DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

What are the most recent "live animal" spots in wrestling?

I feel like the Kennel from Hell was the nail in the coffin for live animal stunts, at least on national TV. I think Sting has done some stuff with crows, and Torrie Wilson came to the ring with a small dog named Chloe in 2006, but it seems very rare over the last 20+ years (likely for the best).

The last Clash should have been the end. In theory, it should have been a cool idea.

I believe the vulture was suppose to bring a note down to the ring so when the lights come back on Bischoff could take it, read it, and act scared. However, at some point, the note got lost or dropped. So the guys just had to stand there for five whole minutes and feign swinging at the bird.

Perhaps the goofiest screw up in wrestling history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

What are the most recent "live animal" spots in wrestling?

I feel like the Kennel from Hell was the nail in the coffin for live animal stunts, at least on national TV. I think Sting has done some stuff with crows, and Torrie Wilson came to the ring with a small dog named Chloe in 2006, but it seems very rare over the last 20+ years (likely for the best).

Taya Valkyrie used to bring her dog to the ring in Impact. Cody Rhodey tried to do the same at the first AEW PPV, only fireworks happened.

13 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Is Baron Corbin the main roster crossover they're talking about, or do they have something else planned?

Corbin, mustafa, and Dana Brooke this past week, and Bron Breakker challenging Rollins to come defend his title next. Seems like it'll be a more regular thing again for awhile

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The last Clash should have been the end. In theory, it should have been a cool idea.

I believe the vulture was suppose to bring a note down to the ring so when the lights come back on Bischoff could take it, read it, and act scared. However, at some point, the note got lost or dropped. So the guys just had to stand there for five whole minutes and feign swinging at the bird.

Perhaps the goofiest screw up in wrestling history.

The craziest thing is how much money they had to pay whenever they used the crow on a show. They had to pay for plane tickets for the crow handler, the crow...and a back-up crow. IIRC, according to JJ Dillon it was like $10K or more anytime they used a crow and they did it more than just at that Clash. They used it for various videos and stuff for Sting. JJ wrote that they should've just gotten a bunch of shots with the crow once and interspliced them but anytime they needed the crow, they'd just fork over the $10K or whatever and fly in the whole crow entourage for one off shoots. WCW paid for plane tickets for a stunt crow...multiple times. How does anyone listen to Eric Bischoff when it comes to the "business of the wrestling business"?

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

The craziest thing is how much money they had to pay whenever they used the crow on a show. They had to pay for plane tickets for the crow handler, the crow...and a back-up crow. IIRC, according to JJ Dillon it was like $10K or more anytime they used a crow and they did it more than just at that Clash. They used it for various videos and stuff for Sting. JJ wrote that they should've just gotten a bunch of shots with the crow once and interspliced them but anytime they needed the crow, they'd just fork over the $10K or whatever and fly in the whole crow entourage for one off shoots. WCW paid for plane tickets for a stunt crow...multiple times. How does anyone listen to Eric Bischoff when it comes to the "business of the wrestling business"?

Then when it come time for a payoff to all of that, which would have paid off..............duuuur ok daddy I’ll do it your way and you won’t have to lose. Hey since I’m a good boy can we do it again tomorrow night? You won’t lose then either I promise. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Congratulations to GUNTHER holding the WWE Intercontinental Championship for an entire year long reign joining Pedro Morales, Randy Savage and The Honky Tonk Man.

Might as well break Honky's record now that they are already within months of it happening.

Wait, I have an even better idea: Have Gunther break the record and have him holding on to the title without putting anyone over for so long that they  have to create a new title that someone else can win something... no, I take that back. That would be a stupid idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mean to pick on Shartnado here, but it's a good jumping off point. This talking point needs to go away.

Smackdown pulled 2.4 million total and a crazy 2.7 million I believe for Roman's segment last week. All the complaining about Roman is unwarranted. It's working. He has a big deal aura. He's surpassed Brock. He's at least on par with Cena as far as presentation and moving the needle. Ratings are up. Attendance is up. And it's because the top guy is being booked so strongly for once (and has very captivating stories happening for him and everyone in his orbit).

I get not enjoying the sameness of one person holding a title. But this is how you really make stars (when you don't have once in a generation performers like Rock & Austin). Roman holding the title this long is great for business. Creating a new title for the other brand isn't ideal but it's TV negotiating time and USA has bitched about not having a champion for a year now. I understand people wanting the shows to align more with what they personally like, but I just wish there was also a stated understanding of what they are doing is right for business, even if it's not your cup of tea.

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't mean to pick on Shartnado here, but it's a good jumping off point. This talking point needs to go away.

Smackdown pulled 2.4 million total and a crazy 2.7 million I believe for Roman's segment last week. All the complaining about Roman is unwarranted. It's working. He has a big deal aura. He's surpassed Brock. He's at least on par with Cena as far as presentation and moving the needle. Ratings are up. Attendance is up. And it's because the top guy is being booked so strongly for once (and has very captivating stories happening for him and everyone in his orbit).

I get not enjoying the sameness of one person holding a title. But this is how you really make stars (when you don't have once in a generation performers like Rock & Austin). Roman holding the title this long is great for business. Creating a new title for the other brand isn't ideal but it's TV negotiating time and USA has bitched about not having a champion for a year now. I understand people wanting the shows to align more with what they personally like, but I just wish there was also a stated understanding of what they are doing is right for business, even if it's not your cup of tea.

This is where I am with Roman's title reign and the Bloodline angle. At this point, I don't really give two shits about the storyline b/c it seemingly just always boils down to, "will the Usos superkick someone or won't they?" but I'm also not going to deny that it's drawing people in and working.

• Thanks 1

@NoFistsJustFlips, I don’t agree with the necessity to feel that someone can not enjoy a booking decision when the business is doing well. Apologies if I’m misreading you. 
I personal don’t mind Roman as super champion. I wish things were a tad different at different points, but he is good at what they want to do. With WWE in general, I can dip in and out.

I agree with @Shartnado in the point I feel he was making that bringing on a new world belt was silly, but if people can care about new World-but-not-as-good-as-Roman belt then neat. Get me to care, I actually think they can get me to. Fingers crossed.
The stinker in me wants wants Roman to win the new belt and have a WWE Triple Crown. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

No no, make the stars all you want. When you commit to someone, then fucking commit! That's great, but then the next one who ever that is deserves a similar chance, so make sure you pick the right one (and make sure it's Pete Dunne, but that's another story). Roman holding the titles for however long is no skin off my nose, I don't have to see any of it. And if the ratings are up, it certainly seems there is no need to change the course they are on.

I just think making another title to represent the "World", when the WWE title already has the lineage of World title unified with it (where ever the lineage of that starts, even if it starts with being handed to HHH in 2002) is stupid. That waters down the whole idea of... shit, I'm not even sure what it waters down at this point?

For what it's worth, Gunther should definitely break Honky's record, but then someone should break that record sooner than 35 years. It was cool that Usos went on to break New Days' record a few years after they broke Demolition's 88-89 record. You know, I wouldn't mind US-tag titles in this case, if some duo is just on an unbeatable streak, but that's beside the point as well.

56 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I'm barking out bro

In other lucha libre news, Rush (and his dad) just up and quit AAA despite being booked in the Triplemania co-main w/ LA Park vs. Psycho Clown & Sam Adonis. He claims he's "completely independent".

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2