DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

21 minutes ago, elizium said:

She's not been working a light schedule either. According to cagematch she's wrestled 66 matches this year, which puts her 26th in the world on their listing, and had 129 matches in 2022, 58th on their list.

I wish I'd been wired like she was at my age to have that many balls in the air at once. Good lord. I especially love the solitary TJP booking she took in March... I'm guessing she would've stuck around longer but that statistics exam back home wasn't going to take itself.

Rollins and to a lesser extent, Cole work to a casual and live audience to me, assuming that the majority there, either a) don't watch the weekly programming religiously and b) are there because it's in their town and/or they're humouring their much more into it friend/child.

Based on that premise, you could easily assume that their formulaic TV match is something special only you and your town are seeing, that this guy is pulling out all the ridiculous shit that no-one else is, with an energy that screams this is one night only stuff.

...and then you see the top rope falcon arrow every other week, and the dives at the same point in every match, and the silly head drops that get a two count in the same sequence.

So while you're sort of happy they're not raising the bar even further and doing something even sillier, you're still cynical enough to be disgruntled that you never get to see a different type of dog and pony show from guys good enough to offer it.

It's also why I really like the HHH/Rollins match at Mania as it's possibly the only Rollins singles match I've ever seen that's not like every other one.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 4

Adam Cole is scrawny and the Panama Sunrise is the dumbest finisher in years. that's why i don't like him. More the latter than the former, but both hold true. Didn't see anything from him pre-AEW.

i don't watch WWE at all, but in my limited Royal Rumble/WrestleMania viewings from years past, i didn't think Rollins was bad. But he's also a semi-local boy, so maybe i was more forgiving than i would have been otherwise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Adam Cole is scrawny and the Panama Sunrise is the dumbest finisher in years. that's why i don't like him. More the latter than the former, but both hold true. Didn't see anything from him pre-AEW.

i don't watch WWE at all, but in my limited Royal Rumble/WrestleMania viewings from years past, i didn't think Rollins was bad. But he's also a semi-local boy, so maybe i was more forgiving than i would have been otherwise?

That stupid little hop before the Panama Sunrise, yeesh. With you on Adam Cole, friend xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

The Iron Sheik was a pretty damn great worker in his day,  looking back at some old house shows recently.   Tremendous Boot Camp match with Sgt. Slaughter.  He was a great bumper.  Obviously, the heat he generated in his day was nearly riot inducing.  

14 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Took forever to load because of all the Twitter posts I believe 

Oh that is a shame. It doesn't have that issue with other forums I am on. 

Maybe it is an issue with the the company they are using for this forum and the lack of upgrading etc.

Not pointing any fingers....**but** I think it has a lot to do with people posting random pictures without any explanation (if it's not a separate Twitter post with said explanation). I would imagine that would cut down on some of the spammy posts cause folks gotta know this ain't your personal image uploading/hosting website.

• Like 4

Posting a picture with no explanation of who it's a picture of is one thing. Having people reply and ask who it's a picture of, and not telling them, that's something else.

• Like 1

Were there any TV angles that lead to the Slaughter/Sheik house show run in 84? I was 6 years old...but I vividly remember stuff like Tito vs Valentine but have no recollection of much about Slaughter vs Sheik on TV. 

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Adam Cole is scrawny and...

While this has been discussed to death and back (along with Young Bucks), I don't mind these guys matches, with the right opponents, I like them a lot. However, these guys are in the aesthetics business, like it or not. And for me, I like my wrestlers looking better than your average 5'6" 170lb 46-year old factory worker. It's just tough shit for them that the factory worker in question happens to be me.

Most of these guys have to luxury of youth on their side and probably decent info on nutrition and stuff (Billy Gunn), so they should make more of an effort, since they are on national TV and such. Granted, I will still enjoy their matches, but there is definitely a reason why someone like Buddy Matthews is among my top favorites (and [insert name] isn't) but yeah if I need to write more about this, I'll go to the Naval-gaze thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Were there any TV angles that lead to the Slaughter/Sheik house show run in 84? I was 6 years old...but I vividly remember stuff like Tito vs Valentine but have no recollection of much about Slaughter vs Sheik on TV. 

It’s like the only non Piper angle of the year:

• Thanks 1

Speaking of wrestling dorks...

Matt Riddle has apparently failed another drug test and has received another suspension.

Fightful is saying the length is unknown, but it's supposedly in the 3-6 month range and that WWE is going to pay to try to get him to rehab.  

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

While this has been discussed to death and back (along with Young Bucks), I don't mind these guys matches, with the right opponents, I like them a lot. However, these guys are in the aesthetics business, like it or not. And for me, I like my wrestlers looking better than your average 5'6" 170lb 46-year old factory worker. It's just tough shit for them that the factory worker in question happens to be me.

And Cole is aligned with with Roddy Strong who is in better shape now and probably a better worker now than he ever was before. Kyle O'Reilly resonates with me alot more than Cole also. I like Cole but I don't think he was at the level of his push when he was at top of NXT. It's like how people say Justin Credible was a really good worker when he was the Champ in ECW but he wasn't good enough for people to buy into him as Champ. I didn't get to really watch ECW till they got on TNN so I bought into him as Champ but I understand other people point especially those who lived through the previous eras of the Company.

I think Adam Cole is really good but it's hard for me buy in to him as The Guy.

• Like 2