DVDVR Message Board

December 2013 NHL thread

odessasteps

What am I missing?  Why is this a big deal?

Guy breaks jaw of guy half his size (granted by being clumsy, as opposed to malicious). Gets suspended.

Guy taunts smaller guy in full face shield for having a broken jaw.

In what way would this not generate heat in the NHL? Between what two teams in what era would you not expect that to generate anger? Acting like it's unexpected outrage is ridiculously comical. Of course it generates outrage. Most non-psychopaths understand that's not okay.

• Like 1

It's hockey, way worse shit is said all the time to try to get under someone's skin.  Kassian was obviously feeling pretty full of himself since ol' Dallas Eakins made all sorts of bold statements about Kassian and his team followed it up by doing jack and shit to him. 

Edmitten escalated this whole thing by carrying on like he fucking planned falling down and managing to hit Gagner at the same moment with his stick. So he made a stupid gesture.  He didn't go up and punch him in the face like people did to Crosby when he had his gimmick on.

So to review:

- Way worse shit than "publicly taunting a person whose face I shattered to the point it needed reconstructive surgery" happens all the time

- It's Edmonton's fault Kassian did this because some fans said he should have been suspended longer on social media

- It's also Edmonton's fault this happened because no one on the Oilers tried to put Kassian on a stretcher, which makes it okay

- At least Kassian didn't punch the guy whose face he shattered, in said face, so he's actually a pretty good guy

Well, I'm convinced. Well done.

• Like 1

Not as funny as wasting a roster spot on Steve MacIntyre.

Class act Zdeno Chara punched Sidney Crosby in his fucking broken face.  "Just part of the game" people said.  Kassian made a gesture after being threatened for months by an entire organization. CASE CLOSED. Good day sir.

• Like 1

And he's still, at worst, an above average NHL starter capable of playing a ton of games.  At best, Clarkson's been a third line banger this year.

You don't overpay for intangibles.  You know who you get to do the shit nobody likes to do?  Guys who are fighting for new contracts.

• Like 1

I'm hoping the Canucks don't overpay Santorelli, for instance.

Clarkson's deal was awful from the get go. Just think if they kept Grabovski and let Bozak walk, too. And, no, he's not playing with Ovechkin, he's lined up with Jason Chimera, Joel Ward, and Troy Brouwer the most. Keeping MacArthur instead of Clarkson was another no brainer.

I thought you had some sort of anti-NFL hipster gimmick pal?

It's more of an anti-football culture aging hipster gimmick.

I'd suggest that Hockey culture is worse. Bunch of guys talking about class and the way things are done and then concussing each other with cheap shots, needless hits and fights that have no real purpose.

• Like 2

If a baseball player suffers a serious possibly season ending injury and is back training with his team a few weeks later the accusations of "performance enhancing drugs" would be tossed out faster than teddy bears on Teddy Bear Toss Night.

Yet Steven Stamkos back on the ice already after breaking his leg & ready to return hopefully next month... all I hear is what a great athlete he is, how he eats right & how miraculous his recovery has been.

Last I checked - illegal drugs were used to help people recover faster, no?