DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Speaking of "newz" lines, when I lived in San Antonio in the mid-'90s, there was a free phone service that was promoted and maybe run by the San Antonio Express News that offered everything from recipes to news to games. You would call in and then choose a four-digit extension, and that extension would connect you to a pre-recorded bit of news/game/etc. I vividly remember that there were four Choose Your Own Adventure-style games with three choices and only one way to win. One was called Wizard's World, there was another one set in space, and there might have been a cop/detective one. It updated every Sunday, so you could get new games and news weekly just by calling this number.

Anyway, this long bit of text is to say that this service also had pro wrestling news and rumors, and it was how I knew about Hall and Nash leaving for WCW months before it happened, and even that Hall was suspended for a marijuana test as a cover for Vince McMahon being upset enough that he wanted to keep Hall from a WrestleMania payday. This stuff was pretty surprising for a thirteen-year-old kid at the time. Does anyone who lived in the area remember this service and know who was the person/organization giving those rumors/news bits? 

Speaking of "newz" lines, when I lived in San Antonio in the mid-'90s, there was a free phone service that was promoted and maybe run by the San Antonio Express News that offered everything from recipes to news to games. You would call in and then choose a four-digit extension, and that extension would connect you to a pre-recorded bit of news/game/etc. I vividly remember that there were four Choose Your Own Adventure-style games with three choices and only one way to win. One was called Wizard's World, there was another one set in space, and there might have been a cop/detective one. It updated every Sunday, so you could get new games and news weekly just by calling this number.

Anyway, this long bit of text is to say that this service also had pro wrestling news and rumors, and it was how I knew about Hall and Nash leaving for WCW months before it happened, and even that Hall was suspended for a marijuana test as a cover for Vince McMahon being upset enough that he wanted to keep Hall from a WrestleMania payday. This stuff was pretty surprising for a thirteen-year-old kid at the time. Does anyone who lived in the area remember this service and know who was the person/organization giving those rumors/news bits? 

I had something extremely similar to that around the same time out in eastern NC.  Might have been the same service, who know?

Houston had one of those as well. I remember ours was run as a collaboration between the Houston Chronicle and one of our local television stations.

loved Gene's bit of WCW doing something that will make "the competition" finally crumble. But it won't be on TV. what?

I liked #6, the rumor so hot that WCW execs wouldn't let him talk about it on the air.  But they would let him talk about it on the company-run hotline, which was shilled on the company's television shows. 

Alrighty then. 

loved Gene's bit of WCW doing something that will make "the competition" finally crumble. But it won't be on TV. what?

I liked #6, the rumor so hot that WCW execs wouldn't let him talk about it on the air.  But they would let him talk about it on the company-run hotline, which was shilled on the company's television shows. 

Alrighty then. 

IT'S ANYTHING GOES, DUDE

I had something extremely similar to that around the same time out in eastern NC. Might have been the same service, who know?

Same thing in Gastonia, NC.

So Wrestlemania 31 will be held in Santa Clarita, CA. Or will WWE position it as Wrestlemania from the Bay Area?

I can see them go with San Jose.

SAP Center seats less than 20K. They're going to host it in the 49ers new stadium which'll seat in the 70K range.

So Wrestlemania 31 will be held in Santa Clarita, CA. Or will WWE position it as Wrestlemania from the Bay Area?

SAP Center seats less than 20K. They're going to host it in the 49ers new stadium which'll seat in the 70K range.

No I ment they'll end up calling the host city San Jose. Since WWE has a penchant for not announcing the name of the city when the city is a one horse town like Santa Clara.

JCTN had one of these as well.

The "reporter's" name was something like Cody Boink/Boyd or something entirely different. There'd often be some real newsbit that would pan out as truth, but then there was the occasional wayward misfire, like a verification off of a Schiavone one-off on-air comment that WCW was going to implement a martial arts title (I personally used to hope that Schiavone was speaking mad truisms when he once claimed that WCW was going to make a hardcore title that would have fold-out gimmicks, like a Swiss army knife).

No I ment they'll end up calling the host city San Jose. Since WWE has a penchant for not announcing the name of the city when the city is a one horse town like Santa Clara.

Yeah it's like how every show at the Rosemont/All State Horizon is billed from Chicago. Hell, look at this past years Wrestlemania. It was everything New York...just in New Jersey.

I guess if the new Niner's stadium gets WM, we can expect a full mock up of San Francisco complete with a Golden Gate Bridge for the stage. After they kept blowing up the Brooklyn Bridge at WM 29, it's only fair if they do it to another city.

Does anyone remember a Raw segment where Val Venus gave a promo on another wrestler about that guy marrying his sister? I remember it happened and then was never mentioned again.

It was Edge after facing Val, and it was goofy because Edge was like "You were the better man, but you won't be the best man... because that will be Christian". And it was because Edge married Val's sister IRL.

If I remember correctly, after the Edge/Lita/Hardy story first started breaking, there was a Venis/Edge match on Raw, and while they didn't mention it at all it definitely gave it another dimension.