DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Speaking of wrestling dorks...

Matt Riddle has apparently failed another drug test and has received another suspension.

Fightful is saying the length is unknown, but it's supposedly in the 3-6 month range and that WWE is going to pay to try to get him to rehab.  

I was in denial but, other people were pointing out that didn't look like he was clean the first week or two that he was back on TV. They obviously like the guy and he was almost immediately put back in matches  with the Bloodline so that's crazy if true

57 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I was in denial but, other people were pointing out that didn't look like he was clean the first week or two that he was back on TV. They obviously like the guy and he was almost immediately put back in matches  with the Bloodline so that's crazy if true

The other day I saw a pic on twitter of him on the red carpet for some adult awards show. I was wondering who in the WWE PR department okay'ed that one. 

43 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, so is the failed test for juice/supplements or for THC? Or for pills? The way y'all are talking it feels like it could be any or all of the above. 

Wouldn't be THC as that's just a fine. So it would be for something else.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

And Cole is aligned with with Roddy Strong who is in better shape now and probably a better worker now than he ever was before. Kyle O'Reilly resonates with me alot more than Cole also. I like Cole but I don't think he was at the level of his push when he was at top of NXT. It's like how people say Justin Credible was a really good worker when he was the Champ in ECW but he wasn't good enough for people to buy into him as Champ. I didn't get to really watch ECW till they got on TNN so I bought into him as Champ but I understand other people point especially those who lived through the previous eras of the Company.

I think Adam Cole is really good but it's hard for me buy in to him as The Guy.

If he was, for example, where Jeff Jarrett is now, he would be just fine. In a tag team vying for the titles and at the same time angling for an International title shot! I wouldn't mind that.

Sounds like WWE is determined to make NXT a "real" third brand, or at least get paid like it is:

“We think NXT has the viability to be its own standalone brand instead of just being a developmental system – a third brand, if you will, where you can see cross-over from our superstars on Raw and SmackDown to NXT while our young talent develops there. Once we get all of that situated, then we will look at other nights of the week to develop new content as well.”

Am I the only one who thinks they are making a big mistake linking it to NXT? Being developmental will always carry negative connotations to most people (not me, one of my favourite things in any sport is watching talent develop and break out).

Wrestling really should bring back the old trope that if you put your opponent out with some sort of sleeper move, it's your responsibility to wake them up before brain damage sets in with an open-handed chop or a stomp to the upper back or something like that. That's an underrated "treat this like it's real" trope that I don't think people do anymore. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Who wakes up guys that pass out in UFC? The ref? 

If the ref does, I hope it's with an elbow drop or Mongolian chop or something.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Who wakes up guys that pass out in UFC? The ref? 

No, the ref aren't trained physicians. That is the responsibility of whoever the cageside chief physician appointed whatever state commission is. Half of the time, the fighter is coming to by the time the physician gets in the cage. The ref's responsibility is just to make sure they aren't experiencing immediate complications from whatever happened and that their opponent or anyone else is far from them.

The old Mark Lewin/Bullet Bob/etc. slap on the back sleeper routine thing is seriously one of the most absurd things of all time but hey it worked at the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, the ref aren't trained physicians. That is the responsibility of whoever the cageside chief physician appointed whatever state commission is. Half of the time, the fighter is coming to by the time the physician gets in the cage. The ref's responsibility is just to make sure they aren't experiencing immediate complications from whatever happened and that their opponent or anyone else is far from them.

The old Mark Lewin/Bullet Bob/etc. slap on the back sleeper routine thing is seriously one of the most absurd things of all time but hey it worked at the time.

This post is proof that language truly does evolve. I didn't realize that English speakers were now using "absurd" as a synonym for "great." 

• Haha 5

Just now, SirSmUgly said:

This post is proof that language truly does evolve. I didn't realize that English speakers were now using "absurd" as a synonym for "great." 

I said it worked for what wrestling is. You wouldn't do that in real life though.

Jesus, I'd hope you wouldn't try to wake someone up from being KO'd with a giant Mongolian chop IRL. If that was an actual thing, I'd be astonished. 

3 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Sounds like WWE is determined to make NXT a "real" third brand, or at least get paid like it is:

“We think NXT has the viability to be its own standalone brand instead of just being a developmental system – a third brand, if you will, where you can see cross-over from our superstars on Raw and SmackDown to NXT while our young talent develops there. Once we get all of that situated, then we will look at other nights of the week to develop new content as well.”

Am I the only one who thinks they are making a big mistake linking it to NXT? Being developmental will always carry negative connotations to most people (not me, one of my favourite things in any sport is watching talent develop and break out).

Huh? Its more or less been running this way for 5 or more years now. They got paid more when NXT went to USA. No reason to not see if they can continue that.

2 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Jesus, I'd hope you wouldn't try to wake someone up from being KO'd with a giant Mongolian chop IRL. If that was an actual thing, I'd be astonished. 

And that's not even the most ridiculous part. First off, you wouldn't try to move the affected person at all let alone try to sit that person up.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Like Savages reviving elbow to Hogan

That was a genuinely funny spot because the implication is that Hogan had kicked out of/shrugged off/Hulked up from so many of them that doing so was now hard coded into his brain from experience. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I love that faces would wake them up, while heels would do stuff like stuff money in their mouth or put a big snake on them.

Now that I think of it, Beefcake was a face when he'd cut their hair. Not very nice of him. DiBiase's was nicer because at least you woke up with a few more dollars than you went to sleep with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That reminds of a question I forgot to ask: Maybe Jake already answered this on podcast, but did someone from an animal activism/animal rights organization ever protest Jake throwing snakes all around the ring and tossing them on opponents? I definitely believe that wouldn't fly today.

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Speaking of wrestling dorks...

Matt Riddle has apparently failed another drug test and has received another suspension.

Fightful is saying the length is unknown, but it's supposedly in the 3-6 month range and that WWE is going to pay to try to get him to rehab.  

Looks like SRS debunked that as a fake post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That reminds of a question I forgot to ask: Maybe Jake already answered this on podcast, but did someone from an animal activism/animal rights organization ever protest Jake throwing snakes all around the ring and tossing them on opponents? I definitely believe that wouldn't fly today.

He got arrested for Animal abuse in England. He got banned from owning pets anywhere in the UK.

That was when he was retired but not yet sober though.

• Thanks 1