DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

I don't get why you guys are so eager to see the best heel faction the WWE has had in years get broken up.  The Shield has a lot of mileage left in them.  I want to keep Roman Reigns as the badguy badass, instead of turning him into the new Smilin' Sheamus.  Which you KNOW is how it ends up.

• Like 1

I don't get why you guys are so eager to see the best heel faction the WWE has had in years get broken up.  The Shield has a lot of mileage left in them.  I want to keep Roman Reigns as the badguy badass, instead of turning him into the new Smilin' Sheamus.  Which you KNOW is how it ends up.

His face character will probably incorporate the phrase "Do as the Roman does" and then he will give tips on how to groom your beard or something.

His face character will probably incorporate the phrase "Do as the Roman does" and then he will give tips on how to groom your beard or something.

Maybe he'll go with a full on Roman gimmick by wearing a toga and talking about how the Senate has too much power.

You joke, but you know that Cole will incorporate that into his commentary anytime Roman does something anti-hero-ish.

JBL: He just hit John Cena with a spear, Mygul! I thought they were on the same side.

Cole: Well Roman does as Roman does.

It depends if WWE can get a fresh batch of guys to work against them once the current crop runs its course. The Christian stuff is an easy choice and he'd be awesome plugged into those crazy 6 mans but Rey coming back is the last babyface they have left who you could put them against, right? Actually, 3 months of Mark Henry, Rey Mysterio and Christian vs. The Shield sounds pretty great to me. When is Evan Bourne back? He and Rollins need to have some kind of bump off. They can keep putting different guys in the Sin Cara mask and have Reigns kill him off every week. Stylish Alan could attempt to give Seth Rollins a hairstyle befitting of someone over the age of 16. Fuck it, keep them together forever.

Well, the biggest differences between the Rock and Austin, for me anyway, was The Rock was clearly this handsome, arrogant, and athletic guy and Austin was the guy every normal person wished he could be: assertive, his own man, and just cool. Punk, I guess, is his own man, and some people think he is cool, and if he isn't some arrogant prick, I am not living in Arizona as a type this.

The nerd vs popular kid thing doesn't really tell a good story if the nerd is the antagonizing one. There isn't much Punk can do that doesn't make him sound whiny and bitter about shit.

You need to stop projecting yoru own feelings about Punk onto other people, as it is clear that he's one of the most popular guys in wrestling, and has been for the last half decade or so. You might think that he is a whiny asshole who relies too much on shooty comments, and you might be right about that, but the perception a whole bunch of people have of him is obviously very different. People can obviously relate to him in a very real, non-manufactured way, and it's pretty clear why that is.

How is he not a whiny asshole? If you aren't a Punk fan, you don't get why some many people buy into his act. He isn't likeable and always seems so pissed off. Punk is wrestling popular, but I damn sure wouldn't send him out to try to make new fans. I know the Miz gets a lot of crap, but he is at least a guy the WWE can trust to be on a morning show and get the job done. That is where I was getting at.

But then again, if I was content with have quite a large fanbase that think I cannot do any wrong, I wouldn't give a shit about trying to grow it either. I know devout Muslims that doubt their faith more than Punk's worshippers doubt Punk.

How is he not a whiny asshole? If you aren't a Punk fan, you don't get why some many people buy into his act. He isn't likeable and always seems so pissed off. Punk is wrestling popular, but I damn sure wouldn't send him out to try to make new fans. I know the Miz gets a lot of crap, but he is at least a guy the WWE can trust to be on a morning show and get the job done. That is where I was getting at.

But then again, if I was content with have quite a large fanbase that think I cannot do any wrong, I wouldn't give a shit about trying to grow it either. I know devout Muslims that doubt their faith more than Punk's worshippers doubt Punk.

I thought we couldn't troll hard anymore? If that's not the case, then I'm going to bring up merch again.

I think WWE would have been better off if they never signed Luger and instead had Krush bodyslam Yokozuna on the aircraft carrier.

One of my favorite parts of Luger's book was his story about how he almost slipped bodyslamming Yokozuna due to the flashy cowboy boots he was wearing.  That would've been great to see as well.

I know Luger said he was never comfortable with the All American gimmick. That it never felt right for the Lex Luger character. I think it hurt that he was such a big start before getting to the WWF. Face or heel, Lex was never a flag waver. He fought for Lex Luger and if you were into that great, but if not he did not need you. 

Punk is wrestling popular

This is code for the actual paying customers like him and will give him money. He is one of the only guys since Cena that can move the needle. 

Which people ignore because he did not meet some ridiculous expectation they set up. 

I'm not a Punk super fan or anything. But this is like hearing a Fundamentalist debate with a militant atheist about religion. 

• Like 1

Plain ol' Crush was great, Heel Crush in the Savage feud was great.  That 4-5 month period where he was Kona Crush and he suddenly had an over-the-top island accent and only talked about Hawaii (unless he was mentioning his clown dad) was pretty terrible.

He was actually pretty over in mid-late 92 before they really pushed the accent and then had Doink destroy him. If they had let him mow through a bunch of guys in the rumble instead, who knows what would have happened.

I'm not a Punk super fan or anything. But this is like hearing a Fundamentalist debate with a militant atheist about religion. 

It's like dealing with a bunch of comic fans who only want to talk about the Avengers movie because it makes them feel like they shouldn't be embarrassed for the first time in years. 

It's like dealing with a bunch of comic fans who only want to talk about the Avengers movie because it makes them feel like they shouldn't be embarrassed for the first time in years.

So, CM Punk is the guy who draws back the fans who distanced themselves from wrestling because they were emotionally invested in Chris Benoit as the guy they could point to as an artist rather than an embarrassment?