DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/7/2023

The Natural

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At this point, I very much hope that Menard is commentating on Collision. I want Ian/Wight/Menard. 

The lack of Elevation means we missed out on Willow/Maki vs Emi/Megan Bayne. Someone let me know if a fancam of that pops up.

It was taped for ROH, I believe?

EDIT: It was. Along with a Pure Rules match between The DKC and Daniel Garcia.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

I didn’t watch every second of the match, so I may have missed some rough spots, but I thought Anna Jay looked really sharp in there against Stat. I know they worked each other at a house show last weekend, so that might have something to do with it, but Anna looked more confident than usual in everything she was doing.

It was obvious that she and Statlander had good chemistry. Statlander is really smooth in the ring for the most part. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

It will probably be a good match, but I'm not sure that's a match that's going to make non die-hards go "man, I've got to see that". For the debut of a new show I would have expected something bigger.

Does AEW really have a match like that in their pocket? Maybe Punk/Kenny, but you save that for All In or a ppv if those two can ever agree to work together.

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

I didn’t watch every second of the match, so I may have missed some rough spots, but I thought Anna Jay looked really sharp in there against Stat. I know they worked each other at a house show last weekend, so that might have something to do with it, but Anna looked more confident than usual in everything she was doing.

Anna has taken a noticeable step forward in the past year. The Lights Out match was good and her match with Julia was decent and Julia isn't nearly as far as along as the others yet. Stat has been a workhorse when healthy, so no surprise they had a good match together.

Where has THAT Preston Vance been? He's always been capable of conjuring up gushers at will, but he channeled the absent RUSH so well I barely noticed he was missing + almost didn't realize this was also the most complete HOOK performance ever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

EDIT: double thoughts for double post!

Also the best Anna Jay singles match ever! Somehow a Top Card Heels Kill The Best Friends Match didn't feel tired! The things I wasn't hype for wound up being the most interesting.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

For those particularly interested in Anna Jay’s development, this is her interacting with Toni quite heavily. I will refrain from comment other than it’s a productive use of ten minutes. 

• Like 2

Brother Zae makes me laugh.  More. MORE!  MOARRRR!

So Punk in a Trios match gets a lot of work done while spending very little credit.  You get a Main Event and set yourself up for couple of future matches in Punk/Joe, FTR/BCG.  Great.  So does that mean no Punk promo?  Lol

Do you hold it off?  

Loved every second of the Cole/MJF promo battle and I like that we aren’t just going to get more of the same next week.  I didn’t really like Coles performance against Hangman but I think he carried himself much better here as a contender.  Here Coles promo was a counterpoint without trying to match the nastiness as the undercurrent of his character is he is a rehabbing heel.  But nothing he said or did was a back step and even got on the scoreboard by successfully baiting the overconfident champion.  

I mentioned last week that AC needs to project more “I’m going to outsmart you” rather than “I’m going to overwhelm you with an ass kicking”.   It was something like that anyway.  But this was a step in the right direction to sell this match.  

Man that tag tornado fucking brought it.  The Hot Boy Express I had kinda written off because I thought AEW had written it off.  Give ‘em Yoshi and Goto.

Somehow I managed love another OC title defense.  I was convinced Swerve was taking it before hand and actually was somewhat baffled when it didn’t happen.  Like I couldn’t believe my eyes.  Cassidy is my WOTY at this point.  

Chefs kiss to the Konosake/Callis segment.  It’s the kinda storyline that makes it ok to be a mark.

Count me in on the positive Anna Jay feedback.  She got way more right than wrong.  Her offense was really smooth.  But I still have nightmares about that powerbomb off the stage while back.  They were very comfortable working with each other so maybe some ring general points for Stat too.

There sure is a lot to look forward to in AEW.  Interesting times.

• Like 4

Watched another chunk and HOLY SHIT did I miss out by falling asleep after the open.

BCC and R. Vice have a banger of a six-man (the lifter to block the dive was simply incredible). I still love Trent? being the secret hostile asskicker of the Best Friends. Being that it's AEW you can barely hear Danielson the whole time but that's a typical quibble. You'd think for such a big time promotion Coach Tony could hire proper sound workers but they've battled with audio issues for years. 

In better audio issues, Takeshita and Callis coming out with no music so you can hear the crowd go completely livid is a perfect choice. Whoever had Don Callis as "White Heat" on their Wrestling Bingo Card, even though he was already great with Omega, well you must be psychic because this didn't seem to be coming at all. Whoever had freakin' Lard Lad as the same is not just psychic but must be manipulating the future. Takeshita is instant super rudo, effortlessly disposing of enhancement dude and looking like the most dismissive arrogant bastard to step out of Japan onto US soil. Awesome stuff. 

Then THE TORNADO TAG!!! They decide if this is gonna be called a Tornado they are gonna make it feel like one. Hook rules the world. Jungle Boy comes off like a badass. Preston Vance, of all people, taps a vein for the cause and it is awesome. For a guy I had to think back to remember who he was he made me make sure I didn't forget about him next time. The standing tall bit at the end with the young guys was great. Jack can stand for some of Hook's cruel cool to rub off on him so they need to stay a team for a minute. 

