DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Yeah, I know, that's the big problem.

That was the Captain Lou Albano guy's hyooge problem. I kept thinking "what if this is really him? Guy's at the twilight of his life and he might get a bad impression when he's a friggin' entertainment icon."

Yeah, I know, that's the big problem.

That was the Captain Lou Albano guy's hyooge problem. I kept thinking "what if this is really him? Guy's at the twilight of his life and he might get a bad impression when he's a friggin' entertainment icon."

Anyone who claims to be a pro wres dude should back it up. We have enough gimmick posters as it is.

I will admit I did think of coming to the new board as a Hogan puppet account, popping up randomly and posting in all caps. I figured I'd get bored of it before you guys did.

From Wrestlezone

Justin LaBar's saying it's launching on 2/24/14 as PWInsider reported, online only available on all major connected devices, 24/7 stream plus an on demand library that includes every Raw, Smackdown, and PPV to date at launch. $10/month, you pay $60 up-front at launch for the first 6 months but get WM30 and all subsequent non-WM PPVs as part of the subscription.

And from Meltzer

Price was the same as what I heard, WrestleMania same as what I heard. Only on on-line is a real step down, they'll present it as innovative but that tells me cable industry had no confidence in them at all.

Last year when 18,000 people ordered Mania, their stream crashed.

What if they get 1 million people to order and then it screws up during Mania?

On the flip side, not splitting with cable companies is the same goal UFC has had.

Will also be an interesting test in 2015 when people are used to PPVs for $10 and now have to pay $70 or whatever they charge.

I can see why they're protecting Stephanie on this one.

I actually feel like the Bully Ray post was real, just based on how frustrated he got from everyone's trolling, and how quickly he left.

Also, didn't like, Dave Penzer or Dave Prazak used to come around once in a blue moon?

Dave Prazak was actually a semi-regular poster here at one point back when he was involved with IWA-Mid South. I dunno about Dave Penzer.

Apparently the WWE is going to go with an exclusive online streaming service (like some of us have suggested they do for a while), instead of the 24hr cable channel for the WWE network.

I think it will have a set programming schedule, like any other channel, though. You can just have the option to look up something else.

Apparently the WWE is going to go with an exclusive online streaming service (like some of us have suggested they do for a while), instead of the 24hr cable channel for the WWE network.

I think it will have a set programming schedule, like any other channel, though. You can just have the option to look up something else.

I guess that will be their way of keeping ads.

Really this will be one of those wait, and see type deals for me. Especially since the service will crash a hundred times a day like MLB.TV, and NHL Center Ice did in it's first few years when they started offering it to PS3, and 360 owners.

Scott Norton turned up on that one DVDVR spin-off board I posted at for a while.  He was a cool dude.  Then people decided to troll him so he basically said "Ah, this is not for me." and left.

As a huge Norton mark, this pissed me off to no end.

I'd prefer a streaming version of the network over a channel, so this is good in my books. Hope they have all the classics on demand eventually.

• Like 1

WWE can charge $40 a PPV and make more than they do now charging $60. If they can make it sustainable and not fuck up the streaming part, this could be a big move.

Alas, these hopes were dashed when WWE announced they were hiring the head of ROH's iPPV department to handle the streaming.

• Like 3

I guess that will be their way of keeping ads.

Really this will be one of those wait, and see type deals for me. Especially since the service will crash a hundred times a day like MLB.TV, and NHL Center Ice did in it's first few years when they started offering it to PS3, and 360 owners.

I can see why they're doing it, but I think it ensures the scheduled shows will do abysmally

OK, so you want to watch the network for a few hours. Are you going to tune in for another, boring, by-the-numbers Raw recap OR go find some cool-ass HBK matches from the '90s to enjoy?

I also predict Legend's House will do about 12 viewers. Mostly from Piper's family.

This is going to suck. WWE already did an online streaming subscription service. Very disappointing and considering the reliability of Comcast's internet service and lack of options it's not feasible for me. I shudder to think about how many issues they'll likely have streaming Wrestlemania to all the subscribers.

Oh well looks like YouTube will continue to be my online wrestling library.

After watching this, are we even sure we ever saw this Mistico in the WWE?  This  guy has confidence, physical charisma, and a real and fluid snap to all of his moves.  None of those words describe Sin Cara.

Maybe he got replaced a long, long time ago. 

I firmly believe the WWE could've made some money off this guy, just from looking at that video.  The video didn't even have any of his ranas where he lands on his feet standing.  The WWE must have just sucked the life out of him.

Also, on the Network thing, if MLB.tv is involved, it'd be a great thing.  Their streaming service is pretty good but I'm assuming more people will be watching Mania than watching a July ball game with the Pirates and the Rockies.  This is a big risk.

Scott Norton turned up on that one DVDVR spin-off board I posted at for a while.  He was a cool dude.  Then people decided to troll him so he basically said "Ah, this is not for me." and left.

Over at SSS we had Norton's wife and Josh Barnett for a bit. The former along with a few other posters trolled Barnett to point where he left.

This is going to suck. WWE already did an online streaming subscription service. Very disappointing and considering the reliability of Comcast's internet service and lack of options it's not feasible for me. I shudder to think about how many issues they'll likely have streaming Wrestlemania to all the subscribers.

Oh well looks like YouTube will continue to be my online wrestling library.

I think the growth and success of services like HBO Go as well as sports streaming like the NFL online, this could work and be successful as long as WWE invests in using reliable servers and they offer apps on media players like Apple TV/Roku/Playstation/XBox.  Even though we're probably a few years away, online streaming subscriptions is probably the future for cable channels. 

I mean it already appears that the WWE's been testing this with their WWE app.  For those who haven't used it, you get pretty good quality streaming video for those "during commercial" segments they show.

That WWE Network shit all sounds dreadful to me. As a big wrestling fan, that admittedly watches a lot of shit online & someone that could watch wrestling seven days a week, I have no interest in it if it's not on a TV channel. To me that was the entire fucking point.

• Like 2

That WWE Network shit all sounds dreadful to me. As a big wrestling fan, that admittedly watches a lot of shit online & someone that could watch wrestling seven days a week, I have no interest in it if it's not on a TV channel. To me that was the entire fucking point.

Also, we've been able to see most of that stuff on YouTube anyway.

You do know if they went with a channel it would have ended up like any other all something network. Starts off airing what they preach, but then evolve into something completely due to lack of viewers, and investors pulling their money.

Also, we've been able to see most of that stuff on YouTube anyway.

Not really. They've given away free matches, but not entire shows like they say they're promising with this new network.