DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/9/2023

The Natural

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Featuring Dr Britt Baker vs. Skye Blue vs. Mercedes Martinez vs. Nyla Rose with the winner getting an AEW Women’s World Title match on Dynamite next week and Powerhouse Hobbs in action.

F%&# that $#@t! DOCTOR LUTHER IS GOING TO BE ON OUR TVs AGAIN! Nothing else matters. ❤️

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Gordlow said:

F%&# that $#@t! DOCTOR LUTHER IS GOING TO BE ON OUR TVs AGAIN! Nothing else matters. ❤️

I had forgotten that he's still rocking the Road Warrior Hawk look.

• Like 1

That was a really nice, satisfying finish to the main event today. 

I LOVED SAP's matching gear and loved seeing them on TV again. 

The hour always flies by.

Dynamite is (once again) STACKED next week! But to me a simple hour of entertaining pro wrestling and associated bullshit (like we got today) is often every bit as satisfying as a jam-packed supershow.

• Like 4

If we are going to rank babyfaces I wonder where put Aubrey? This tomfoolery can be wonderful when it doesn’t take over the show.

JR saying Assclaimed could be trios champs when they just lost their shot…

Main was as good as a four way that could be expected babyfaces and heels having matching gear was something interesting. Wish the logic was that if you break the rules you get dq’d eliminated not every four way is automatically no dq. Did like Britt bring and equalizer for what’s her face

• Like 2

Good rampage. Totally different feel than last week obviously.

• I absolutely hate how the Lucha Bros just come into the ring whenever they want to. It lowers the stakes and the drama and it's not a "lucha" thing at all. Traditionally in lucha, the rudos will do that and then the ref will hold the tecnicos back from doing it because they work on a different set of rules/a different moral code and that's where a lot of the drama on beatdowns happens. In a Lucha Bros tag, they come in whenever they want during the shine but then look like idiots for not doing that during the heat with no explanation or logic. I think Dax's logic of "the legal man always touches the legal man and the illegal man only goes after the illegal man" after things break down towards the end of a match is too much, but this is way too little. The Big Bill stuff was otherwise fun. I basically wish anyone else had the ROH belts.
  • I got a kick out of the JR's coffee line. Interesting thing about Hobbs. He wrestled Spears over the weekend and midway through the match they switched it and Hobbs ended as a babyface. Makes you wonder. Good on the Colorado Springs crowd for really going up for the local guy even if he got squished.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the SAP vs Acclaimed match. I like Angelico's theme but it stunk SAP didn't come out to the Masters of the Universe one, just to hear it on a bigger stage. I like Caster using the atomic drop/inverted atomic drop. I don't remember if he'd been doing that but that's a good pick up for him.
  • Very happy for Skye Blue who has been putting the work in. She seemed honestly choked up at the end. Nice to see Martinez in with these people to freshen things up a bit. They ran the lockjaw/half crab spot at the house show too, btw, so they're really using them a trial ground for new things. It's funny that Nyla still has her pyro even though she's way down the card. They should have a screwy finish and run it back on the first Collision in front of the hometown crowd.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

The 4-way was interesting. There was no real story going into the match and I feel like they didn't use that time or the main event slot to develop anything other than saying Toni's first successful defense is going to be against Skye Blue. 

Speaking of Skye, she's been getting the reps in and has had some super solid matches in ROH lately, but she looked a little blown up near the end and got sloppy here. In fact it seemed like Nyla Rose was the only one in the match that didn't come to play. That bump from the top onto the apron was super dangerous. While it's always good to see Mercedes she wasn't really noticeable. I'm done with Britt Baker.

Idk wtf that was with Shida and Marina. Shida accompanied Britt out, but she attacks Marina for attacking Mercedes... 

• Like 1

Some Babyfaces just hate cheating. That's why they don't cheat themselves in revenge.

I mean, it is odd seeing Shida being the new Rebel, but it's probably temporary.

Skye Blue did look genuinely thrilled to have won. I was hoping Nyla was going to win, so she could get the title shot in her hometown. But I suppose The Acclaimed winning their match earlier in the night meant that the "why are you having LGTBQ wrestlers lose during Pride month?" talking point was already dead. Even though Caster brought it up in his rap.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:58 PM, Gordlow said:

On 6/9/2023 at 12:26 AM, zendragon said:

I’m glad to see Double M and Angelico again

On 6/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, Matt D said:

thoroughly enjoyed the SAP vs Acclaimed match. I like Angelico's theme but it stunk SAP didn't come out to the Masters of the Universe one, just to hear it on a bigger stage. I like

Way late to the party, but I just finished watching the show on DVR right now, and came to this thread specifically to say: I am once again respectfully asking for more Angelico. That is a guy who, if you asked me, should be one of the top, top beneficiaries of the added hours of Collision & ROH. Not to say that wrestling one of the most over teams on the roster on TNT is a *bad* spot, but I'd love one of these days to see him in one of these OC INTL title bangers that tend to open Dynamite most weeks. At least make him a DLC in the damn game!! 

Also: I hate to be negative about anything, because I really thought this was a hell of a show - I'd be remiss if I didnt shout the ladies match out before wrapping up, because they worked their tails off - but the insistence on having Wardlow speak... I just don't get it. Especially when Arn opened the segment pretty great, as he's been doing since before many of us won 'The Fastest Sperm.' it's frustrating and baffling. Just master the art of nodding along, mean mugging, and rubbing the hands together/adjusting the wrist tape threateningly in the background, man!!  Love that he's getting a nice, more consistent TNT reign after the Joe/Hobbs hot potato stuff last go 'round, but the facts is the facts: Aubrey Edwards f'n smoked him tonight on the stick. 

Edit: I had to Google it to confirm, but it's been 3 years since the last Angelico/OC encounter on Dynamite - so we're long overdue 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

I was stunned when Skye Blue won, and I was slightly verklempt when she was breaking down a bit. She’s been working hard, doing all the house shows, putting in the work. She’s not going to win, but she’s also only 23, so a competitive loss is a huge stepping stone for her while she’s been built just enough to be a decent win for Toni, and Skye has been a part of the angle for months. If I were to do a deeper dive into angles, my complaint was that Jayme and Britt wouldn’t rescue the second tier babyfaces from The Outcasts, so the obvious step was for Skye to say “fuck it, I’ll win my spot and if that means fucking over DMD...shrug”. Their mistake is not having this match at the first Collision.

I love Bandido. I love Rey Fenix. I’m still not sure if that helped build up some lower midcard guys on the rise. I 100% agree that having Lucha Bros as ROH tag champs has been a waste of the titles.

Please tell me they’re building to Hobbs turning on QTV. Really they should just have him save Ricky against BCG and pretend the rest never happened. We’re wrestling fans, we may not forget but we very readily forgive.

I’m the odd man out on this board about Angelico. This felt like a serious demotion for the Acclaimed. I thought being a special attraction was a nod to their popularity and propping up Rampage, but now it feels like they’re being slightly buried.

The Jarrett stuff is continuing to verge on the wrong side of the line of “fun carny 80s Memphis Jarrett” and “shitty Impact black hole of booking Jarrett”

• Like 2

I genuinely think that's a good idea. Don't remove the women from Dynamite & Collision. But that's how you give Rampage an identity. You make it the show where you can watch the women of the roster develop and grow. I can't imagine ratings for that could be any lower than what Rampage gets now... and realistically I think it could pull the numbers up a bit. Plus this solves multiple other problems.

• Like 1

I said on Facebook that I thought it would be cool to have Rampage be a women’s feature show and was told that was “putting them in the ghetto”. But like NFJF said, that should not preclude having women’s matches on the other shows.