DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

17 minutes ago, colonial said:

If you want to stretch things, the Fabs worked an OVW show in 2000 that had a few WWF names and developmental guys sprinkled in. Fabs wrestled Derrick King and Jason Lee on the show. Main event was Kane/Damaja (Danny Basham) vs. D-Lo/Rob Conway. There was also a Kurt Angle/Sylvester Terkay singles bout -- I believe the two wrestled against one another in college so might be a curiosity (even though Terkay wasn't that great a pro).

Regarding Stan Lane and the paternity story, Drudge Report had a link to a story that referred to Lane as "ex-WWE" and featured a photo of a cowboy wrestler who clearly is not Lane. (Bobby Duncum Jr., perhaps?)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

The news got me thinking… did Stan Lane ever wrestle for the WWF? (Not counting his stint as a color commentator of course.)

By the time WWF had their crossover with SMW, Jimmy Del Ray had already replaced Stan in the Heavenly Bodies. Did the Fabs ever have a one-off at MSG?

When the Fabolous Ones were a thing, they would have been too busy to do WWF. Plus, I doubt they would have fit the motif WWF wanted with their tag teams.

When WWF did their heart throb tags teams, it was always the young vanilla babyfaces with some spunkiness to them. Sometimes, you got an exception but they never veered towards what the Fabs were.

Same thing on the heel side when Lane was in the Midnight Express when they had that brush with almost being signed to WWF. They could have had some excellent matches but Vince would have given them a silly fucking gimmick and that would have neutered them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I guess the Fantastics never got a shot (or maybe they did and I just don't know) because they were too busy in NWA territory. They seem like the kind of baby team Vince would have gobbled up based on physique alone. 

That's another one Vince probably wouldn't have gotten. Plus, Tommy wasn't exactly the biggest or charismatic guy in the world.

It was sad when they had to face the Faces of Fear on Nitro in 96, and the whole act looked super antiquated. They also looked so tiny next to those guys.

If they had went to WWF in their prime, they probably would have gotten the same treatment once Vince gave up on them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You did later have Tommy wrestle Bobby in the WWF Light Heavyweight tournament, IIRC. 

I think that was a one-off (Rogers had one other match with Brian Christopher taped on the same night, a Raw and Shotgun Saturday Night taping in the metropolis of Lake Placid in front of 2700 fans - I did not realize that they still did those small-town Raws by the summer of 97) organized by Jim Cornette. I know Corny has talked about the circumstances of that match, maybe on WWF Timeline.

• Like 1

The NWO doc is on TV right now and I've never seen it (and there's nothing else on) so I'm giving it a watch. Never, ever saw or knew about them legit pushing the Steiners off the road and the car FLIPPING. That looked crazier than Gilbert running over Lawler. I'm surprised they didn't show it over and over because it's Turner, but also unsurprised they never showed it again because it's Turner. Who's call was that, because Turner later flipped over the Randy Anderson firing? They clearly weren't watching that close because it took complaints for that to blow up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Same thing on the heel side when Lane was in the Midnight Express when they had that brush with almost being signed to WWF. They could have had some excellent matches but Vince would have given them a silly fucking gimmick and that would have neutered them.

When the Harris Twins first showed up in the WWF, before they shaved their heads and became Skull and 8 Ball, they were working as the Blu Brothers, Jacob and Eli. For ages I was convinced that Vince came up with those names years earlier, when he wanted to have a tag team doing a Blues Brothers (Jake and Elwood) gimmick.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

When the Harris Twins first showed up in the WWF, before they shaved their heads and became Skull and 8 Ball, they were working as the Blu Brothers, Jacob and Eli. For ages I was convinced that Vince came up with those names years earlier, when he wanted to have a tag team doing a Blues Brothers (Jake and Elwood) gimmick.

Based on how creative ran back in the mid 90s, it's more likely Bruce got stoned, watched the Blues Brothers the night before work, and pitched it the next morning.

FWIW They were the Bruise Brothers prior to WWF, even though the teams of the 80s who used that same name were doing the Blues Brothers type gimmick.

I wonder if there are Secret Pro Wrestling Matches held in secluded Orlando-arena barns where AEW vs. WWE (maybe even CMLL vs. AAA or Bushiroad vs. CyberAgent) dream matches happen and the entirely-insider crowd is sworn to secrecy and there's explicit instructions to upload said matches to FutureTube in the event of both parties' demise (or their bosses').

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I wonder if there are Secret Pro Wrestling Matches held in secluded Orlando-arena barns where AEW vs. WWE (maybe even CMLL vs. AAA or Bushiroad vs. CyberAgent) dream matches happen and the entirely-insider crowd is sworn to secrecy and there's explicit instructions to upload said matches to FutureTube in the event of both parties' demise (or their bosses').

They take place after Vince's weekly medical treatments designed to cheat death for one more week when he gets his booster shot.

the-simpsons-inject.gif

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

well, you're close to the truth. you see, what really happens is the get a few wrestlers from the different companies together, rent a ring, an.....

[edit] my lawyer has instructed me to delete this comment and never mention it again.[/edit]

no, of course something like you suggested couldn't happen. 😉

Edited by twiztor
lawyer interference
  • Haha 4

Points to ponder:

Adam Cole and Seth Rollins are not liked by a majority of people here and elsewhere in the wrestling fandom community. 

Yet both are incredibly over with live audiences and have been for years.

They are doing something right.

So… what are they doing right? I am tossing out the question for a jumping off point because I think it is an interesting way to think about those two.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Points to ponder:

Adam Cole and Seth Rollins are not liked by a majority of people here and elsewhere in the wrestling fandom community. 

So… what are they doing right? I am tossing out the question for a jumping off point because I think it is an interesting way to think about those two.

I'm half kidding, but having interactive entrance music I think is a factor. Maybe not "the" factor but it can't be discounted either. Fans love to feel like part of the show.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm half kidding, but having interactive entrance music I think is a factor. Maybe not "the" factor but it can't be discounted either. Fans love to feel like part of the show.

You know what? I don’t think you’re wrong. Their theme music and presentation en route to the ring both really stand out. I don’t think it’s the only reason but having the interactivity of both them really does help. A strong entrance really works for every wrestler who has one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Points to ponder:

Obviously it's that we're really smart and everyone else is dumb! (I kid)

But I do think it may be as simple as a lot of the people here just looking for different things in their wrestling than the people who watch more "causually".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

So… what are they doing right?

maybe the average person in that fandom community is just out of touch with the people outside of our bubble?

sort of the equivalent to the people who don't listen to any commercial radio but listen to radio stations that run pledge drives annually

or cordcutters that dramatically overestimate their numbers and are surprised that people still watch certain shows