DVDVR Message Board

Ask Octopus Anything

Octopus

Long story short: 

I am out of the house, lil Octopus is wish my wife and her Mom. My wife has fun plans tomorrow so tomorrow lil Octopus and I will likely watch lucha libre and Sesame Street. Wife said have fun tonight, so I’m at the Mexican restaurant/ bar down the street. I used to be more of a regular but busy life I’m an occasional. 
I order a tall Pacifico (my usual here, but elsewhere I’ll get a Summit and maybe a shot of Tullamore Dew if I’m feeling frisky) and the bartender (not Chewy but the other one I never got the name of) says “ohhhh, your usual.” As someone with a necessity to be loved I take the slightest recognition as if it was a warm embraces of a good friend.

Agter turning down a menu, I decide I’m actually a little hungry. I had Jimmy John’s at work, but that was quite a while ago. So, I ask for a menu. Yes, I know. I normally get the Chori Polo but I decide for something different. Which I explain as I’m looking. 

The bartender says, “You like Soup?” 

It’s loud with the sound of rhythmic pan flutes in the air.”, do I ask him to clarify. After confirming he is asking about Soup, I ask “is there good soup here?”

“I really like the soup”

”what’s in it?”

”its very good”

………”ok”

”you want the soup?”

“I’ll take the soup”

”You’ll like it. I really like it”

ok, so I’m getting the soup. He says it’s on the menu but I couldn’t find it. 

Well, I got the soup. Bartender hands it to me with a super proud look on his face and goes “It’s a gallon!” He’s super excited to watch me eat this soup. It’s good soup. He’s happy it’s good soup and keeps looking over saying he really likes it. He’s happy it’s good soup. But I realized even though it is AC in here, it’s super hot out there. Like a dummy I got tequila and a lot of beer. This is a terrible fucking idea. But I need to put a big dent in this soup. I’m trying to read about @Elsalvajeloco’s thoughts on venue management and @Gordlow putting parentheses around a words to make a joke I totally get, I got a gallon of soup in front of me at a bar and a tall Pacifico.

I figure, while I’m chowing down this large soup and planning a casual escape , I might as well open the floor to questions.

Feel free to ask about whatever. Octopus life, soup, beer, derpin, wrestling, whathaveyou. @Matt D’s even invited. I will fight this soup from sobering me up and drink more.

UPDATE: half way through the soup. Cool Guy sat near me for takeout order. He got a Maker’s Mark and I go “always a good call” we’re instant buds. He asks if the soups good and an old guy near us shout “looks good, THAT SOUP LOOKS GOOD!” I’m now over hyping the soup to be nice. It is good soup but not hype soup. Solid B-level soup but this is my chance to bond with Cool Guy and old guy. I say I usually get the Chori Polo and the Cool Huy knows it. We have a lot in common. He gets the enchilada with each type of meat. Fucking rebel, this guy. Old guy probably can’t hear what’s going on but I’m going to dip and walk to Applebees when I get the chance. Already paid, but I can’t finish this gallon of fucking soup.

Cool Guy left and I only have a bit more of my beer. I’ll run like a coward to a worse tap

Edited by Octopus

So, what is in the soup? When I was living in (North) Vancouver, the best local Mexican restaurant had an amazing beer and cheddar soup. I could have housed a gallon of that. Maybe.

And, just in case you (or, really, anyone) actually didn't get my hilarious comedy joke:

Spoiler

Andy asked who is going to be the next "goldmember" 

Goldmember is an Austin Powers movie starring Mike Myers

We used (parentheses) to suggest Autin/Powers or Mike/Myers could be the next Goldmember.

See?

Sheer hilarity!

Spoiler

I am kind of hoping someone angrily demands that I defend the idea of Jim Powers joining BC Gold

Yes, to answer your questions I am now walking to the Applebees. I’m so fucking sloshy. I miss being on mainstreet whete bars are closer. This Applebees ain’t fucking close, it’s near knowledge fuck.

UPDATE: my duplex neighbor walked passed me and we high-fived and laughed. 

I ate too much soup

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

So, what is in the soup? When I was living in (North) Vancouver, the best local Mexican restaurant had an amazing beer and cheddar soup. I could have housed a gallon of that. Maybe.

And, just in case you (or, really, anyone) actually didn't get my hilarious comedy joke:

Hide contents

Andy asked who is going to be the next "goldmember" 

Goldmember is an Austin Powers movie starring Mike Myers

We used (parentheses) to suggest Autin/Powers or Mike/Myers could be the next Goldmember.

See?

Sheer hilarity!

Hide contents

I am kind of hoping someone angrily demands that I defend the idea of Jim Powers joining BC Gold

Beef, potatoes, onions I think, carrots. It was very much a beef soup. But very large and fatty chunks of beef. The beauty of the soup is everything breaks down in it. But I would say it’s a B-soup that is better likely do to drinking, but I’d enjoy it more in the right setting.

• Thanks 1

Yes, you in the back…yes…ok….I am now at the Applebees. Got a tall Deschutes Fresh Squeeze IPA. I’ll probably have one more. The flood gates have already opened with questions. @The Natural even has one. I will probably get another beer after this so plenty of time. 

