DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Just curious, what were the original plans for Wrestlemania 13? It wasn't supposed to be Sid-Taker was it, HBK got hurt and they had to switch guys around right? Have any other Wrestlemanias had to get their cards switched around only a few months prior to the show?

To the best of my recollection, the plan was for HBK to return the job to Bret.

I have less than zero interest in Austin-Punk. To be honest, I don't really have a desire to see Austin wrestle anyone currently on the roster other than John Cena, which they would never do since Cena would get booed out of the building for sure. 

I have less than zero interest in Austin-Punk. To be honest, I don't really have a desire to see Austin wrestle anyone currently on the roster other than John Cena, which they would never do since Cena would get booed out of the building for sure.

That would be the match for me. I'd still rather Cena lost. Can it be corporate stooge Cena?

So AJ Styles is leaving TNA supposedly. Seems rather short sighted by them, if they can't keep AJ who will they try to keep?

Punk-Austin probably would of been more interesting two years ago but WWE is never one to do things right. They wanted Rock or Austin vs. HHH and both fell through. Neither were remotely interesting unless you are some uber-Attitude era fan.

I also have to mention that if they really are planning to bring back Goldberg, I might be the only person that wants to see Goldberg/Undertaker. Instead of a thirty-minute WWE-epic-style match, I want like an eight minute match with powerbombs and Jackhammers and tombstones all over the place. 

I've been confused about the hysteria over the "need" for a Sting vs Taker match. But the Austin vs Punk thing tops that.

Do people really want Punk to be even more overexposed as just a regular mid-card talent that gets way too much TV time? I mean, if that was remotely possible at this point.

• Like 2

Just curious, what were the original plans for Wrestlemania 13? It wasn't supposed to be Sid-Taker was it, HBK got hurt and they had to switch guys around right? Have any other Wrestlemanias had to get their cards switched around only a few months prior to the show?

To the best of my recollection, the plan was for HBK to return the job to Bret.

Both their shoot interviews talked about how they planned this prosthetic boot for Shawn to wear, and Bret would "break" Shawn's ankle with the ankle lock and put him out.

No idea what Austin does if that ended up happening

Literally anything I can think of with Austin is better than Austin/Punk.

- Ryback jobs until the Rumble, says the next year will be the year of Ryback. SMASH Austin calls him a mealy mouthed sumbitch, Stunners him. He stunners him every week for 3 months. Wins inside 3 minutes at Mania.

- Austin is a guest host. The Shield come down. Austin beats them all up for three months, wins inside three minutes at Mania.

- Mark Henry gets attacked by the Wyatts. The next week they circle the ring about to attack him. Henry pulls out his phone and dials 316. Austin drives down and beats them all up. Henry and Austin win inside three minutes at Mania.

- Triple H blah blah blah, Austin comes down and Stunners him, wins inside three minutes at Mania

• Like 1

So AJ Styles is leaving TNA supposedly. Seems rather short sighted by them, if they can't keep AJ who will they try to keep?

Punk-Austin probably would of been more interesting two years ago but WWE is never one to do things right. They wanted Rock or Austin vs. HHH and both fell through. Neither were remotely interesting unless you are some uber-Attitude era fan.

I'd be more down for Rock/Triple H in theory, although it would be awful.  Just because that feud so defined Rock's career and the first half of Triple H's.

I'd pay good money to see Punk vs. Austin, personally.

Austin/Punk COULD be good, but I already know how this goes.  Punk owns him on the mic and brings up real shit, people bitch about that.  Austin then beats Punk up for a month, people bitch about that.  Pretty much everything the Rock has done in the last 2 years, except it's fun seeing him get owned on the mic.  No one wants to see that happen to Austin.

Putting part timers over on guys that are supposed to be carrying the company is completely backwards and asinine, though.  Be it Rock, Austin or Triple H.  It's just completely counter-productive.  I had to listen to people for over a year talk about how having Rock around was going to be great for business, and I wasn't seeing the big picture.  The only people it helped were Rock and Cena, and the viewership went right back down when Rock was over.  What did they have to show for it?  Same thing with Austin.  You have him show up and beat Punk or whoever, what do you have to show for it?  You got a big Mania buyrate, good job, but in the longterm, you've done more harm than good.

Austin/Punk COULD be good, but I already know how this goes.  Punk owns him on the mic and brings up real shit, people bitch about that.  Austin then beats Punk up for a month, people bitch about that.  Pretty much everything the Rock has done in the last 2 years, except it's fun seeing him get owned on the mic.  No one wants to see that happen to Austin.

Putting part timers over on guys that are supposed to be carrying the company is completely backwards and asinine, though.  Be it Rock, Austin or Triple H.  It's just completely counter-productive.  I had to listen to people for over a year talk about how having Rock around was going to be great for business, and I wasn't seeing the big picture.  The only people it helped were Rock and Cena, and the viewership went right back down when Rock was over.  What did they have to show for it?  Same thing with Austin.  You have him show up and beat Punk or whoever, what do you have to show for it?  You got a big Mania buyrate, good job, but in the longterm, you've done more harm than good.

Austin wouldn't get owned by Punk unless he went shooty, and if he went shooty it would be fucking dogshit.

Austin wouldn't get owned by Punk unless he went shooty, and if he went shooty it would be fucking dogshit.

You already know he's going to go shooty.  In all fairness, he owned Rock without doing that, but that's easy to do these days.

One mistake WWE made was that if they'd planned on booking Rock/Cena two years in a row, they should have had Cena win the first one. First, it wouldn't have made it obvious to everyone and their mother that Rock would get his win back the second time around, because as a part-timer, it'd be less certain that they want to put him over their top guy, especially with the belt on the line, and second, because it would have made Punk vs Rock a better story, because it'd be his last step before trying for redemption against Cena: Beating the guy who's held the championship for a year, who Cena hadn't been able to take the belt off of.