DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

23 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Shane Douglas wouldn't. Matt is on the right track.

The guy who has a decade plus of exposure being the gravely voice heel yelling I'm gonna franchise your ass doesn't have too much of a character? The guy who wore leather Kengal hats isn't a character? The guy who screamed Dick Flair for years and years and years is a muted calming suit to push narratives forward without the air or threat of possible violence or interjecting himself into any stories?

Uh sorry, no. I'mma have to HARD disagree on that one.

I'm not saying he couldn't play the traditional WWE style GMs that get involved in stories. I'm saying specifically for the Jack Tunney role of a nobody that acts as a story device to move plot without he himself being part of the story he is 1,000% not qualified for that role.

5 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Arn would be a great authority presence. 

Or just have Tony Schiavone announce what Tony Khan told him in his headset.

Or have Prince Nana buy AEW for a season.

Arn just bit someone's finger off, I think that disqualifies him.

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Octopus said:

What are your all time top 5 AEW feuds/ story arcs of AEW? 

Kenny vs Mox

Young Bucks vs Lucha Brothers

Danielson vs Hangman (I’m counting the current program as part of their feud)

Hangmans road to the title (I felt like throwing one story arc in)

Thunder Rosa vs Britt 

• Like 2

I’m certain I’m missing some big ones, but I’d go (in no particular order):

Omega vs. Mox

Punk vs. MJF

The Ballad of Hangman Page

Orange Cassidy’s Improbable Streak

MJF & Wardlow

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m certain I’m missing some big ones, but I’d go (in no particular order):

Omega vs. Mox

Punk vs. MJF

The Ballad of Hangman Page

Orange Cassidy’s Improbable Streak

MJF & Wardlow

I felt like an idiot for leaving off OC’s streak as that’s my current favorite angle. 

For feuds/ Arcs I’ll go with:

- Hangman saga - my favorite use of storytelling in [modern] wrestling?

- CM Punk vs MJF - the best WWE style promo battles 

- Kenny Omega vs Mox (as an off and on rivalry from the beginning) - Battle for the Ace role

- Jericho vs ROH - This save a lackluster ROH assimilation into the company while waiting for a tv show

- Cody TNT title run - introduced beloved characters

honorable mentions:

Brit Baker vs Thunder Rosa (great matches, I don’t recall many segments though)

Cody vs Jericho - my first favorite feud in the company. It was something special.

MJF vs Cody (Should be on the list, the whipping of the chest was wild)

MJF vs Danielson (several best matches in company came from this. A tad formulaic in the actual story)

Orange Cassidy’s current ALL-ATLANTIC OR INTERNATIONAL run (this will make my five unless it ends stupidly)

Hopefully I can add Don Callis vs the Elite because these crowd reactions are spectacular!

what am I forgetting?

• Like 3

For me, MJF/Cody had a legendary build-up but was hurt by the eventual match being nothing special and that it was left open-ended but they never actually came back around to it.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, EVA said:

For me, MJF/Cody had a legendary build-up but was hurt by the eventual match being nothing special and that it was left open-ended but they never actually came back around to it.

You took the words out of my mouth, I was about to post something to the effect of: 'I wonder if Cody hadn't jumped to WWE, if we would just now be circling back to him vs. MJF' 

IMO, now that MJF has won the four pillars match, you can't have a fellow hot prospect, or like a debuting guy beat him - it would shit all over Darby, Sammy, and JB too much. it's imperative that whoever beats him for that title be someone from the past coming back to haunt him - Cody would have been perfect for that (you of course have some removal of the 'no world title' stip in the build).

As things stand now, I think the two most logical choices to revisit would be either Wardlow or Punk - but Wardlow's cooled some and isn't there yet, and Punk I'm not sure I even want sniffing the title.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You took the words out of my mouth, I was about to post something to the effect of: 'I wonder if Cody hadn't jumped to WWE, if we would just now be circling back to him vs. MJF' 

IMO, now that MJF has won the four pillars match, you can't have a fellow hot prospect, or like a debuting guy beat him - it would shit all over Darby, Sammy, and JB too much. it's imperative that whoever beats him for that title be someone from the past coming back to haunt him - Cody would have been perfect for that (you of course have some removal of the 'no world title' stip in the build).

As things stand now, I think the two most logical choices to revisit would be either Wardlow or Punk - but Wardlow's cooled some and isn't there yet, and Punk I'm not sure I even want sniffing the title.

Well then I have just the guy for you. He loves getting into random feuds, and bringing guys that are hot down to a level below where they had been. I give to you, the Inaugural AEW World Champion, Le Champion Chris Jericho.

Actually on a more serious note I think they might circle back to Mox after the BCC/Elite feud ends. Personally I’d prefer they run Kenny vs MJF (and Kenny is someone I think 95% of the audience would get behind beating Max).

• Like 1