DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

5 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I was thinking last night that Fred Rosser would be a good first opponent for Punk. In addition to their NXT history, Rosser said Punk went out of his way to support him in the WWE locker room after he came out.

Punk gets a victory on the first Collision over a NJPW talent he can trust to hype Forbidden Door, Rosser gets national exposure during Pride Month, and KENTA gets even madder that Punk ducks him in favor of a guy he just beat.

I really like this idea, tbh.

• Like 2

Nothing says must see TV like a squash match against a guy who most recently on national TV in the US was a jobber managed by Bob Backlund. Terrible idea lol. I haven't caught any of his New Japan work and if you guys told me it's been really solid I would believe you. But that is just not a match that's going to drive viewership. You need something interesting and appealing, that's why they are announcing it ahead of time. They want to pop a good number for night one... here's this big must see TV event, please come watch.

Fred Rosser aint it.

• Like 3

It's not a blanket rule, it ebbs and flows. You can debut an Ishii or Suzuki and try to portray them as a big deal upon first viewing. But that's because there's no idea of who this is in a new viewer's mind. They haven't been on TV in the US so there's no negative stigma. Darren Young has a significant just another guy stigma from the way WWE used him. You'd need to feature him and build him to remove that negative stigma before he could be effective being portrayed as a big deal.

I realize you're being a little glib because what I said kind of paints your point of view as correct. But there are different goals to be accomplished. Are you trying to draw a rating by something being a big deal? Are you trying to have a good match to make someone look better to your audience? Are you trying to feature someone from a partner promotion to keep your political alliances strong? You can't just fit a one size fits all set of rules to every situation. If Collision was an established thing and AEW's goal was a good match for Punk or to make NJPW happy the Rosser idea works well. But if your goal is to make something feel like a big deal and special for your debut episode to drive viewers it doesn't work.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, twiztor said:

ii'm just starting to watch 2004 ROH for the first time, and i know that series happens eventually (this or next year i assume).

Yeah, it starts that summer with World Title Classic.

I'm glad you're watching 2004 ROH. I hope you enjoy it, especially World Title Classic, The Battle Lines Are Drawn, and Reborn: Stage 2.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Nothing says must see TV like a squash match against a guy who most recently on national TV in the US was a jobber managed by Bob Backlund. Terrible idea lol. I haven't caught any of his New Japan work and if you guys told me it's been really solid I would believe you. But that is just not a match that's going to drive viewership. You need something interesting and appealing, that's why they are announcing it ahead of time. They want to pop a good number for night one... here's this big must see TV event, please come watch.

Fred Rosser aint it.

Eh Fred Roses is solid yet unspectacular, I think punk himself is the draw so just give him a match with somebody he feels comfortable with like when he frost wrestled sydal 

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Eh Fred Roses is solid yet unspectacular, I think punk himself is the draw so just give him a match with somebody he feels comfortable with like when he frost wrestled sydal 

Firstly, Fred Roses is a way better ring name than his legit name, I just need to get that thought out -

Secondly - not that I dislike Rosser's stuff or anything, but I could not agree more with NoFlips about intent/goals.

If the aim is more toward what you're saying (giving Punk a nice, familiar opponent) I see no reason they couldn't go with one of any of the dozens of guys already on the roster that he's wrestled here and elsewhere

If the goal is a legitimate mini-angle where we're setting up Rosser with a Buy In match (or furthering whatever he's got going on in NJPW in some fashion) and we're getting a post-match with whoever Punk's PPV partner is, then that's a different thing entirely IMO. I don't love it - Rosser's not a star yet, as others have said - but I guess at least it's logical (and to Dolphman's point, you can do the history thing with them)

• Like 1

Seamstress Sandra Gray is retiring. I may not be the biggest fan of her output, but I bet she was a very pleasant hard working lady. Word is Codemeister General will still be sporting her work post-retirement. Well, this could be a great opportunity for AEW to look outside of the wrestling bubble box and find a tasteful designer up on the times. Somebody with timeless cuts and stiches who understands the camera lens. I like to imagine a wrestling world some time in the future without all the horrible looking cross patterns, tacky logos and gaudy colo(u)r arrangements. Tho, I know that's a bit too far out there to be anywhere near reality. 

AEW needs a Jack Tunney. Not an Eric Bischoff or a Teddy Long or even a William Regal. They need a dude that is a figurehead president/matchmaker/whatever that ONLY appears to make big announcements. And by "big announcements" I mean anything that Tony Khan would currently do. That's it. I don't want him on tv making matches for later in the show or screwing over faces or dressing down heels. I just want a person who makes announcements instead of Khan. Someone who can talk on tv without looking like a giant weirdo.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Log said:

AEW needs a Jack Tunney. Not an Eric Bischoff or a Teddy Long or even a William Regal. They need a dude that is a figurehead president/matchmaker/whatever that ONLY appears to make big announcements. And by "big announcements" I mean anything that Tony Khan would currently do. That's it. I don't want him on tv making matches for later in the show or screwing over faces or dressing down heels. I just want a person who makes announcements instead of Khan. Someone who can talk on tv without looking like a giant weirdo.

I nominate Shane Douglas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Jack Tunney looked like a giant weirdo.

True, but not quite as giant as TK.

Or maybe its just as simple as having someone tell Khan that it's ok to move a little when you talk. You don't have to stand perfectly still.

Edited by Log

18 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm thinking along the lines of Nick Bockwinkel, who was 60 when he joined WCW as Commissioner

Moving Sting into that role after he retires would probably be the easiest thing to do

Commissioner Borden

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Log said:

Or maybe its just as simple as having someone tell Khan that it's ok to move a little when you talk. You don't have to stand perfectly still.

That's Impact Tony. Scrum Tony. "Nine days from tonight" Tony. He's standing perfectly still because we've already seen what happens when he's permitted freedom of movement.

• Haha 2