DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Speaking of "newz" lines, when I lived in San Antonio in the mid-'90s, there was a free phone service that was promoted and maybe run by the San Antonio Express News that offered everything from recipes to news to games. You would call in and then choose a four-digit extension, and that extension would connect you to a pre-recorded bit of news/game/etc. I vividly remember that there were four Choose Your Own Adventure-style games with three choices and only one way to win. One was called Wizard's World, there was another one set in space, and there might have been a cop/detective one. It updated every Sunday, so you could get new games and news weekly just by calling this number.

Anyway, this long bit of text is to say that this service also had pro wrestling news and rumors, and it was how I knew about Hall and Nash leaving for WCW months before it happened, and even that Hall was suspended for a marijuana test as a cover for Vince McMahon being upset enough that he wanted to keep Hall from a WrestleMania payday. This stuff was pretty surprising for a thirteen-year-old kid at the time. Does anyone who lived in the area remember this service and know who was the person/organization giving those rumors/news bits?

JCTN had one of these as well.

The "reporter's" name was something like Cody Boink/Boyd or something entirely different. There'd often be some real newsbit that would pan out as truth, but then there was the occasional wayward misfire, like a verification off of a Schiavone one-off on-air comment that WCW was going to implement a martial arts title (I personally used to hope that Schiavone was speaking mad truisms when he once claimed that WCW was going to make a hardcore title that would have fold-out gimmicks, like a Swiss army knife).

Yes, that was him!  Cody Boyd! 

Ted Turner did it, obviously.

Aided by Lex Luger and Ole Anderson.

Actually, it was Castro, Lyndon Johnson, Hulk Hogan, the FBI, the CIA, the Irish mafia and Ted Turner. 

(Russo was booking)

Don't forget the reverse vampires.

Went to FWE show with Pete. Highlight of the night was Pete trying in vain to buy a Colt Cabana shirt during the show. That and the 10 person elimination match. One thing that bugged me was the smarks shitting on John Hennigan and Ted Dibiase soley because they were ex WWE guys. If the match sucks that's one thing but these were matches that if random indie guy were doing them the crowd would be much more positive towards. Best part is that the "Fuck WWE" people will be the first to buy tixs when they come to town.

Santa Claus, Indiana is where Holiday World amusement park is & I have been through there several times. Having to drive passed it to get to a friends place. Santa Clarita is where my now ex-girlfriend lives. (Well, Canyon Country, CA).

What are the fucking odds those two towns that I'm aware of come up on a pro-wrestling message forum that I post on? :blink:

The feels. :(

Anyway, watched NXT again tonight. Was enjoyable again. That show is quickly becoming my favorite wrestling problem. This Monday RAW is the shitty Slammy show & Monday Night Football is Dallas @ Chicago. *sigh* I might not turn my television on at all. Michael Cole shilling the WWE App for three hours or Cris Collinsworth verbally blowing Tony Romo for three hours?

Santa Claus, Indiana is where Holiday World amusement park is & I have been through there several times. Having to drive passed it to get to a friends place. Santa Clarita is where my now ex-girlfriend lives. (Well, Canyon Country, CA).

What are the fucking odds those two towns that I'm aware of come up on a pro-wrestling message forum that I post on? :blink:

The feels. :(

Anyway, watched NXT again tonight. Was enjoyable again. That show is quickly becoming my favorite wrestling problem. This Monday RAW is the shitty Slammy show & Monday Night Football is Dallas @ Chicago. *sigh* I might not turn my television on at all. Michael Cole shilling the WWE App for three hours or Cris Collinsworth verbally blowing Tony Romo for three hours?

Collinsworth is Sunday night isn't he? Gruden is your huckleberry.

• Like 1

Holy crap how did Holiday World get brought up in this thread? I was just talking about that place the other night with a parent at a birthday party, who happened to work there back when it was Santa Claus Land. Sadly it wasn't Jay Cutler. I've been there a billion times. THANK YOU FOR RIDING THE RAVEN.

Anyway.... wrestling. Is there a better Val Venis match than the one with Rikishi in the cage?

Holy crap how did Holiday World get brought up in this thread? I was just talking about that place the other night with a parent at a birthday party, who happened to work there back when it was Santa Claus Land. Sadly it wasn't Jay Cutler. I've been there a billion times. THANK YOU FOR RIDING THE RAVEN.

Anyway.... wrestling. Is there a better Val Venis match than the one with Rikishi in the cage?

Not to my knowledge.

I also went to Holiday World/Santa Claus Land in Santa Claus, IN when I was a kid. Nothing better than a Halloween themed section in an amusement park. One of my best friends and former bandmates just moved to Santa Clara, CA as well so this thread is tripping me out. 

Speaking of tripping! This is hilarious: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/436889-unusual-live-report-from-last-nights-wwe-live-event-in-vancouver-fan-attends-show-on-drugs-full-story-included

There's like a million guys in the last segments of Raw these days and the only people with any real focus or importance is Mr. and Mrs. HHH. The whole damn Raw  shows these days feel like a mid-carder show. How is that not giving a shit about the mid card?

Speaking of "newz" lines, when I lived in San Antonio in the mid-'90s, there was a free phone service that was promoted and maybe run by the San Antonio Express News that offered everything from recipes to news to games. You would call in and then choose a four-digit extension, and that extension would connect you to a pre-recorded bit of news/game/etc. I vividly remember that there were four Choose Your Own Adventure-style games with three choices and only one way to win. One was called Wizard's World, there was another one set in space, and there might have been a cop/detective one. It updated every Sunday, so you could get new games and news weekly just by calling this number.

Anyway, this long bit of text is to say that this service also had pro wrestling news and rumors, and it was how I knew about Hall and Nash leaving for WCW months before it happened, and even that Hall was suspended for a marijuana test as a cover for Vince McMahon being upset enough that he wanted to keep Hall from a WrestleMania payday. This stuff was pretty surprising for a thirteen-year-old kid at the time. Does anyone who lived in the area remember this service and know who was the person/organization giving those rumors/news bits?

JCTN had one of these as well.

The "reporter's" name was something like Cody Boink/Boyd or something entirely different. There'd often be some real newsbit that would pan out as truth, but then there was the occasional wayward misfire, like a verification off of a Schiavone one-off on-air comment that WCW was going to implement a martial arts title (I personally used to hope that Schiavone was speaking mad truisms when he once claimed that WCW was going to make a hardcore title that would have fold-out gimmicks, like a Swiss army knife).

Yes, that was him!  Cody Boyd! 

Yep! Thanks, guys. He was fairly accurate, as Nate points out, with the occasional Vic Venom-like rumor that didn't pan out.