surprised WWE didn't release this, as I would think"the lost ECW Arena show" would've done some business.

Supposedly Dreamer found a bunch of professionally shot tapes in his basement or something like that. I would assume WWE should have the rights to them, but who knows.

I thought I read somewhere that Punk took a gamble, and let WWE trademark his name.

I'm not sure that's much of a gamble since he's probably done wrestling when his WWE career is up.

But if he wanted to use the name for other projects/etc. when he's retired, he'll still have to be in the company in some capacity. You'll notice Austin doesn't refer to himself as Stone Cold on his podcast.

I thought I read somewhere that Punk took a gamble, and let WWE trademark his name.

I'm not sure that's much of a gamble since he's probably done wrestling when his WWE career is up.

Why are you arguing this? Of course it was a huge gamble. What if he was released right after that really bad match he had when he was called up with Mickie James? I'm quite sure he wasn't planning to retire if that had happened during that time period.

Well, worst case scenario, He's AJ Stylez.

What is Stylish Al doing in the Raw Zone?

He can change his name to Allen Jones Styles and use "A. J. Styles" to avoid the trademark, right? a bit different from what Rick Rude or the Warrior did, but..

This is also one of those times where I'm bummed it isn't the late 80s or early 90s, because people would be saying the first Sin Cara died in some kind of freak accident.

He went back to his home planet. (Note: Sin Cara died on the way back to his home planet.)

• Like 1

It's a moot point because there's no way AJ gets signed. They're not hiring a guy in his mid-30s that can't cut a promo and hasn't drawn money for anyone more relevant than TNA.

According to Meltzer on the Monday WO podcast, WWE already made AJ an offer (apparently a low one), and Styles turned it down.  It's not a completely moot point. 

Here's an interesting story that has been making the rounds:

Former Professional Wrestler Says He Was Banned From Walmart For Life Due To Ad Matching

Gawker.com and numerous media outlets are running a story on Joe Cantrell, an Arizona-based retired professional wrestler, being banned for life from Walmart.

Cantrell, who wrestled for eight years and retired due to injury, often sifts through circulars to find the biggest discounts before heading to the big-box store. According to Walmart.com, they match the lowest advertised price on identical products, but when Cantrell tried doing so last week at a Walmart in San Tan Valley, Arizona, he was placed in handcuffs. After a store employee told him it wasn’t allowed, he complained to management.

“When I left, he turned around and called the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office and said he felt intimidated and threatened. I was upset but never once did I say anything to the gentleman,” Cantrell said of the incident.

Cantrell said when he returned to Walmart four days later, three officers handcuffed him, gave him a court summons and a notice banning him from any Walmart in the world for life.

“I felt shamed. I felt like I was the bad guy. And I know I’m not a bad guy,” said Cantrell.

The police department apparently agreed as they eventually let Cantrell go. However, he’s facing charges of threatening, intimidation and disorderly conduct, and is still banned from Walmart for life.

Walmart released the following statement to ABC15.com on Tuesday concerning the ordeal: “The safety of our associates and customers is our top priority, and we find threats of violence unacceptable. This customer threatened our associate with bodily harm. Out of abundance of caution, local law enforcement was contacted. Due to continuous threats of violence, the customer is no longer welcome at the store.” Cantrell, who was a professional wrestler for eight years, has suffered a series of injuries, forcing him into early retirement from the sport.

“Sorry I get a little emotional about this because I’m disabled,” he told ABC 15. “I felt shamed. I felt like I was the bad guy. And I know I’m not a bad guy.”

Now that other news outlets have the original police report, it turns out that the man wasn’t banned from Walmart for price-matching. He was banned for threatening the physical safety of Walmart employees. “Never once did I say anything to the gentleman,” he had told the TV reporters. According to the police report, the shopper did say a few things to the gentleman. Specifically, “I’m going to mess this mother f_ _ _ker up,” referring to the cashier, threatening to wait in the parking lot to “do [the cashier] in” and to “beat his ass.”

