DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

So,wait, Bryan reversed a multi-year trend of dropping buyrates for HIAC?

No, the return of Cena, and Punk finally getting his hands on Heyman did.

So two guys whose main events contributed to that multi-year trend vs. the guy main eventing it for the first time. 

I'd rather put money on fans being more interested in Cena's return, than put money on Daniel Bryan's run at the top somehow turning a corner in PPV buys at the very end.

- Here are some updated numbers from recent WWE Studios projects:

* The Marine: Homefront sold $2,570,365 worth of DVD units and $730,820 worth of Blu-ray units since its release in March.

* 12 Rounds: Reloaded sold $919,421 worth of DVD units and $584,831 in Blu-ray units since June.

* The Call sold 468,917 DVD units from June 30th through August 4th for $8,513,782 and 133,371 Blu-ray units for $3,142,841.

* Dead Man Down sold 188,501 DVD units from July 14th through August 4th for a gross of $3,418,711. During the same period, the movie sold 94,905 Blu-ray units for $1,824,178.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/1202/567895/wwe-diva-gives-back-on-thanksgiving/#rIVbgUr1KEMYQBKY.99

So, clearly, Wade Barrett should be the Face of the WWE.

I've been saying this for three years! Or at least make him the Face of WWE Europe. I mean, the English love him and everyone else hates him. There's a Cena comparison somewhere in that..

* The Marine: Homefront sold $2,570,365 worth of DVD units and $730,820 worth of Blu-ray units since its release in March.

* 12 Rounds: Reloaded sold $919,421 worth of DVD units and $584,831 in Blu-ray units since June.

* The Call sold 468,917 DVD units from June 30th through August 4th for $8,513,782 and 133,371 Blu-ray units for $3,142,841.

* Dead Man Down sold 188,501 DVD units from July 14th through August 4th for a gross of $3,418,711. During the same period, the movie sold 94,905 Blu-ray units for $1,824,178.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/1202/567895/wwe-diva-gives-back-on-thanksgiving/#rIVbgUr1KEMYQBKY.99

I know that's a joke, but even with better-than-usual DVD sales, Dead Man Down still lost a ton when all is said and done.

Film cost $30 million, millions more in marketing and totally flopped in theaters. It would have to have been a Dredd-sized hit to make back it's money, and it hasn't been.

Maybe with TV rights, rentals and Netflix it could possibly break even, but I don't know.

$30 Million?!?!? What the fuck did they spend all that money on??

I don't think you need Hollywood accounting to explain why a movie starring Colin Farrell, Noomi Rapace, and Terrance Howard cost $30 million.

Colin Farrell can probably ask for big bucks, but I doubt the other two can.

Grown Ups 2 cost like $80 million, crazy as it sounds. Shady Hollywood accounting, I guess.

That makes more sense to me though because all those stars demand big money, surely. But the biggest star in DMD was Colin Farrell.

I had Colin Farrell confused with Colin *Quinn,* but now that I cleared that up, this comment makes no sense.

I know that's a joke, but even with better-than-usual DVD sales, Dead Man Down still lost a ton when all is said and done.

Film cost $30 million, millions more in marketing and totally flopped in theaters. It would have to have been a Dredd-sized hit to make back it's money, and it hasn't been.

Maybe with TV rights, rentals and Netflix it could possibly break even, but I don't know.

But to be fair, that wasn't WWE money.

Business analysis and hypotheticals on particular wrestlers's drawing abilities IS pro wrestling.

Can't we get back to making fun of Davey Richard's psychology? Or discuss how random the WCW tag scene was in the 90s?

I bring this up because I realized that Ryback/Axel totally seem like the type of team that would have traded the WCW tag titles with the Harlem Heat like 4 times on random WCW Saturday Nights and PPVs.

Speaking of tags, after having just watched the incredible SD from last week, goddamn is Goldust a big dude. It says a lot about how smaller the entire rooster is overall because in the 90s you didn't look at Dustin as this big guy but he towered over those other babyfaces.

I bring this up because I realized that Ryback/Axel totally seem like the type of team that would have traded the WCW tag titles with the Harlem Heat like 4 times on random WCW Saturday Nights and PPVs.

No, Harlem Heat would have taken the titles from Marcus Bagwell and Ryback, then lost them to Marcus Bagwell and Curtis Axel.

• Like 2

So what belt are they going with for the Unified Championship? They rolled out the new WWE one last year. I can't see WWE wasting all that money. On the other hand if they stick with that belt, it buries the World Championship even more, if that's possible.

So what belt are they going with for the Unified Championship? They rolled out the new WWE one last year. I can't see WWE wasting all that money. On the other hand if they stick with that belt, it buries the World Championship even more, if that's possible.

I think they'll just keep both for awhile, which is why they've been ending RAW with both guys holding up both belts.

I don't think you need Hollywood accounting to explain why a movie starring Colin Farrell, Noomi Rapace, and Terrance Howard cost $30 million.

Colin Farrell can probably ask for big bucks, but I doubt the other two can.

Terrance Howard tried. The result was Don Cheadle in Iron Man 2 and 3.

• Like 1

If this at all involves Cena turning heel as part of the unification, he should bring back the spinner belt to troll the part of the WWE Universe that despises it.

Grown Ups 2 cost like $80 million, crazy as it sounds. Shady Hollywood accounting, I guess.

Every Adam Sandler movie since LITTLE NICKY has cost $80 Million, somehow.

They're all an excuse for him to take lavish vacations with his buddies.