DVDVR Message Board

December 2013 NHL thread

odessasteps

That actually seems a bit left field to me. Like, why now?

According to his press conference, he wanted to take the first couple months to do a full evaluation of the front office. Once he made the decision that a new GM was needed, he wanted to pull the trigger as soon as possible, out of fairness to Feaster, and to increase the chance of getting a desirable replacement.

I don't think it has anything to do with anyone expecting to make the playoffs or not, really. It's more that Feaster isn't good enough to make the long-term decisions that the team needs. I think Burke is right. Feaster was decent as a GM, and he did start the process of digging the Flames out of the hole Darryl Sutter left them in. But he severely lacked a philosophy of what sort of team he wanted to build.

St. Louis should be ashamed of their effort tonight. Shoulda been at least 9-0 by the halfway mark of the 2nd period. To even get it to the point where Leafs pulled their goalie... that's just unacceptable. Blues gotta know when to step on the throat and finish it.

Saw Gallagher attack Steve Mason at the end of the game tonight. It's a double edged sword b/c one one hand it is a Flyers goalie so I'm okay with them being attacked but on the other hand he's a rat who gets away with murder. Eh... at least it was entertaining.

After the game apparently Reimer had a priceless quote:

James Reimer was asked if St. Louis is a tough place to play. "I have no idea. This is my first time here and I only lasted 15 minutes."

If he was truly awesome he would have said "I always find it intimidating when the fans dress up as empty seats".

Reimer was hung out to dry though. Shots were like 15-2 in the first 15 minutes. He made a couple great saves. I felt bad for him getting yanked. They give Bernier way more rope even though Reimer's numbers are (were?) better.

Loved Carlyle calling the team brain dead. One could argue some of his lineups changes seem to be made by a guy who is brain dead.

So, I haven't had much time for hockey this season and the Islanders were a favourite of mine last season, what's the deal with them this year? How are they this bad after pushing the Penguins pretty hard in the playoffs and then getting Vanek? Nabokov has only played 14 games and has a sub .900 SV%, they've got the highest GA/G by a country mile, and are in the bottom 10 in GF/G. They have a terribly low PDO, so that tells me they've been a li'l unlucky but c'mon.

I knew they should've acquired a real goalie but I don't think even that would solve most of their problems just looking at the team on paper.

So, I haven't had much time for hockey this season and the Islanders were a favourite of mine last season, what's the deal with them this year? How are they this bad after pushing the Penguins pretty hard in the playoffs and then getting Vanek? Nabokov has only played 14 games and has a sub .900 SV%, they've got the highest GA/G by a country mile, and are in the bottom 10 in GF/G. They have a terribly low PDO, so that tells me they've been a li'l unlucky but c'mon.

I knew they should've acquired a real goalie but I don't think even that would solve most of their problems just looking at the team on paper.

They have a low PDO because they're playing AHL goalies more than being unlucky.  They also play Andrew MacDonald like 30 minutes per game.