DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/24/2023

The Natural

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Excuse my language but what the absolute fuck?

Sabu randomly showing up and being treated like a huge deal is everything that is great about AEW. If anything the issue isn't that they brought in Sabu to be awesome but that the best thing they can think to do with him is this Adam Cole/Chris Jericho thing. He should be all over Anarchy in the Arena or just in a little insert box doing his pose in the corner of the screen for the whole PPV. I just don't get you at all, man.

Holy shit yes.  Sabu randomly popping up onscreen after every crazy spot like the Mortal Kombat TOASTY! guy would rule this and all worlds.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Honestly, I'm racking my brain for a Sabu promo without Fonzie and the best I can do is WWECW '06.

He teased speaking at the EVOLVE show that closed ECW Arena in 2012 before it was renovated, with Joey Styles in the ring saying "Sabu wants to speak!" and the crowd chanting "HOLY SHIT". But then Sami Callihan came out and beat him up.

Kind of like when Penn & Teller were guests on The Daily Show years ago with Craig Kilborn, and Teller promised to speak before their interview was over. And when Kilborn was thanking them for coming, he said "hey weren't you going to speak?" and Teller said "fuck that", which was bleeped. Brilliant stuff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Excuse my language but what the absolute fuck?

Sabu randomly showing up and being treated like a huge deal is everything that is great about AEW. If anything the issue isn't that they brought in Sabu to be awesome but that the best thing they can think to do with him is this Adam Cole/Chris Jericho thing. He should be all over Anarchy in the Arena or just in a little insert box doing his pose in the corner of the screen for the whole PPV. I just don't get you at all, man.

Once again, his involvement in Cole/Jericho is dumb and makes no sense. It's random as hell. If he was like the guest referee for Anarchy in the Arena it would make more sense if you wanted a role for him at the PPV.

Sabu is a babyface. Babyfaces hate cheaters. The JAS like to cheat. Therefore Sabu hates the JAS.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Sabu is a babyface. Babyfaces hate cheaters. The JAS like to cheat. Therefore Sabu hates the JAS.

It's an unsanctioned match. It's not cheating if it's not against the rules. 

Taya vs Frost was probably Taya's best performance in AEW so far even with the hiccups. I can't imagine that a 2nd match with Jade will come out better. Sad

Hopefully with the hand that Willow was dealt she can continue her momentum and emerge a star. It seemed like TK was really behind her at one point but she got lost in Outcasts shuffle.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's an unsanctioned match.

I mean, that's all the on-screen reasoning I need, truthfully - I guess maybe it would have been a little more easily digestible by some segments of the audience if there was a bit more exposition on Sabu having innovated a lot of the things we're going to see during the match.

Speaking strictly about your own opinion, out of curiosity, would it have worked for you more if the announcers had touched on that more, or are you against the use of Sabu at all?

Sabu is basically what you would get if the Original Sheik kept in shape and got his fashion sense from Pitbull. It's mind-boggling to think he's 58 now... in my mind he's still 29 and tearing the house down with 2 Cold Scorpio at Hardcore Heaven '94 (first ECW show I ever attended). Makes you wish he'd been smarter about his business over the years.

Also, Melissa "Super Genie" Coates on his badge. Good stuff.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, mystman said:

Alright show, the highlight for me though was Willow's "AND I WON!!!"

She's an absolute treasure.

They need to have her be on Collision every week defending against all comers. I know it’s Rosa’s show but Willow is a superstar in the making, a natural babyface, and a real talent.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Nineteen said:

I know it'd be the SHITTIEST way to end a PPV but wondering if Jack feeds into the darkside and is the one to lay down for MJF. Darby's been on fire for this build up but the reign of terror still has a long way to go.

I had this exact same thought, something about Jack’s promo somehow gave me that vibe.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

At first I thought this was an "am I the asshole?" reference and I had no idea what you were talking about.

AITA for sticking a screwdriver in a guy's eye to protect the sanctity of professional wrestling?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It’s important everyone knows that Danielson was going on about wrestling bears while on commentary during the commercial break.