On to the rest! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Does AEW really have a match like that in their pocket? Maybe Punk/Kenny, but you save that for All In or a ppv if those two can ever agree to work together.

You don't have to do a finish, ending your debut show with a hot angle is probably better anyway.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

2 hours ago, EVA said:

If things get really, really bad they can run Punk vs Sting in Greenville. 

• Like 2

Pretty ho-hum show this week, though I will say even as a Cole detractor I enjoyed the segment with MJF. Interested to see how that match goes and he's a decent scalp for MJF to claim in a TV title defence.

Edited by Steventon

55 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

You don't have to do a finish, ending your debut show with a hot angle is probably better anyway.

I think Joe and BC Gold aren't going to work well together, leading to BCG vs CMFTR and Joe.

Statlander is such a breath of fresh air. I'd like to see some more vignettes or a backstage interview with her. Thought she and Anna had some pretty good chemistry as well. In the past Anna had the problem of looking too choreographed so it was good to see her dial it down and just stick to a few things that look crisp. Anna needs more of these slower paced, low risk matches just as much as Statlander. 

While I feel like Stat vs Taya would give Stat a nice rub, I'm not exactly sure how they will mesh in the ring and I don't want to see things head in the direction of a hard-core stipulation match for the sake of playing up the whole "Wera Loca" gimmick. 

• Like 4

Great show with the exception of "great talker" MJF not being able to get a reaction without shit-talking the crowd.  Dude literally entered the ring, insulted the fans and city, started cutting his promo, stopped to insult them some more, rinse, repeat.  The guy has so little confidence in his character and ability that he has to keep going back to the cheap heat every time the crowd dies down a little.  Contrast that with the fans booing Callis out of the building without him having to pull bush league insult comic shit.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Great show with the exception of "great talker" MJF not being able to get a reaction without shit-talking the crowd.  Dude literally entered the ring, insulted the fans and city, started cutting his promo, stopped to insult them some more, rinse, repeat.  The guy has so little confidence in his character and ability that he has to keep going back to the cheap heat every time the crowd dies down a little.  Contrast that with the fans booing Callis out of the building without him having to pull bush league insult comic shit.

Said it before and will again: Christian Cage, Don Callis and Dominik Mysterio are better heels than MJF.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

You express this often, but I don't understand how trying to actively engage the audience is a bad thing. He's also intentionally picking the lowest hanging fruit so nerds who worry about "cheap heat" do what you're doing.  Where you see "little confidence," I see something that's been practiced and polished and is working as designed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You express this often, but I don't understand how trying to actively engage the audience is a bad thing. He's also intentionally picking the lowest hanging fruit so nerds who worry about "cheap heat" do what you're doing.  Where you see "little confidence," I see something that's been practiced and polished and is working as designed. 

You mentioning lowest hanging fruit reminds me what CM Punk said about MJF:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPAAKVDDEUU

6:00.

So in a perfect world, when MJF made his crack about "Keith Lee's manager", Adam Cole should have gone "Shit, you're right." Then Keith Lee should have come out to challenge MJF.

Show was still pretty good, though.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, just drew said:

I'll again be interested to see how many viewers that segment loses, and who certain folks on here will shift the blame onto to avoid being honest with themselves about Adam Cole.

giphy.gif

This segment scored the highest viewership and highest demo rating for this episode.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Said it before and will again: Christian Cage, Don Callis and Dominik Mysterio are better heels than MJF.

I feel like this the opposite of damning with faint praise (blessing with faint criticism?) If those are the only guys in North America getting more heat than MJF, he's doing great. Sometimes he'll miss the mark with his promos, but he always gets massive heat and turns any crowd that's thinking about cheering for him the other way pretty quickly, other than doing the Bret/Canada thing in Long Island. Plus it's not like those three can work on MJF's level in the ring right now, so it's not a great argument against MJF being in the spot that he is.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

giphy.gif

This segment scored the highest viewership and highest demo rating for this episode.

Second highest viewership after the opening 15 minutes! But thanks, I hates it.

In my opinion it honestly has a lot more to do with segment placement / what is going with other shows on TV / what the trends are for weeks at a time than who is in one segment for one show. Ratings trends take a few weeks to really develop and I think people spend too much time micro analyzing each quarter hour when Nielsen is so imprecise with their measurements.

All that said, had to give drew a little bit of shit because of his size queen gimmick lol.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

giphy.gif

I saw that. MJF is a true miracle worker. He managed to make adam Cole moderately interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

At this point, I very much hope that Menard is commentating on Collision. I want Ian/Wight/Menard. 

The lack of Elevation means we missed out on Willow/Maki vs Emi/Megan Bayne. Someone let me know if a fancam of that pops up.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

It was taped for ROH, I believe?

EDIT: It was. Along with a Pure Rules match between The DKC and Daniel Garcia.

This is most excellent news! I kinda forgot about her since she shredded her knee, but I'm a big Bayne fan - very glad to see her back. That lady has potential on potential.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

With you 100% on the first two guys - slightly off topic: YouTube recently auto-played me a Dominik/Rhea vignette that I guess was supposed to be them invading the Mysterio Christmas dinner, and I have to say, I was laughing my ass off the whole time - I've never seen Dom in the ring, but hats off to him, he had some pretty good comedic timing 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath