DVDVR Message Board

Paul Walker has died.

Big Fresh

BTW - Meltzer did post a retraction

--We were incorrect yesterday when saying that Paul Walker had completed filming Fast and Furious 7 when he passed away Saturday in the tragic accident.  He still had two important scenes left to shoot this week and they were going to have to make a decision how to deal with it.

So I watched Joy Ride tonight - how have I been sleeping on that one?

Candy Caaaa-aaa-aa-nne. . . .

Joy Ride is legitimately one of the scarier movies out there, because I can see that happening in real life on some level.

What's fantastic about Joy Ride is that it varies the way it builds suspense. Most of it is the characters inability to know what the fuck is going on. The best example of this is the hotel room when they listen through the walls. We can't hear exactly what's going on and the camera doesn't do a lot of jumping around to build phony tension. It mostly just sits on it, and makes the audience prick up their ears and see if they can make out the noises. It's legitimately a great movie moment. But Joy Ride can also do the wham bang action suspense, which it builds with shotgun motel business. It's a really fun and exciting bit, because you've decided one of these characters can totally die, but you don't know which, and you really don't want any of them to, but it feels like it's about to happen at any moment.