Did he mean that like ginger or like …. Trevor Murdoch/Otis? 

• Haha 2

Big fan of the Aussie Open signing, have enjoyed them as a tag team and Kyle Fletcher is growing as a singles wrestler too.

If you had told me last year that Orange Cassidy would be my favorite wrestler in AEW and I’d be arguing for him being top 5 in the world in May 2023 I would’ve probably shrugged and said “whatever”. Seriously though, I loved the match, thought the Bugs Bunny stalling during PiP was brilliant, agree with others that I didn’t like the kick outs of so many bombs but I guess it’s part of his run that he’s a bottomless well of resilience (and like Bugs Bunny you only think you’ve got him beat).

Lots of talking after this, gotta promote the PPV, and overall a decent job of it. Smart to have Perry do a pre-record. Like I said above, I would not be 100% surprised to see him lay down for MJF after a long match and pull a “I did it all for you fans and you never really loved me” promo.

Didn’t care for Dax calling Karen a bitch, and not exactly sure where this angle is going but I think it’ll be a great match.

Sammy is fine with his segment, still a little weird to see him trying to be a face. I presume that’s why Tay has been absent for a while.

Trios match is a fun little spot fest, the lucha rules (1-in 1 out) was a nice touch and was well used within the match, as was the subtle psychology of making an actual tag allowing the 5 second double team.

Danielson and Mox cut great promos, selling the hell out of Anarchy in the Arena. Probably the top reason I’m buying it.

MJF has one of those moments where he does a really good job selling the match and the 4 pillars concept, then goes on the bidding thing and I tune out.  Darby cuts a decent promo and they really are selling the idea of Darby as champion. The rest is fine, overall a decent job selling the main event.

Shocked that Taya comes out first, and that Lady Frost gets an entrance. Announcers do a good job telling her story and some backstory on Taya. Match is fine, pacing and storytelling needed some fine-tuning. I don’t believe for one second that Taya will win at the PPV, nor do I think it will be a good match. Is Stat due back soon please?

in-ring/live contract signings have been happening for as long as I’ve been watching wrestling and I’ve never been a fan. This is no different. I accidentally had Saba spoiled for me, which would have been a legit shocker live. That said, I never watched ECW in their heyday and so I’ve only had limited exposure to Sabu and he looks pretty old. Sorry, I’m sure he’ll take a crazy bump and bleed buckets on Sunday but keep it to a one-off.

I have a feeling Hayter is going to lose and needing more time to heal.

I loved Garcia-Strong, it was stiff, well-paced, lots of character moments from Garcia, announcers put over Strong’s working the back. Best of 7?

Congrats to Willow!! Not sure if that title win was an audible but I hope AEW makes her best of it and builds a superstar. She should be one of the main attractions on Collision.

Main event was fine, you have Claudio being an amazing base, Fenix doing some flying, Penta doing a little flying, Yuta being a little shit, Elite interference. I don’t know 100% that an ending where the Young Bucks run and hide in the crowd after some weak-ass super kicks is the way to close out the go home show. Sure seems like this angle has supplanted the world title match.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

They need to have her be on Collision every week defending against all comers. I know it’s Rosa’s show but Willow is a superstar in the making, a natural babyface, and a real talent.

I came across a Thunder Rosa interview last week where she mentioned that she actually hasn't been cleared to get back in the ring. I imagine it'll be a few more months before we see anything transpire with her. In the meantime, it is the perfect platform to elevate someone like Willow 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Oh yeah, just remembered that I loved the HoB finish. Good use of the weird House Rules gimmick. Brody’s hanging choke is one of the best spots in wrestling today.

I like how the unique rules have come into play in their matches so far. 

One week, I want to see someone throw out something crazy like one counts ending the match. 

