DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Who hired Paul Roma?  Bischoff?  Such a weird choice for a Horsemen.  Not that he didn't have the look or ability but he just didn't have the rep.  You can't debut someone best known for being a job guy in the WWF as part of WCW's most elite group.

Dick Slater might've worked.  Although he always came in as Terry Funk's replacement but Tully Blanchard's from Texas too.

Rick Rude was right there.

Orndorff would've been an alright alternative too.  That makes me remember when he did that interview after Anderson/Flair/Pillman took him out with a piledriver and he said they offered him a spot but he never wanted to be a "Four Horseman".

They never even got around to adding a fourth full-time member to that incarnation of the group either.

Benoit's debut into the group was pretty lackluster too.  Just a taped promo with Anderson and Pillman.  Don't even think all four members interacted as a complete unit for months after that either.

Who hired Paul Roma?  Bischoff?  Such a weird choice for a Horsemen.  Not that he didn't have the look or ability but he just didn't have the rep.  You can't debut someone best known for being a job guy in the WWF as part of WCW's most elite group.

Dick Slater might've worked.  Although he always came in as Terry Funk's replacement but Tully Blanchard's from Texas too.

Rick Rude was right there.

Orndorff would've been an alright alternative too.  That makes me remember when he did that interview after Anderson/Flair/Pillman took him out with a piledriver and he said they offered him a spot but he never wanted to be a "Four Horseman".

They never even got around to adding a fourth full-time member to that incarnation of the group either.

Benoit's debut into the group was pretty lackluster too.  Just a taped promo with Anderson and Pillman.  Don't even think all four members interacted as a complete unit for months after that either.

The Benoit/Flair/AA/Pillman group had one of the great all-time Horsemen moments at Starrcade 95 though. Macho hitting Flair with an ultra-weak megaphone shot then blading him for some reason, resulting in Mass Transit like blood loss. Pillman going nuts on the apron while Benoit tries to interfere while AA sneaks in, hits Macho with the knucks and pulls Flair on top for the title. Crowd going nuts as Dusty yells, "The Horsemen are ridin again babah!" Flair just bleeding all over the place and unable to even do a post-match interview while Pillman snaps and beats Macho with the belt.

How could they have added Rude, who was more vain and a bigger ladies man than the Nature Boy? By that time, he wasn't a guy who was going to play second fiddle in a stable.

They probably could have turned Stunning Steve easily enough, just mention AA's time with him in the Dangerous Alliance, and call him the future of the Horsemen, stuff like that. Still don't know who you go with as #4 though.

Does Punk really lurk this board or is that a running joke?

From meeting people at Indy shows, it seems a lot of guys come here and lurk and some even post. It would NOT shock me if Punk did, because i'm sure some of his friends do.

I dont know what Dustin was doing in the spring of 93 but I know he eventually ended up teaming with Arn anyway so why not put Dustin the the group? They couldve played off the Horsemans history with Dusty shit Flair Ole Arn and Dusty couldve ended the Segment beating Dusty to a bloodly pulp maybe Dusty comes out protests tries to warn his young impressionable son this wont end well Dustin hits him the rest jump him. Hindsight's 20/20 but anything wouldve been than Paul Roma.

From meeting people at Indy shows, it seems a lot of guys come here and lurk and some even post. It would NOT shock me if Punk did, because i'm sure some of his friends do.

In the past we've had people like Bully Ray and Necro Butcher go as far as to post here.  Of course, everyone here treated them like shit, so they left and never came back.  There is plenty of evidence from the last few years to suggests that Punk lurks here.  Who remembers ECW John "Pee Wee" Moore posting here with his insane conspiracy theories?

I think in the Meltzer thread it was supposed to be Hogan, The Road Warriors and.....Hennig? Bringing Pillman in 18 months earlier than they did probably would have made sense, and probably helps exacerbate the heel turn beyond "well....Hogan's here now."

On a similar note, if Hogan is coming back to the WWE in any capacity, I'd love to see him brought in as part of the Authority, if only as a device to wind up the storyline. Who knows better what's best for business, brother, than the guy who made the business? if HHH is supposed to be this caricature of what the internet perceive him to be, I'd love to see a similar role for what Hogan has been perceived to be during the late 90s.

Have them backstage discussing Intercontinental title contenders or something, and Hogan dismisses say, Maddox's proposals for The Miz/Kofi/whoever else is in midcard limbo, and brings up Brian Knobbs as a viable contender. You can either rely on the crowd to give him a nostalgia pop and a "You've still got it!" chant for no apparent reason that Hogan can then point to as being best for business, or they'll completely shit on him, and they can play him as the deluded self-serving prick.

Eventually you build up to the idea that HHH is outgunned in terms of playing politics with the likes of Hogan, you may even get a worked shooty promo with Shawn in there as well. Eventually Hogan's hip is shattered to a million pieces and you do the ending to The Wrestler meets the ending to Poochy.

How could they have added Rude, who was more vain and a bigger ladies man than the Nature Boy? By that time, he wasn't a guy who was going to play second fiddle in a stable.

I figure they were all going to end up turning on Flair anyway cause good guy Horsemen doesn't make any sense.

But yeah, if they had to be babyfaces then Dustin Rhodes sounds good.  You got the Dusty connection and the Barry Windham connection too.

Now I remember that Terry Taylor was in the WWF at the time because he wrestled Mr. Perfect the week before the Flair/Perfect loser leaves WWF match.

In the past we've had people like Bully Ray and Necro Butcher go as far as to post here.  Of course, everyone here treated them like shit, so they left and never came back.  There is plenty of evidence from the last few years to suggests that Punk lurks here.  Who remembers ECW John "Pee Wee" Moore posting here with his insane conspiracy theories?

As someone that just started posting here within the past two years but has been contributing to the (*sigh*) Internet Wrestling Community since the late 90s, I can say that at least from my perspective, DVDVR has a legacy of a place to find information about all types of wrestling.  If you wanted to know about lucha, you came to DVDVR.  If you wanted to know what's hot in puro, you came to DVDVR.

Of course, now it's a message board for people that don't even watch Impact, but there hasn't really been a replacement for it yet, so some of that legacy is still floating around the place.