DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Four Horsemen have to be the Beatles, right? Ric Flair is Paul McCartney and still held up into old age. Also had problems with ex-wives.

Who's Paul Roma?

Some ungrateful idiot who performed at Wrestlemania and was a member of the Four Horsemen and still some how is bitter.
  • Like 1

Four Horsemen have to be the Beatles, right? Ric Flair is Paul McCartney and still held up into old age. Also had problems with ex-wives.

Who's Paul Roma?

Some ungrateful idiot who performed at Wrestlemania and was a member of the Four Horsemen and still some how is bitter.

It's not his fault Flair and Anderson were jealous of his body.

Who's Paul Roma?

They should've just paid Tully what he wanted I can't believe it was THAT unreasonable of a price that you replace him with Paul fucking Roma

John Cena = Metallica is one of the least likely comparison's I've ever heard.  As public personas go, Cena's closer to Barney the Dinosaur than a metal band.

Metallica is a pretty corporate entity. And a sad one in their later days, as made evident by "Some Kind of Monster." That's a great documentary. My only problem w/ it is the name. "Sad But True" was RIGHT THERE for everyone.

Metallica doesn't quite work for Cena w/ me. I love early Metallica but everything after Black is really awful. Cena has staying power.

Who's Paul Roma?

They should've just paid Tully what he wanted I can't believe it was THAT unreasonable of a price that you replace him with Paul fucking Roma

I thought a failed drug test did Tully in and not money. That being said, there had to be somebody kicking around out there in 1993 that they could've brought in or another young guy on the roster to elevate. It would've robbed us of The Hollywood Blondes but Pillman wasn't doing anything of note that I can recall around that time or Tom Zenk. What was Stan Lane doing back then? He would've fit the demographic pretty well and he had the in of being a Flair trainee (according to wiki anyway).

Cena is more akin to Jay-Z.  They've still got their fastball and can pull out a terrific match/song when they really want to but they're getting left behind by the new talent at the moment.  However, Nikki Bella is no Beyonce. 

I like this. It also makes sense in terms of a greater purpose -- both have a lot of moments as artists, but both exist almost solely to make profit.

Four Horsemen have to be the Beatles, right?  Ric Flair is Paul McCartney and still held up into old age. Also had problems with ex-wives.

Who's Paul Roma?

Some nameless dude in Ringo's solo band?

Burnt bridges, torpedoed reunions, indiscriminate burial of his peers - My god, he's Ray Davies.

on Revolver: It's a load of rubbish and John is jealous of my bod.

I would go with Cena=Foo Fighters. Both are the most recognizable acts in their genre during a down period. Each have very clear strengths and weaknesses. Both have been around for so long and have such a large body of moderate hits that even their detractors have no choice but to respect and reluctantly appreciate them.

Punk=The White Stripes or the mainstream indy band of the moment.

HHH=Metallica. A big, bloated parody of a once very solid act.

I kind of liked the Cena/Metallica analogy, because if there was a wrestling equivalent of Napster and Vince knew about it, you know Cena would get trotted out to talk about how we need to rise above piracy or something equally terrible.

Important question: which wrestler is Morrissey? Obvious choice is Regal: been great for forever, but remains under appreciated. I will also assume that a large percentage of Latinos love them both.

Green Day would be more like The Undertaker.

In that they are both veterans that as they got older they got a bit more experimental and went a bit longer than they used to.

That and they started wearing guyliner.

Also... Pitbull = Davey Richards?

I thought a failed drug test did Tully in and not money.

It was a combination of money and the drug test.  Tully was negotiating with WCW to come back with Arn, but WCW broke off negotiations when they got wind of the failed drug test.   Supposedly, they came back to him a few months later and lowballed the offer (offering half the amount  they initially offered) and Tully balked.

Ironically, Tully has claimed that he "intentionally" failed the test to get out of his WWF contract early,     

Cena is more akin to Jay-Z.  They've still got their fastball and can pull out a terrific match/song when they really want to but they're getting left behind by the new talent at the moment.  However, Nikki Bella is no Beyonce.

So, Cena is Jay-Z if he married a Kardashian?

This might seem a little on the nose, but my thought for a Cena comparison is Eminem.

He came into the public eye as a white rapper, which on the national stage had been done before, but never very well. He quickly got over with the larger, more casual fanbase, while pissing off the hardcore fans who could see that while he was talented, his ability wasn't matching his hype. As they went on, he really did improve at his craft, to the point that he's one of the industry's best performers, but the hype had died down some because everyone had already seen it before, and meanwhile some of that hardcore fanbase never got over their earlier dislike of him.

I thought a failed drug test did Tully in and not money.

It was a combination of money and the drug test.  Tully was negotiating with WCW to come back with Arn, but WCW broke off negotiations when they got wind of the failed drug test.   Supposedly, they came back to him a few months later and lowballed the offer (offering half the amount  they initially offered) and Tully balked.

Ironically, Tully has claimed that he "intentionally" failed the test to get out of his WWF contract faster,     

That was in 1989, 93 was when Ole low balled Tully for some reason.