On Twitter, Danhausen asked to join HoB and I think Murphy said no. So Danhausen said what if he has a House Rules match with them and his wild card is he’s in the HoB. Pretty funny. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A fun go home show, but no doubt marred by the not-so-happy hour Vegas crowd. OC v Fletcher was good. The sluggish audience and vast amount of finishers certainly played against it, but it was still pretty good. During the commercial break the crowd was booing OC's roll out antics. Interesting. Have we seen a crowd boo OC? I love the Aussie Open signing, but I'm a bit sad the match with FTR won't be the thing to most look forward to at Forbidden Door. Now what are we getting, fucking Yoshi Hashi and Goto? Ugh, I'll get over it shortly. Rick Starks promo with his classic combo of stellar flow and empty content. The attack felt like a tired trope, but always nice to see the Bullets. Jungle Boy promo was 'perfectly fine'. FTR promo felt a bit rushed and a bit heelish. Anybody else find multiple guys coming out holding their own microphone kinda lame? Small detail, but I want one mic, pick it up at the desk, and pass it around (or steal it from your adversary). Happy to see Briscoe lay out all those motherfuckers. I really wanted to see a showdown with Satnam where the big man backs down for the sake of the heel cause. Mark fucking rules. Sammy promo was fine, but, as a Sammy fan, I look forward to the end of this babyface experiment. House of Black v Fox/Metalik/Christian was a fun competitive enhancement bout. Still not quite digging the silly lighting, but it was better than last time. The finish was fucking awesome. They can go slow, but they need to sustain a strong push for Brody going forward. Ppl r ready for it. Love all these backstage BCC promos. I dig Renee, but they could use more straight to the camera promos and less interviewee is interrupted or attacked. MJF promo was mostly good. He did a good job of putting over his opponents until he went on about 'no competition'. What the fuck!?! There's enough ppl that feel that way about his upcoming PPV opponents. Best to steer clear of that line of thinking, no? Darby did a good job on his end of the promo, but looked a bit silly assuming dastardly Friedman wouldn't cheap shot him in the ballsack. I was watching Taya v Frost wishing it was at Universal Studios. The match was fine regardless of the lack of live interest. Interesting attire for Leila Grey. I'm a fan of the Tony Khan promo. Looking forward to the long awaited Punk return. Strong Hangman Page promo. The cowboy's shit is generally spot on. Cole-Jericho Contract Signing featured some good mic work. And Sabu! Awesome! And yes would've been far more awesome if they knew how and when to actually do a proper lights out. Happy to see suited Sabu get some Elite money. Daniel Garcia v Roderick Strong is a match I need a second look at. As expected, I dug what I saw here. Garcia's really going for it with the dancing! Nice Willow Nighingale promo. Willow's star continues to rise, and we, seemingly everybody on the board and in the arenas, are here for it! Is she potentially the new breakout huge money drawing star? I suggest: maybe yes. Lucha Bros v Claudio/Yuta looked terrific from what I saw. Yeah, caught the Bear talk from Danielson. His commentary is always fantastic. Love the 3/4 nelson talk even better. Sometimes I think Claudio is the best wrestler in the company right now. I suspect this Main Event tag and the Garcia-Strong bouts will provide even more fun on view 2. Nice Moxley promo to close things out. Tho, I was hoping for a little Kenny and a little Hanger here. Fun show. I hope the out-of-towners wake Vegas the fuck up on Sunday. 

• Like 4

I did not get to that part of the show yet since I was also watching the Survivor finale. I am also not sure if everyone’s age. But for those of you who were not watching wrestling and ECW in the 90s:

Seeing Sabu being wheeled out in a Hannibal Lecter mask with Paul E. narrating him as the most homicidal, suicidal and genocidal wrestler while he was doing Assai moonsaults into the crowd and jumping through tables literally reinvented wrestling. Sabu blew everyone’s minds. 

A lot of smart fans used to criticize Sabu matches because of how much stuff he could blow but all of that to me was besides the point — the guy was chaos in human form. 

Absolute Mt. Rushmore wrestler and maybe the most underrated wrestler ever because Sabu was probably the first person people traded tapes for and indie wrestling might not even without him, 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sabu claims he used to botch moves on purpose. The crowd would chant "You fucked up" and he would be facedown on the floor, grinning to himself, "Got 'em again!".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1