Yes, you in the middle right…..yes………..ok…..good question. My stool has uneven legs. So I’m doing this slightly diagonal back and forth rocking. I have somewhat restless legs where when I’m not thinking I can be taping my foot or moving. This rocking is maybe because of that.

as I’m drinking I tend to over think it tend to plan out writing or imagine or just stew on an annoying day. Luckily it wasn’t a bad day. Fighting off negativity 

30 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Yes, you in the back…yes…ok….I am now at the Applebees. Got a tall Deschutes Fresh Squeeze IPA. I’ll probably have one more. The flood gates have already opened with questions. @The Natural even has one. I will probably get another beer after this so plenty of time. 

Are you really at an Applebee's? Or is it just one absorbing the atmosphere of an Applebee's? The Applebee's didn't take you in as much as you took it in.

Sorry...I will take my answer offline.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Are you really at an Applebee's? Or is it just one absorbing the atmosphere of an Applebee's? The Applebee's didn't take you in as much as you took it in.

Sorry...I will take my answer offline.

Fredrick Nietzsche once said “To Do is to Be”and Elroy Kant once said “To Be is to Do”. I guess the best way to answer your question is “To Applebees is to Applees.” When somebody arrives in an Applebees and is devoid of preconceived notions of fine dining or necessity of atmosphere requirements, they themselves become as much a part of the Applebees as the local jerseys on the wall, half dusted Buffalo boneless wings, m and limited tap selection. When I’m Applebees the idea of self is both negated and multiplied. I see myself at a different location as a middle schooler and myself as a nervous young man with my eventual wife and mother of my child after seeing a movie. Am I at Applebees? No, I am Applebees. We all are.

• Thanks 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was John Donne who said, "no man is an Applebee's entire of itself...every man is a piece of the appetizer, a part of the main entree."

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was John Donne who said, "no man is an Applebee's entire of itself...every man is a piece of the appetizer, a part of the main entree."

John Donne is a Jesuit whore and doesn’t know shit about Applebees.

6 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Frank Sinatra once sang, "Do be do be do, do do be do be, do be do be do, do do be do be, do be do be do, do do do do be do"

Sinatra is a part of a strong group called the Rat pack. That makes me feel the need to join a group. I will join….

569-A62-CA-172-C-4077-BA2-D-F05-D1-EE24-

OCTOPUS IS OFFICIALLY A FOUR  HORSEMEN 

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think you're thinking of Chili's.

You might be right. In Shakopee there is a  Chili’s that within a year my wife and I have been to at least twice now (both times my Giraffe brother watched lol Octopus, I believe). Each time I felt enamored but the atmosphere and deals but not quite won over as part of the suburban hidden sexually degenerate community as I do in an Applebees. I feel more like an outsider looking into the secrets of the neighborhood then within the secret shame that makes us feel like God. 
So you might have a point. 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

Phone is low on juice. You the masses ask a question and it take longer to answer, just think that my phone died. A fucker was mean mugging me and I said I’d fuck a mother fucker up to myself and someone was gonna sit me and I didn’t realize that was out loud so the walk away to the other side. The mean mugger went from his booth to now at the opposite corner of the bar. I may be weak and boneless but this man as my enemy takes away from my existential meandering towards inward self hate. I will fight him dirty as fuck but it will happen if he tries to mug me when I leave I am in the Four Horsemen now and I will break his ribs.

3 Applebees beers and two El Loro beers and a tequila and soup in. I’m feeling alright. I had a brief moment of self hate sweep over me but luckily got distracted from my own inevitable journey towards self destruction. But life is good. I used to go to bars by myself and slowly get mentally more negative and dark. Now I am a father, a husband, a filmmaker, a film festival director, a derpologist, and 100% more a father. I can get negative but I have a son I love and will do everything I need to do to make sure had a good life and working towards my goals that life is life and I’ll make it through how I need to make through. Tackle demons and fuck shit up

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Chili's, no. O'Charley's, yes. (Shit, I can't remember the Tex-Mex flip of Chili's, what is it? THERE HAS TO BE ONE.)

On the Border? 

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever seen one, but I've had the chips from the store enough... it rates.

(Those chips are your perfectly nuclear sodium bombs btw. They should have a warning about eating more than five before incurring risk of an immediate coronary event.)

Ooooo! Ooooo! On the Border is actually divested by Brinker International, Inc.... who also own Chili's. IT RATES! O'Charley's Spider Man Clone would be Bennigan's.

Because I live in a terrible part of the country, On the Border tortilla chips are on the only decent ones around. So give me sodium or give me death....closely related to my sodium intake.

That said, it's crazy that despite there being a regional difference between Checker's/Rally's and Hardee's/Carl Jr.'s, none of them can stay in business around here for more than a year. I am constantly bombarded with advertising from chains that don't have a restaurant in a 100 mile radius.

I've never seen a Checker's but possibly a Rally's... you know, driving past one on the highway. Champaign-Urbana being a (dual) college town, we get all kinds of crap coming in and out, but have only managed to hold onto one Hardee's on a strip of road that is nothing but fast food/liquor/smokeshops (it has our best greasy local, Niro's Gyros), until it turns into nothing but banks. I think we lost our Steak 'n' Shake and definitely the O'Charley's and the Quizno's. Dammit, I loved Quizno's. Penn Station is fine but doesn't quite add up. But we are also dominated by local corporate wonder Jimmy John's, who was recently divested of its titular owner, known to go big game hunting when not squashing unionization. Lovely, lovely chain...

EDIT: Well shit. We have a Quizno's right on Neil. And I read a list of top sandwich chains in the country and JJ's was number 5. Yeah, shit is fresh, super fast and the chips rule, but living around here you get tired tired tired of that shit. Especially when you live right down the road from one. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1