DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

That's the problem. Forbidden Door needs to be the best of the best. This is like, an In Your House PPV opener.

(and before the match is official, all six wrestlers must get medical checkups.. just to make sure it's not lupus (it's never lupus)" from the new AEW Doctor, Dr. House

Ok, have we dropped enough heavy-handed puns like houses on the Witch in the Wizard of Oz to kill this pun-line deader than disco?

I was just going for the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back reference, to be honest.

• Like 1

So with Orange winning tonight the one match I think would be perfect for FD would be him against ZSJ.  One, it'd be a helluva submission battle on top of the usual antics Orange would do.  Two, ZSJ would be one helluva foil to play off such antics.  And 3, you have two guys who are defending their titles like madmen in an attempt to not crumble to dust.  ZSJ is technically healthier kayfabe-wise than Orange but the span of defenses plus the trotting around the world adds an interesting wrinkle.  So yeah, let's fucking make this happen and we'll all rejoice.

As a plan B I can accept Hiromu or Yano against Orange for the reasons you would expect (even a tag, sure).  But I find a ZSJ matchup much more interesting.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 7

Not to suggest that anyone here is doing this at all, but if I was booking AEW and announced Kenny vs Ospreay II and Bryan vs Okada, and people were, like, "Yeah. OK. So, what else are we getting?" I would probably lose my shit. 

That being said, I can hardly wait to see what else we are getting.

I LOVE Forbidden Door. The build to Forbidden Door is really exciting, for me.

Plus All Together (this weekend) looks AMAZING.

Plus, the info that came out during Dominion has me even more stoked for both Forbidden Door and the G1

Spoiler

If you are only going to bring in two outsiders, Eddie Kingston (inspired by Kawada) and Kiyomiya (representing Misawa) are pretty damned good choices. I hope they get to face off at some point and I also hope that Kingston gets to fight Taichi (Kawada's protege). It's pretty rare I want to see Taichi fight anybody. That's how stoked I am.

I'd like to suggest a few more Forbidden Door type events, to keep the excitement going all year long:

An event where they go to the UK and AEW wrestlers fight local stars,

Spoiler

For Britain Door

One where they book an arena but it slips their mind and they have to scramble at the last minute to fill the card with whoever is available,

Spoiler

Forgotten Door

One where the lights dim and JR talks for a few hours about how he has a bad feeling about what is going to happen

Spoiler

The Foreboding Door

One where the wrestlers hug it out and agree to let bygones be bygones,

Spoiler

Forgiven Door

A one-night tournament where the winner gets half of Tony Khan's allowance,

Spoiler

The Four Billion Door

And these ones need a little more work, but Four Hidden Doors, where behind one of them is a hungry tiger; and the Foretold Door where they announce the winners during the build up, and a show that's a command performance for the current POTUS, but I'm not sure what we'd call that one. (Edit: Maybe "The Show For Joe").

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

So with Orange winning tonight the one match I think would be perfect for FD would be him against ZSJ.  One, it'd be a helluva submission battle on top of the usual antics Orange would do.  Two, ZSJ would be one helluva foil to play off such antics.  And 3, you have two guys who are defending their titles like madmen in an attempt to not crumble to dust.  ZSJ is technically healthier kayfabe-wise than Orange but the span of defenses plus the trotting around the world adds an interesting wrinkle.  So yeah, let's fucking make this happen and we'll all rejoice.

As a plan B I can accept Hiromu or Yano against Orange for the reasons you would expect (even a tag, sure).  But I find a ZSJ matchup much more interesting.

Love it.

I'd even have ZSJ win and take the title to the All In match vs Danielson.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I can't see KENTA vs CM Punk. You know neither side are going to budge on winning the match.

I don’t listen to Cornette anymore.  But if I could borrow his “two dogs fucking on the side of the road” analogy.  I would apply it here.  

7 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Love it.

I'd even have ZSJ win and take the title to the All In match vs Danielson.

Ooh, I like that idea!  I feel the belt already has increased in value with Orange's reign.  This would take it quite a bit farther if they choose to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Magic 8-Ball says KENTA/Punk will (would?) end up in a double-KO when they kick each other in the head at the same time. 

I almost hate to bring this up as a topic, but you've touched on something I think might become important:  I think after all the FACKIN' BOOLSHIT (RIP Sheik) it would go a long way with many fans if he did the favor for KENTA (if not some of his fellow talent, as well - though I don't purport to know anything about the locker room situation)- sort of like Hogan putting over Angle, Brock, and Taker in '02-03 after all the years of 'doesnt work for me, brother'-ing it (obviously not the best example after TNA, the racist language, etc. but at the time, I seem to remember a lot of folks interpreting it as a mini-redemption-tour of sorts).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

I feel like The play now is to keep the belt on OC and have him win WOTY and make brains explode.

I was thinking about this the other night during the Swerve match (I totally thought he was going over at first) but I think what happens with the International title may be largely dependent on whatever this roster split situation is - for some reason, I have a suspicion/gut feeling that it may end up becoming the top title on Collision, like the AEW version of having the World title on Raw and the WWE title on Smackdown in the '00s. I really figured the path was going to be Swerve beating OC for it, and eventually dropping it to Punk (though I guess we could still get there). Not that I want Punk anywhere near the/a World title at this point again (at least not yet). And really, if putting a world title on him is something they're even considering, then I'd think an MJF rematch books itself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was thinking about this the other night during the Swerve match (I totally thought he was going over at first) but I think what happens with the International title may be largely dependent on whatever this roster split situation is - for some reason, I have a suspicion/gut feeling that it may end up becoming the top title on Collision, like the AEW version of having the World title on Raw and the WWE title on Smackdown in the '00s. I really figured the path was going to be Swerve beating OC for it, and eventually dropping it to Punk (though I guess we could still get there). Not that I want Punk anywhere near the/a World title at this point again (at least not yet). And really, if putting a world title on him is something they're even considering, then I'd think an MJF rematch books itself.

Can you imagine the heat if Punk somehow cheats OC out of the International Title?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hogan putting over Angle, Brock, and Taker in '02-03 after all the years of 'doesnt work for me, brother'-ing it (obviously not the best example after TNA, the racist language, etc. but at the time, I seem to remember a lot of folks interpreting it as a mini-redemption-tour of sorts).

This is true. I remember being confused by feelings of respect for Hogan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I feel like this is what the should have done with Rampage, have that show anchored by OC v Buddy or The Trios belts instead of having OC defend against the likes of QT.

If this does happen I hope Rampage becomes the home of The Dark/Elevation crew (maybe anchored by Statlander?) 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 11:59 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

We may be approaching levels of Dammit, Gordlow~! previously thought unachievable. 

Considering my puns earlier in the thread, I'm no DEAN~! but I'll do my best.

AHEM:

DAMMNIT, GORDLOW!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1