Has anyone actually heard of or seen this guy wrestle before?

joe-cantrell.jpg

Found this on the Torch so apply whatever skepticism you want

PWTorch reader Ozz from Michigan asks: Knowing that WWE likes to rename newcomers for trademarking purposes, how did C.M. Punk manage to stay C.M. Punk when he arrived in the company a few years back?

PWTorch columnist Pat McNeill replies: C.M. Punk debuted on the ECW brand in June 2006. At the time, Paul Heyman was the head writer for ECW, and he convinced WWE management to let Punk keep his indy name, because that's what would have happened in the original ECW. At that point, Extreme Championship Wrestling was WWE's third brand, and it wasn't considered a big deal.

The other reason WWE went along with the decision is because Punk gave them permission to trademark the C.M. Punk name. WWE owns two live trademarks on C.M. Punk, one for his character, and one for his merchandise. The first trademark states "The name "C.M. Punk" identifies Phillip Jack Brooks, a living individual whose consent is of record." This means Punk negotiated the trademark deal as part of his contract with WWE. I also believe it means the current Punk (Phil Brooks) is the only person allowed to use that name. But I'm not a trademark lawyer.

People. The problem with the tattoo isn't that it's ugly, it's that they have a prominent female wrestler named AJ. Same reason he wouldn't be able to keep his name. They changed Regal and Helms' very common first names - there's no way in hell they'd have two AJ's running around. They're not signing him anyway, so it's a moot point, but still.

• Like 1

Fantasy Booking Warning:

Orton unifies the two titles this Sunday.  Monday's Raw opens with Orton and the Authority in the ring claiming there is only one true champion, champion of champions, when unfamiliar music hits.  AJ Styles walks down to the ring, grabs the microphone from Stephanie, and proclaims that are still two World Champions.  He raises his TNA title triumphantly.  The Authority and Orton stare at him in silence momentarily before breaking into a fit of laughter.  Styles lowers his head in shame and walks to the back...never to be heard from again.

• Like 6

It's a moot point because there's no way AJ gets signed. They're not hiring a guy in his mid-30s that can't cut a promo and hasn't drawn money for anyone more relevant than TNA.

According to Meltzer on the Monday WO podcast, WWE already made AJ an offer (apparently a low one), and Styles turned it down.  It's not a completely moot point. 

Recently?  Or 10+ years ago?  Supposedly, the WWE offered AJ a contract sometime around his NWA Wildside/WCW/early ROH days (Wikipedia says it was 2002), and he turned it down because the money wasn't good. 

Just wondering if the Torch is referring to that or if the company has made him an offer recently.

In any case, I don't really see him getting a run with the WWE at this point. 

Sucks for him if he signed the rights to the name "AJ Styles" over to TNA.  Maybe he can grow a wooly beard and join ROH as AJ Briscoe, a long lost Briscoe cousin who is the black sheep of the family on account of his city ways (reading and writing, maybe?). 

Recently?  Or 10+ years ago?  Supposedly, the WWE offered AJ a contract sometime around his NWA Wildside/WCW/early ROH days (Wikipedia says it was 2002), and he turned it down because the money wasn't good. 

Just wondering if the Torch is referring to that or if the company has made him an offer recently.

In any case, I don't really see him getting a run with the WWE at this point. 

Sucks for him if he signed the rights to the name "AJ Styles" over to TNA.  Maybe he can grow a wooly beard and join ROH as AJ Briscoe, a long lost Briscoe cousin who is the black sheep of the family on account of his city ways (reading and writing, maybe?). 

... but not 'rithmetic, I noticed ...

I have no knowledge of lucha, but does anyone do a gimmick where in costume and name, they're playing a tribute to retired, popular wrestlers? That would actually be kinda cool for the WWE to do. I would buy a Hot Rod lucha mask.

I don't know lucha either, but in Japan Ebessan did loads of tribute gimmicks.  Ebesstan Hansen was brilliant.  WWE should absolutely use that idea, it would a great way of using someone like Zack Ryder.