DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Here's how Austin/Punk works --

"You're a dumb drunk moron and these fans are morons for thinking you're anything special. You're an old man. I'm the new rebel and I don't need to drink to prove my manhood."

STUNNER

There you have the WrestleMania build for that from there. Smarmy, straightedge Punk vs. Austin.

• Like 1

I know it will shock some people on the interwebs, but CM Punk is a dick. Not matter what role they will give him, he can't be arsed to take the effort to get his head out of his ass. THAT is why he never main event'd shit during that epoch reign. THAT is why he will never reach a certain point of popularity or talent.

If Bret screwed Bret, then Punk held Punk down.

• Like 2

Was thinking about this the other day.

Has anyone ever blocked the kick-wham-aspect to the Stunner? Seemingly everyone is unaware that this is what will happen despite him doing it every week for about 10 years. Even during his last heel run, I don't think anyone ever really out smarted him with that.

Have Austin run down and save Punk from an attack from the Shield or the Wyatts or something (that pop would be insane), then after the match, have Punk decline to partake in the Stone Cold beer bash, sees the kick to the gut coming. GTS. End of RAW.

It's consistent with Punk being this wily smarter than your average wrestler type, and then you work the story around no-one ever having done that to Austin, has he finally met his match, is he past it? etc..

• Like 2

I can't think of one guy I'd would want to see vs Austin at this point. Unless they seat Reigns down and make him be Taker for a couple of months. Maybe idk

But then again, I think you folk are seriously overestimating Austin's possible reaction.

If I was booking Austin I'd do a greatest hits run through in the build up. Get Vince in (and out) nice and early, a beer truck, stunnering a dozen people throughout the arena like the Alliance, getting arrested, sneaking into the arena with another babyface, all the classics. The match would be secondary to the build up for me.

THAT is why he never main event'd shit during that epoch reign.

The reason is because John Cena was healthy. The same reason Hulk Hogan was main eventing when Randy Savage and Warrior were champion. 

THAT is why he will never reach a certain point of popularity or talent.

Main eventing two pay per views with Rock, working Mania against Undertaker and being champion for a year. In addition to being the most popular wrestler on the roster.  Clearly an underachiever. 

• Like 2

I hope WWE signs AJ Styles even if it's just to be a jobber. He deserves better than what TNA gave him all these years.

Plus we would have two AJ's and constant confusion over which one we're talking about.

They could sign him and then go the Danielson route and change his name to Stylish Alan. Tell me you wouldn't want to see him work whatever that gimmick would be.

• Like 8

Was thinking about this the other day.

Has anyone ever blocked the kick-wham-aspect to the Stunner? Seemingly everyone is unaware that this is what will happen despite him doing it every week for about 10 years. Even during his last heel run, I don't think anyone ever really out smarted him with that.

Have Austin run down and save Punk from an attack from the Shield or the Wyatts or something (that pop would be insane), then after the match, have Punk decline to partake in the Stone Cold beer bash, sees the kick to the gut coming. GTS. End of RAW.

It's consistent with Punk being this wily smarter than your average wrestler type, and then you work the story around no-one ever having done that to Austin, has he finally met his match, is he past it? etc..

Angle used to block it and reverse it into an ankle lock.

• Like 1

Well, the biggest differences between the Rock and Austin, for me anyway, was The Rock was clearly this handsome, arrogant, and athletic guy and Austin was the guy every normal person wished he could be: assertive, his own man, and just cool. Punk, I guess, is his own man, and some people think he is cool, and if he isn't some arrogant prick, I am not living in Arizona as a type this.

The nerd vs popular kid thing doesn't really tell a good story if the nerd is the antagonizing one. There isn't much Punk can do that doesn't make him sound whiny and bitter about shit.

You need to stop projecting yoru own feelings about Punk onto other people, as it is clear that he's one of the most popular guys in wrestling, and has been for the last half decade or so. You might think that he is a whiny asshole who relies too much on shooty comments, and you might be right about that, but the perception a whole bunch of people have of him is obviously very different. People can obviously relate to him in a very real, non-manufactured way, and it's pretty clear why that is.

• Like 6

I read today that the penciled-in double main event for Wrestlemania XXX as of now is Brock Lesnar Vs. The Undertaker & John Cena Vs. Triple H.

I have no desire to see either of those matches. They both feel like old hat, featuring stars of the past & neither helps the company the day after the show is over. Just seems so counter-productive to me, so I hope it doesn't come to fruition.

Honestly, at this point, I feel like the only match WWE has left is Undisputed Champion John Cena Vs. The Undertaker and his Wrestlemania Streak. THAT would sell the damn show & feels like a big enough of a match for the 30th 'Mania.

It would also add some intrigue to the match. John Cena feels like he always wins & overcomes all odds. The Undertaker literally never loses at Wrestlemania. If John Cena is the champion, people will think that Undertaker is too old & banged up to be the Champion again (as he pretty much just comes back for Mania at this point) so he won't win, but John Cena ending the Streak probably shouldn't happen either. You can't do a countout/fuck finish in the main event of Wrestlemania. I guess you could have 'Taker win then drop the belt later at the next PPV or whatever but I still feel like it's the biggest match they have at this point.

I'm interested in The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar as I still think Lesnar's best match was against Undertaker in the Hell in a Cell at No Mercy 2002. I've liked all their matches. It wouldn't be my first choice, as people know I've wanted The Undertaker vs. John Cena at a WrestleMania for a long time. John Cena vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 22 is an underrated match for both but I don't want to see it at WrestleMania XXX.

As much as I'd like to see A.J. in WWE, I don't think it's too likely and don't think he'd make that big of an impact if it happened.  He's in his mid-30s and they don't seem too big on hiring people above a certain age range.  He's not the best talker in the world; on top of that, they have plenty of "workrate" high-flyers already under contract.

Well, the biggest differences between the Rock and Austin, for me anyway, was The Rock was clearly this handsome, arrogant, and athletic guy and Austin was the guy every normal person wished he could be: assertive, his own man, and just cool. Punk, I guess, is his own man, and some people think he is cool, and if he isn't some arrogant prick, I am not living in Arizona as a type this.

The nerd vs popular kid thing doesn't really tell a good story if the nerd is the antagonizing one. There isn't much Punk can do that doesn't make him sound whiny and bitter about shit.

You need to stop projecting yoru own feelings about Punk onto other people, as it is clear that he's one of the most popular guys in wrestling, and has been for the last half decade or so. You might think that he is a whiny asshole who relies too much on shooty comments, and you might be right about that, but the perception a whole bunch of people have of him is obviously very different. People can obviously relate to him in a very real, non-manufactured way, and it's pretty clear why that is.

Just because a guy is a multi time world champion, beaten John Cena, worked two main events with the Rock, worked Wrestlemania against the Undertaker, sells a ton of merchandise and is the most popular wrestler at live events does not mean he is successful. 

• Like 5

I hope WWE signs AJ Styles even if it's just to be a jobber. He deserves better than what TNA gave him all these years.

Plus we would have two AJ's and constant confusion over which one we're talking about.

They could sign him and then go the Danielson route and change his name to Stylish Alan. Tell me you wouldn't want to see him work whatever that gimmick would be.

I'd want to see Stylish Alan be based on Ben Affleck's character from Mallrats, Shannon Hamilton. The hilarity that would ensue from Alan trying to penetrate the divas in a very uncomfortable position; like the back of a Volkswagon.

• Like 2

Going back to countering the Stunner.  As someone mentioned, Angle did it a couple of times, but let's not pretend like WWE will every acknowledge it if that were the route they took.  This is a company that is currently trying to rewrite it's title history to fit a storyline.